"dude, Zoom Out"

22 replies to this topic

#1 Kanin Zeta

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

I don't know how many times I've heard this yelled by spectators. DUDE, you're spectating, let the person who is still in the fight FIGHT without your distractions.

If I'm zoomed in during a furball it's because I either don't want to take my concentration off the fight to zoom out or it's because I'm trying to pluck off a leg.

Some people have bad eyes, some people like to target components and you aren't helping them.

Even LESS helpful is telling them they wouldn't have died if they'd just listened to you and zoomed out. If I'm in a Battlemaster and die to a Spider in a whirling fight, it ain't the zoom that did me in :P

#2 8Ball-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 292 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

I've thought of telling folks to try zooming in way more than I have telling them to zoom out. Like when I see people shooting at a mech at 1000 meters and the entire mech fits inside their reticle. With a sight picture like that you're just hoping to hit the mech rather than shooting at a particular part.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

Not to mention, when spectating, you don't see what they see.

You don't have their FOV settings. You're not running the same resolution, and don't have the same size display. Or maybe you do: if they need to zoom in or out, they'll zoom in or out. Not rocket science.

#4 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

View PostKanin Zeta, on 26 February 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

If I'm in a Battlemaster and die to a Spider in a whirling fight, it ain't the zoom that did me in Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Saw a guy using 4x zoom when trying to fight off a brawling Light. Guess he was really dead set on hitting its toe or something.

#6 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 February 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

Saw a guy using 4x zoom when trying to fight off a brawling Light. Guess he was really dead set on hitting its toe or something.

If he's got advanced zoom on and he's brawling with a light, telling him to take it off isn't going to help. He's not going to win that fight.

However, at normal max zoom? I fight lights with normal max zoom on all the time and have no trouble. Sure, sometimes, he's out of my field of view. But I still know where he is. And when he IS in my field of view, he's a much easier target - helpful vs. tiny-hitbox mechs. As I run a wide FOV normally, when zoomed out those hitboxes are *tiny* and I'm not nearly the twitch player I was in my youth. I'm perfectly comfortable with that, personally - it's how I've fought lights for years, and it works quite well for me. After all, you never have, and I highly doubt you ever will, see me complain that Lights are OP at all... And I'm ultimately an Assault pilot.

#7 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

View PostKanin Zeta, on 26 February 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

I don't know how many times I've heard this yelled by spectators. DUDE, you're spectating, let the person who is still in the fight FIGHT without your distractions.

If I'm zoomed in during a furball it's because I either don't want to take my concentration off the fight to zoom out or it's because I'm trying to pluck off a leg.

Some people have bad eyes, some people like to target components and you aren't helping them.

Even LESS helpful is telling them they wouldn't have died if they'd just listened to you and zoomed out. If I'm in a Battlemaster and die to a Spider in a whirling fight, it ain't the zoom that did me in Posted Image

Eh, I'll go ahead and admit that I've spectated and THOUGHT to myself "Dude, zoom out" but I've never vocalized it or typed it in chat. But just so you understand where we're all coming from: It's to increase your situational awareness, because it would be really nice to know that one of his buddies is walking up on you and being zoomed out increases your chances that you'll notice him. Either that or one of your own friends has showed up and it would be best not to get into his line of fire. Plus you have to move the mouse around just a little bit less to bring your guns to bear if you're zoomed out. And also, the closer you are standing to your opponent, the easier it would be for him to run out of your field of view.

But I'm not here to tell anyone how to play, just inform you where we're coming from. I personally have my zoom binded to my mouse wheel so it's not that big a deal to adjust the zoom in the middle of a fight.

Edited by Signal27, 26 February 2016 - 06:18 PM.

#8 Brollocks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 153 posts
  • LocationStomping Mechticles

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

I've had people tell me that too. What they don't realise is either spectate mode resets the FOV to standard or it uses your FOV settings. I also have an ultrawide screen, so zooming in plus using a 91 FOV is completely comfortable to use. Only really zoom out momentarily to check surroundings.

#9 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostMuddy Funster, on 26 February 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

I've had people tell me that too. What they don't realise is either spectate mode resets the FOV to standard or it uses your FOV settings. I also have an ultrawide screen, so zooming in plus using a 91 FOV is completely comfortable to use. Only really zoom out momentarily to check surroundings.

Exactly.

#10 Sir Roland MXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

Hmm, well, honestly I've done this a few times myself, but these are solid arguments. To be fair though, this is one behaviour that, while there might be legit reasons for it, still makes me want to slam my face on my desk repeatedly.

But, yeah, as frustrating as it may be to observe I'll make an effort to stay quiet about it in the future.

#11 Zomfear

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

I play on a 17 inch laptop....so for me it help to stay zoomed in....

Zom

#12 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:33 PM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 26 February 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

Hmm, well, honestly I've done this a few times myself, but these are solid arguments. To be fair though, this is one behaviour that, while there might be legit reasons for it, still makes me want to slam my face on my desk repeatedly.

But, yeah, as frustrating as it may be to observe I'll make an effort to stay quiet about it in the future.

Just remember: What you see is not what the person you're spectating is seeing. Custom FOV's are not reflected, nor are other display settings.

#13 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 26 February 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

Just remember: What you see is not what the person you're spectating is seeing. Custom FOV's are not reflected, nor are other display settings.

Well, yeah, that's exactly what I was referring to IE that I hadn't considered before. Pretty easy to overlook, especially given I'm one of those people in solo who's trying to coordinate the team, so my mind is otherwise occupied.

#14 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:08 PM

I run a 34" 21:9 aspect ultra wide screen. What you see as a spectator is not what I see. Even zoomed in, I'm prob still seeing more that you see normally. My mech has huge side views even without using any sliders. I've had this same BS from clowns yelling at me to zoom out when I can see just fine.

#15 Kanin Zeta

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:49 AM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 26 February 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

I'm in just the opposite situation. I've been playing on a widescreen so long I never even considered that other people may be seeing a different view when spectating. After ten years in the Infantry, I'm quite familiar with situational awareness and have developed pretty good peripheral vision :)

#16 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:54 AM

Some people get so angry when you tell them what to do while you're spectating. And then they snap when the match is over.

Posted Image

It's hilarious.

#17 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:04 AM

I've won tons of close up fights while being fully zoomed in, what pisses me off is people using advanced zoom to brawl... smh

Edited by Spr1ggan, 27 February 2016 - 03:59 AM.

#18 Melioetta Zyguard

• Pip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:24 AM

To be honest, some people don't know what they're doing and some people do.

Moral of the story: Don't use voice chat. Just use team chat, tell them once, then let them decide on their own.

#19 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

I'm sorry, but no. If its down to the wire and there is some clown on my team zoomed in unnecessarily far - I'll tell them to zoom out.

Yes, I'm looking at you Mr. Direwolf firing SPLs and MGs with advanced zoom at a target ONE HUNDRED METERS away.

#20 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

Corpses who know everything does become rather tiresome. One day, perhaps, they will be able to harvest that infinite wisdom to keep themselves from going **** up in the match. Till then I just wish they could dredge up the knowledge on how to STFU.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users