Is A Mech's Listed "mass" Its Actual Total Mass?

40 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:28 PM

Or is it only a measure of how much stuff it can hold? I ask this because if it's the former, Battlemechs are just way too big for their actual mass. An Atlas's entire internal structure, actuators, myomers, and electrical system would only weigh 5 tons with ES. That's less than the weight of an up-armored Humvee. That's kind of silly!

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

I like to think of it as payload, but I don't have the answer.

#3 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:36 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 29 February 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

Or is it only a measure of how much stuff it can hold? I ask this because if it's the former, Battlemechs are just way too big for their actual mass. An Atlas's entire internal structure, actuators, myomers, and electrical system would only weigh 5 tons with ES. That's less than the weight of an up-armored Humvee. That's kind of silly!

Like Yeonne, I'm not too sure, I'm guessing how much stuff it can hold moreover.

#4 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

The structure weight of a 'mech is most of it. In TT, gyros, sensors, cockpit all have a weight. MWO doesnt, so think of the structure as the weight you are wondering about. ES is made in a zero g environment with materials we have only dreampt about.

#5 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

You do realize that BattleTech science fiction is more fiction than science...

#6 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 29 February 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

And?

It would be 100x cooler if it were re-imagined from the ground up, incorporating knowledge from today into its fabric.

#7 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:42 PM

However it does not necessarily mean it should ignore common sense at all. So better to think of those weights as of available payload (plys-minus some wiring and etc), hurts less.

#8 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

Mass also not equal to weight. Sure the structure is massive, but not heavy.

View PostYeonne Greene, on 29 February 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

And?

It would be 100x cooler if it were re-imagined from the ground up, incorporating knowledge from today into its fabric.

If it were realistic like you propose, the locust would probably be 50+ tons, moving 20 kph on treads.

#9 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 29 February 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

If it were realistic like you propose, the locust would probably be 50+ tons, moving 20 kph on treads.

Better grounded != full-on realistic.

#10 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

And?

I've been dabbling with a document along those lines to sent to CGL, and see if they will bite... a couple of major core changes from lessons learned here in MWO, to help bring the Clans and IS to a closer standing than what they used to be in TT (and happen to be a regarded as a mistake by one of the founders of BT...)

#11 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 29 February 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

Dude, the Atlas is 16m tall vs. a Humvee at less than 5m long and an M1A1 main battle tank is less than 10m long. The Atlas is freaking huge. Then you start piling on armor, all the internals, and the magic that lets ammo stored in the feet get carried seamlessly and loaded into torso or hand mounted guns. That's all got a lot of weight to it.

Anyway, the tonnage listed is the max amount of junk you can pile onto the mech before it's leg actuators can no longer move the mech and/or the gyro can't keep it balanced and upright.

And maybe someday knockdowns will come back to MWO and maybe even damage to gyros turning your mech into a drunken fool as it stumbles around the battlefield.

#12 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:52 PM

Knock downs by blowing off legs... no targetting abilities if sensors knocked out... pilot death timer if life support is knocked out in a non hospitable zone.

While we are at it. Inferno SRM and slug LBX rounds, please.

#13 Soldier91

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

No. A mech weights 3 or 3.5 tons if you have endo steel. Otherwise the base build weight is about 5.
Inner sphere mechs of mine, 3.5 for endo. 5 standard. When I sold my wolverines one weighed in at 3 even though it was 3.5 earlier I can't explain that[notice and sold anyway for what its worth, half a ton is worth it's weight in gold to me].

Edited by Soldier91, 29 February 2016 - 03:02 PM.

#14 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

Lighter mechs have lighter structure, do they not?

#15 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 29 February 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

Mass also not equal to weight. Sure the structure is massive, but not heavy.

You're probably thinking of volume. Weight is a function of the gravitational force between an object and the planet it's on, which is in turn a function of the two objects' masses and the distance between them. For our purposes, mass is equal to weight.

#16 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

View PostXavori, on 29 February 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

Dude, the Atlas is 16m tall vs. a Humvee at less than 5m long and an M1A1 main battle tank is less than 10m long. The Atlas is freaking huge. Then you start piling on armor, all the internals, and the magic that lets ammo stored in the feet get carried seamlessly and loaded into torso or hand mounted guns. That's all got a lot of weight to it.

Anyway, the tonnage listed is the max amount of junk you can pile onto the mech before it's leg actuators can no longer move the mech and/or the gyro can't keep it balanced and upright.

And maybe someday knockdowns will come back to MWO and maybe even damage to gyros turning your mech into a drunken fool as it stumbles around the battlefield.

An M1 Abrams also weighs 60 tons. It's definitely not 60% the size of an Atlas.

I'm actually curious about the actuator/gyro thing. There's no reason the actuators and gyro should automatically fail past a mech's "max" tonnage. If so, a mech wouldn't be able to pick anything up with its hands.

#17 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:06 PM

Mm right. Been a while since I thought about it. Also so used to everyone saying weight class. Not mass class.

#18 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

And?

An atlas should weight like 350tonns in this case ...
Look a abrams weight 70 tonns and its same size than a jenner' main structure without leggs.

#19 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 29 February 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

The structure weight of a 'mech is most of it. In TT, gyros, sensors, cockpit all have a weight. MWO doesnt, so think of the structure as the weight you are wondering about. ES is made in a zero g environment with materials we have only dreampt about.

As I understand it, the gyro, cockpit, and sensors are included in the engine weight in MWO. Still, it's ludicrous that all of an Atlas's bones, joints, and myomers would only weigh 5 or 10 tons.

#20 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:10 PM

Its a size of gyro and supporting structure thing. It can pick it up, if it isnt obscenely massive. Tree/car/pilot, not bad, the pilot and gyro can compensate. But an atlas picking up a flea would over tax the system. If it had an extra heavy/large gyro, maybe.

It just throws the gyro out too far. Stick a piece of gum on a top and spin it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users