BattleMechs Loadout Metagame

41 replies to this topic

#1 RU D2

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Recently, I have been building up my collection of (especially Clan) 'mechs; and with the current sale on 'mech bays I have been able to stock up and feel much less pressured on which ones I can buy and still put together a usable CW drop deck. So, that being said...

If you have experience piloting the Mist Lynx, and have been running it since the release of the skill tree; how do you feel about it?

I haven't had a chance to see what changes have been made to the built-in quirks recently, but taking all recent changes into account, how well have you been able to do with it. Maybe I'm a masochist for even thinking about running it, but I'm interested in picking at least one up so that I will have a 25T option for my CW drop deck.

Please share anything that you feel would be helpful information to someone currently thinking about buying the chassis. Thank you in advance.

#2 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

Have you checked out the soon to be released hero version? It is only slightly better now bit the new unit should rock.

#3 RU D2

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

Yeah, the two energy hardpoints on the side torso should help the chassis a lot, but I can't see spending real money on it anytime soon. Thanks for the feedback.

#4 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

I like it. SRM bombs and some poke and I've been pretty happy with it. needs fat launchers and ammo, and don't expect it to tank, but it's maneuverable and can drop enough damage in someone's face to be fun.

#5 King Kahuna

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

View PostRU D2, on 27 May 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

Yeah, the two energy hardpoints on the side torso should help the chassis a lot, but I can't see spending real money on it anytime soon. Thanks for the feedback.

Understand, i am a sucker for lights, so its on order.

#6 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

It's still got most of the same glaring deficiencies.

Arms still pop off from a stern glance, especially the arms with 2x Energy hard-points, which PGI has not buffed in any significant manner. The other arms get +24 armor, these get a piddly +6 structure.

The 'Mech is still very slow and doesn't turn or accelerate well enough for its limited speed and armor. The Commando turns much better despite also being able to field a larger engine.

The Jump Jets are too many and will quickly, and visibly, push your heat upwards when engaged.

In the context of the skill tree:

You must spec into Mobility, at least the minimum amount to get Speed Tweak, unless doing the cERPPC pop-tart thing, to get bare minimum juking capabilities.

You must spec into Operations to keep your heat down, and your damage up, for both poke and brawl options if energy weapons are involved at all.

You must spec into Sensors to get at least 60% Radar Deprivation, or you'll find your arms disappearing alarmingly quickly from incidental LRM fire.

You must spec into Firepower to get competitive output; duration/heat-gen for cERML, cool-down and heat-gen for cSPL, cool-down and missile spread and missile racks for cSRMs.

While you may want to spec Durability due to the arms, you either A.) have far more essential things that need filling out or B.) don't have enough baseline hit-points for it to make a difference.

My recommendations:

MLX-B: my first pick for MLX chassis; run it with stock pods and use 2x cSRM4 and 3x cSPL. Spec your tree for maximum heat management operations, maximum mobility (leave off extraneous torso pitch/yaw/speed), maximum missile spread reduction, maximum missile racks, maximum Jump Jet heat reduction, and 60% Radar Deprivation. For the filler Firepower nodes, bias toward Cool-down where you can.

The nerf to SRM4 and the loss of the inherent missile spread quirk hurt this one quite a bit, but it's still the bitiest of all the MLX variants and it actually gets to use its Set of 8 quirks.

MLX-PRIME: Swap the right arm for the MLX-B arm and use 3x cSRM4 with 1x cERSL or cSPL. Skill it similar to above, but do not put anything into Operations or Jump Jets; put it into Survival instead. This is the only one where I recommend doing this, because the energy weapon is honestly token...you could probably remove it entirely and be fine but I know I tend to blow through my ammo.

Plays similarly to the MLX-B, not much change from before.

MLX-C: swap pods around to get 4x Energy and strap 4x cERML to it. Skill similarly to MLX-B, but for firepower go for maximum laser duration reduction and bias for increased range and heat-gen. Leave off the Jump Jet nodes, as a poke 'Mech with long cool-off intervals you don't benefit from them that much.

