Fix Crimson Straight

35 replies to this topic

#1 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

I'm done playing "stand on the platform and wait to be killed." I use VOIP, in game chat, but pugs are pugs and just wait there to die. I've stuck with my team in the past but from now on I'm going YOLO and hopefully they follow and maybe we'll have a good game. Anything but just stand there and get rolled every time. This level is that bad. My suggestion to fix it is to either get rid of that mountain or at least make it less dramatic and also have a much bigger platform with more cover and access points. If I had to estimate, I'd say 90% of battles take place at the platform and they almost always suck. Make that area of the map more interesting so there can be some maneuvering. Right now it takes much more coordination to make something happen than solo ques can handle.

#2 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

Nearly all the maps have that One Focal Point™ where the battle's tend to rage. Those that don't? Those have nascar.

#3 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:13 AM

If the map was changed, some other point would become the go-to battle location.

I do have to say though ... every match that I can remember on Crimson has been a running battle. Usually weaving among the buildings. It may start at the platform, but it usually either goes over the saddle or down one of the ramps.

#4 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

Wierd cause its rare I fight on platform....its usually cover the tunnel, or go over the gap/pass

#5 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:53 AM

If you on the side of the platform always found it best to hold the top and the ramps and kill till you get the edge then move out to mop up when the time comes. Why give up the best position unless you are forced?

#6 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

This map just needs more going on in the middle. The maneuvers to take the platform, go over the saddle, tunnel rush are all or nothing. That kind of commitment to a plan just isn't there in solo drops. I wish there was a bigger platform, more buildings, a second platform nearby, just anything to make this map a little easier to play with a rag tag pug group. I guess I want more cover and room to carry the team. Maybe a two mode system (work as a team or screw off with a 12 flamer nova) would fix the teamwork issue. IDK but I hate this map.

#7 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

The only problem on crimson straight is people became suddenly stupid. They stay back at D4 and wait to get gangbanged instead of moving up like they used to.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

Nearly all the maps have that One Focal Point™ where the battle's tend to rage. Those that don't? Those have nascar.

That has more to do with bad gamemode design than bad map design.

Bad gamemode = always fight in same spot over and over

Good gamemode = gets you to fight in different spots every game and adds variation to the game

#9 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

Perhaps it would be best to move Theta to the island in the water?

That would force teams to manoeuvre to said island to take Theta. Plus the island already provides great cover around all sides. While the platform would still be useful, it would not be the focal point during Conquest mode games.

#10 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:55 PM

Perhaps it would be best to move Theta to the island in the water?

That would force teams to manoeuvre to said island to take Theta. Plus the island already provides great cover around all sides. While the platform would still be useful, it would not be the focal point during Conquest mode games.

Then its not equidistant to the spawn points of both teams. Youd be giving the team that spawns near the island an advantage.

#11 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

The biggest problem with Crimson Strait is that 1 side of the map has only 1 valid approach to get anywhere (i.e the bridge) and the other side of the map can go through the pass (and usually get stomped because the entire enemy team will always be there) or they can go through the city (or maybe the tunnel which is a very minor variation) and then end up approaching the bridge anyways because there's nowhere else to go from there.

The map needs to be opened up more in that area and the desolate water areas out in the open with no cover also need to be changed.

#12 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:13 PM

What tier is this where the fighting takes place on TOP of the platform?

#13 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

NO, don't do it! Any map they touch ends up saturated in dense fog!

I used to be able to see in front of me, but then these map revamps started. I WANT to witness the beauty of these map overhauls, but apparently PGI does not want that to happen.

#14 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,970 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:32 PM

All of the best battles on Crimson that I've ever played, were done no where near that platform.

Its a deathtrap deluxe, and people just sit there like zombies to be LRM'ed to death and surrounded.

#15 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

Crimson is fine. One of the best maps in the game, honestly.

#16 McMatt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:12 PM

Looking at my statistic, Crimson Strait has highest win ratio. Main battles are most of the time around platform, but also at many other places. So for me, that map is better than many others.

