Which Clan Assaults?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Samual Kalkin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

I started in MWO before PGI sneakily removed the Beta tag from this paid-for-by-us-users very extended Beta. I have never owned or trialed a single Clanner mech. I recently came back after a year or more of not playing.

Assault mechs .are my preferred weight class.The Fat *** D-DC & King Crab (dual AC20 mostly) are my favorite Assaults. I used to have fun in the Victor a LONG time back before the various nerfs to curb poptarting cut its nuts off as a brawler. Mainly I like an assault that can pack a couple long range pokers, but is good at in your face, ef you up slug fest.

I am now looking to try a Clan Assualt mech. What might be a good clan mech to start with that would have a similar feel to one of the above? Those things are so pricey, I don't have the cash or C-Bills to trial and error tens of chassis in a random search.

Edited by Samual Kalkin, 07 April 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:25 AM

Kodiaks and Marauders are the best but all the clan assaults are serviceable. Kodiaks and Dire Wolves are the biggest and slowest so will probably feel the most similar to your IS assaults.

#3 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:41 AM

Avoid Dire Wolves and other Clan assaults like hot cancer until you gain experience with Kodiak and Marauder. These are pretty much the only Clan assaults that can be considered remotely competitive at the moment (and both are actually very good). Assault mechs are a major investment, and the last thing you want is to find yourself with a mech that you are uncomfortable with without backup options.

#4 Alreadythere

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

KDK-3, Marauder IICs, Supernovas, rest - that's how I rate the clan assaults from best to worst.

KDK-3 has incredible ballistic hardpoints. MAD IICs are fast fun weapon platforms with pretty much all hardpoint types in good combinations. Supernovas are nice energy boats.

Other Kodiaks are not that great (Spirit Bear is fast clan Atlas with less survivability and more mobility - and is expensive), Highlander IIC is a bit worse than Supernovas, Warhawks are redundant since MAD IICs, Direwolfs are too slow even if they got incredible offensive power, Executioners and Gladiators are limited by their reactor size.

Edited by Alreadythere, 07 April 2017 - 12:00 PM.

#5 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

There is a Kodiak 3 in the Trial Mech rotation right now.
You can give it a whirl and see how it feels.

I'm basically a full time Direwolf pilot, in terms of firepower, it is unequaled.
In terms of mobility, it is similar to using a stock engine unmastered King Crab, with less torso twist.
If you enjoy your Crab, you may not mind the Whale.

Good hunting.

#6 Samual Kalkin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

Well, I picked up a Marauder IIC. The one with ECM. It took a little experimenting to find a loadout I like, but now that I found one, it's one fun assault.

I guess I've finally turned traitor and joined the Dark Side.

#7 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

View PostSamual Kalkin, on 07 April 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

I am now looking to try a Clan Assualt mech. What might be a good clan mech to start with that would have a similar feel to one of the above? Those things are so pricey, I don't have the cash or C-Bills to trial and error tens of chassis in a random search.

$20 will get you 2 good Kodiaks and one Tier 1 Kodiak.

Marauder llC is also good, its Hero is good as well.

The rest of the Clan assaults are...situational.

#8 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:13 AM

I love my DWF's but am going to pick up Kodiaks once I've fleshed out my available mech list more.

MAD-IIC's, Supernovas also good.

#9 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

I'm having a lot of fun with the Highlander HGN-IIC-C and HGN-IIC-C(C). It has more armor than any of the other variants and can soak up a lot of damage which is good because I'm not a very good player.

Edited by LMP, 10 April 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#10 Lord of MEGALICHIKA

Rookie

• The Soviet
  • The Soviet
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:51 PM

I have tried KDK-3 and love it,especially with 4 UAC...Posted Image

#11 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:03 AM

View PostSamual Kalkin, on 07 April 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

I started in MWO before PGI sneakily removed the Beta tag from this paid-for-by-us-users very extended Beta. I have never owned or trialed a single Clanner mech. I recently came back after a year or more of not playing.

Assault mechs .are my preferred weight class.The Fat *** D-DC & King Crab (dual AC20 mostly) are my favorite Assaults. I used to have fun in the Victor a LONG time back before the various nerfs to curb poptarting cut its nuts off as a brawler. Mainly I like an assault that can pack a couple long range pokers, but is good at in your face, ef you up slug fest.

Actually the mechs you've mentioned made somewhat of an return if they where realy gone anyways.
Atlas profits greatly from things like UAC20, MRMs and ERMLasers.
The KGC works pretty well with 6UAC2 and the dual Gauss and 3LPL version still wrecks face...light engine helps alot.
In fact the Victor profited the most from the changes over the past 3/4 year. Now its actually a valid mech again with enough armor, speed and firepower to be a decent super heavy brawler. (not realy assault class though)

Concerning the Clan assault mech thing. There are two top chassis (MAD-IIC all variants and the new MadCat II) and a fair number of valid builds on different Clan Assault mechs.

The best bang for bugs may be the MAD-IIC-A. You can do a variety of builds on it.
The most solid may be this.
Looks uninspired but has manageable heat buildup, decent dps and good range on a sturdy easy to twist chassis.
A Variant of this would bring 2 UAC10 instead of 3 UAC5 or just plain quad LPLs in an other iteration with enough enginepower and heatsinks to fire them 2+2 for some time.

Wouldn't recommend the Kodiak anymore.
Its too squishy due to its large hitboxes and lacking armor quirks compared to other mechs and can not compensate this through its big engine anymore due to engine desync.
KDK-3 has become a real glasscannon.

Other candidates may be the new variants of older clan mechs that have been released recently.
Like the Gargoyle-E for example that does realy good with quad LPLs or Quad HLLasers in its torso.
The Executioner can do the same thing but relies heaviely on its MASC to get in and out of the thick in contrary to the Gargoyle wich has comparable maneuverability to a Timbi or better than a NightGyr.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users