This is the only MLX that I think handles better than it did before the skills. Not in terms of maneuverability, but the heat gen quirks and laser duration reduction are notable improvements; this has super squishy arms, though, so play it accordingly. More face-staring, less torso twisting.

#7 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

It has improved slightly, but it's still really hard to play. The hero is what I'm looking forward to. Right now it hardly plays any different than before.

#8 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

This is the one mech ive been playing most since patch but i run troll builds.

2 erll plus ecm and 2 lrm5 plus ml

#9 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

I don't generally like Clam tech, but I figure since the Drizzle Kitten was completely outclassed by the Cheeter it might as well be an IS mech.

ECM + erPPC = fun
I'm usually dragging around a few streaks and MG's with some erMlas for serious work. I don't recommend it, but I do love my MLX-D with the cUAC2 and an erMlas for backup - 2 tons of ammo shouldn't be so much fun!

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 May 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

In the context of the skill tree:

You must spec into Mobility, at least the minimum amount to get Speed Tweak, unless doing the cERPPC pop-tart thing, to get bare minimum juking capabilities.

You must spec into Operations to keep your heat down, and your damage up, for both poke and brawl options if energy weapons are involved at all.

You must spec into Sensors to get at least 60% Radar Deprivation, or you'll find your arms disappearing alarmingly quickly from incidental LRM fire.

You must spec into Firepower to get competitive output; duration/heat-gen for cERML, cool-down and heat-gen for cSPL, cool-down and missile spread and missile racks for cSRMs.

Doesn't sound like choices to me, considering there's a ton a deficiencies you are forced to cover up.

#11 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2017 - 06:45 PM, said:

Doesn't sound like choices to me, considering there's a ton a deficiencies you are forced to cover up.

That's my point. There is no real choice for this 'Mech. You gain a tiny bit of flexibility if you go all-in on missiles or do something troll like PPC pop-tarting, but otherwise there's just too much wrong with it.

#12 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 May 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

That's my point. There is no real choice for this 'Mech. You gain a tiny bit of flexibility if you go all-in on missiles or do something troll like PPC pop-tarting, but otherwise there's just too much wrong with it.

But, our balance overlord said there were choices! How could that be?!?!?!?!

:P

#13 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

I have -C, previously mastered and now uh, re-mastered. I've nearly always run it with 2 ER-L, which together with ECM only leaves 2 tons, for armor. That's about 60 units. I've tried the 1xER-PPC version too and preferred two ERL. Sometimes I drop all the armor to give it two more heat sinks, but mostly I have that 2 tons of armor.

About half a year ago it received 8/8 quirks making it better, ER cooldown of 20% and ER range of 10% too. The range, lack of significant armor and running rather hot of course dictates how it's played, from very far of the enemy.

Did it then have stucture quirks as well prior to skill tree, I can't rememeber, but now it does, while retaining the range and cooldown quirks.

So, I think the skill tree allows it to vent off heat faster, optimal range is I think a little bit more than previously with modules(not 100% sure), and the stucture nodes give it a lot more health. And it also has bigger sensor range and a little bit target decay for better spotting, but as ER-L shine accross the field so visibly I can't do much spotting for LRMs. Previously with modules I've sometimes had target decay, sometimes sensor range boosts, but none of them have been really important, just need advanced zoom.

Overall it's somewhat better now with skill tree, but handles and plays pretty much the same. This is for QP.

Previously it was possible to have 2 Mist Lynx 2 Dire wolf dropdecks on FP, that's maybe the biggest change Mist Lynx has seen during roughly 2 years Ive played this game. It has never been powerful or overly special in any particular way.

For FP other configs like not having ECM would be better of course, as 2xERL is too slow and 2xERM is too weak. Since it's the only 25 tonner it has it's place in various dropdecks.

#14 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

But, our balance overlord said there were choices! How could that be?!?!?!?!

Posted Image

Well you have a choice to run an un-optimised mech in a even more un-optimized way Posted Image .