#17 Rigmoran

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:36 PM

If you want them to fix obviously you haven't played this game very much. IMO, all the maps they changed are worse than they were before the changes. River City still has the same problem. Now it's just easier for some people to wonder off by themselves. Same with Forest Colony. Sure bigger is better but they over did it just a bit. And Caustic, I used to love that map because it was wide open and easy to move around in without getting stuck on every stupid little thing. Now you can't see anything and there is all kinds of junk laying around to get snagged on.

#18 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:44 PM

View Postadamts01, on 08 October 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

I'm done playing "stand on the platform and wait to be killed." I use VOIP, in game chat, but pugs are pugs and just wait there to die. I've stuck with my team in the past but from now on I'm going YOLO and hopefully they follow and maybe we'll have a good game. Anything but just stand there and get rolled every time. This level is that bad. My suggestion to fix it is to either get rid of that mountain or at least make it less dramatic and also have a much bigger platform with more cover and access points. If I had to estimate, I'd say 90% of battles take place at the platform and they almost always suck. Make that area of the map more interesting so there can be some maneuvering. Right now it takes much more coordination to make something happen than solo ques can handle.

This is because assault mechs are easy to kill, and all mechs are capable of putting out a lot of firepower.

-Reduce the firepower of lights and fast mediums a lot.....or reduce their armor and structure an insane amount....if they're giving up armor for speed and small profile.... they should die or lose the body part when someone actually manages to hit.
-Reduce the firepower of slow mediums and fast heavies a little....or reduce their armor and structure a moderate amount.
-Increase the armor of slow heavies and fast assaults a little....they already do plenty of damage
-Increase the armor of slow assaults a lot, they're so slow and big that they're virtually impossible to miss....the armor needs to go up to match this fact....

Suddenly your assaults won't be cowering scared of 2 light mechs, b/c they know if they can actually hit them... the things will actually die.

Instead they'll be forced to take the front lines like everyone wants, b/c in order to take down the enemy assault lance... the ally assault lance will actually have to get out and take some damage as well as do the damage that can no longer be done by a bunch of steering wheel full throttle lights and mediums with zero fear.

Edited by The Atlas Overlord, 08 October 2015 - 09:56 PM.

#19 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:46 PM

Reduce the firepower of lights and fast mediums a lot.
Reduce the firepower of slow mediums and fast heavies a little.
Increase the armor of slow heavies and fast assaults a little.
Increase the armor of slow assaults a lot.

need to reduce the speed of fast heavies too to help give mediums their role back. kindve hard for mediums to compete against timberwolves that go 90kph.

#20 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostKhobai, on 08 October 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

need to reduce the speed of fast heavies too to help give mediums their role back. kindve hard for mediums to compete against timberwolves that go 90kph.

Very Very true....

If I had my way it would look something like this with our current armor values unchanged.

Lights 80-100kph and firepower of 5-15
Mediums 65-80 and firepower of 15-25
Heavies 50-65 and firepower of 25-35
Assaults 35-50 and firepower of 40-60

In addition, every mech would have a fixed torso twist, mech turn, acceleration, deceleration, and arm movement speed....bigger engine would just increase top speed.

Bring a small slow engine... you have enough tons left to max out the firepower...

Bring the fastest engine... welp, you won't be doing much damage... but you'll have that speed you want so you can hopefully use it to avoid enemy fire and live longer to build up damage over time rather than needing to be able to defend yourself with pure firepower.

So at the extreme ends... you'd have a 35kph slow ass assault praying that he could bring his big ass weapons to bear against a 100kph light whittling him down.

If the assault pilot can't aim... he loses.

If the light pilot isn't good enough to use his speed and small size to avoid the big guns.. .he dies.

Choices. Trade-offs. Roles.

Edit: This would have the added benefit of making the "race to the same spot and do the same thing" impossible b/c your slow guys would actually be slow.

Maps would take longer to traverse and would seem bigger.

So it would create roles, force choices to matter, AND undo the need to constantly keep redoing maps b/c "They're too small"

Edited by The Atlas Overlord, 08 October 2015 - 10:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users