But in all honesty if build in the above mentioned way, I did good work with it ( 4xErML ) in CW , it used to be a filler mech so you could pack 3 heavys but it can perform as well as you should expect from a 25t toy without inbuilt god quirks.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 27 May 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#15 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 27 May 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

Well you have a choice to run an un-optimised mech in a even more un-optimized way Posted Image .

That doesn't help the MLX... it just makes it worse (as in, you'll be punished more quickly when you don't).

View PostYeonne Greene, on 27 May 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

https://tarogato-mwo...4c-2ba165bba001

That's the best one can do to mitigate this failure. The extra 2 points can go to more laser duration or more durability.

Edited by Deathlike, 27 May 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#16 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

Well, what do we even expect from a sub 30t mech?

All mechs under that weight can perform only if quirked for a build, you can't have super speed and JJ and weapons and enough heatsinks to make it work, it is ether slow or under-gunned, and for the most part it's a filler for drop decks where unlike QP you have limitations..

I am curious, is there a clan mech under 30t that would make people happy enough that it's not I want those 5t from the ACH for a bigger heavy to I tuck a 20t~25t so now I have weight for something bigger?

After the hero thing comes the mist will gain an energy side torso so 5 spl might be a thing, still too few DHS for an effective 5 ErML build though you could do it for sporadic poke.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 27 May 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#17 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 27 May 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Well, what do we even expect from a sub 30t mech?

I believe Commandos can do more than a Mist Lynx at this current patch... and that sounds ironic.

All mechs under that weight can perform only if quirked for a build, you can't have super speed and JJ and weapons and enough heatsinks to make it work, it is ether slow or under-gunned, and for the most part it's a filler for drop decks where unlike QP you have limitations..

I am curious, is there a clan mech under 30t that would make people happy enough that it's not I want those 5t from the ACH for a bigger heavy to I tuck a 20t~25t so now I have weight for something bigger?

Firemoth.

After the hero thing comes the mist will gain an energy side torso so 5 spl might be a thing, still too few DHS for an effective 5 ErML build though you could do it for sporadic poke.

It has heat problems with the 4 SPL as it is, so you're going to have more issues as you add more lasers.

#18 Kyrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

Your skill should varie depending on your loadout,

Personally I prefer 4 meds with 3 double heat sink (strip the head armor to 1) + few here and there.

Weapon tree I got for RANGE AND HEAT REDUCTION.
Mech operation get your 10% cool down bonus.
Survival good, specially the reduce damage to fall.
Get 2 cool shoot max out.
Get your speed bonus also.

avoid jumpjet tree (It a trap!!!)

When doing your jump attack, do it side ways, never toward the enemy.
Position yourself on the flank of your group. This make it you harder to attack you, also draw fire away from main group). Flying squirrels can draw lots of attention.
try to stay at 450 metres from the enemy.

Edited by Kyrs, 27 May 2017 - 07:29 PM.

#19 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

Firemoth?

What do you expect to do with a mech with what? ~5.5 of pod space as the default builld is under-armored...

Well, if you could remove all them JJ from mist it could have more breathing room, but to what commando build are you comparing it to, an srm spamer, 3 med and srm? all the builds it can do are inferior ether in range or alpha , sure they are cooler but as a striker you shouldn't expect dps anyway.

Also as a thread about what did the ST do for it, as it had limited use before the ST in has that same limited use now, only very slightly better than it used to be, a filler for a drop deck...

Edited by Nik Reaper, 27 May 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#20 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 27 May 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

https://tarogato-mwo...4c-2ba165bba001

That's the best one can do to mitigate this failure. The extra 2 points can go to more laser duration or more durability.

Eh, not quite. It really depends on whether you are doing poke or brawl.

Here is the 4x cERML build.

Here is the MLX-B brawl build.

There is zero point to Survivability if you aren't running pods that have the +24 armor quirk. It's not worth it to dump nodes and gain +2 armor on each arm and structure doesn't count (and is also tiny). The only reason I run Durability on my 3x cSRM4 one is because each arm ends up with 44 points of armor when I'm done and I don't need the Heat Containment or Cool Run from Operations.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 27 May 2017 - 07:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users