Shooting Through Terrain?

10 replies to this topic

#1 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

It's the first time I've encountered this, someone was ER Larging me through the mountain, am I missing something?

https://imgur.com/a/OKeOy

#2 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

Maybe he just poptart and the lag made you miss the mech and not the beam... Me it's more the invisible mountain the problem...

Quite strange and you have a picture proof !!

Edited by Damnedtroll, 09 December 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#3 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:19 PM

Nothing new there.
Lot's of wrong LOD textures (either walls seem to appear or vanish at range) and onesided walls in this game.
Next time take a closer look for the rocky outcroppings on the hill in F6E6 of GrimPlexus.
Some onesided walls there at the rims of the spires.
Turmaline is the same and Alpine has lots of ridgelines appearing out of thin air that are no to be seen when you get closer.
Or an old and prominent "feature" is the onesided wall at the building behind the middle omega gen ond emerald taiga

Edited by The Basilisk, 09 December 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

PGI.

#5 AzureRathalos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:18 AM

The component for hit detection on a map is a completely different layer than the visual texture. There's thousands of polygons on a map and there's bound to be points where the visual layer doesn't match the hit layer. On top of that, resolution of map textures that are more than 1500m out are turned down to reduce loading on client machines.

If there is a wall or hill that you can shoot through, if you can point out where it is on the map and repeat the issue, PGI can eventually fix it.

Edited by AzureRathalos, 10 December 2017 - 11:22 AM.

#6 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:23 PM

there's countless terrain elements that are invisible walls, have no geometry visually but you can't shoot through

this is the first time I see the opposite, someone shooting through visible geometry

#7 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 10 December 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

there's countless terrain elements that are invisible walls, have no geometry visually but you can't shoot through

this is the first time I see the opposite, someone shooting through visible geometry

Well there is actually lots of such stuff going on...some of buildings on polar got penetrable roofs where the LRMs just fly through at steap angles when you hide behind them.

#8 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:19 PM

That one is known

#9 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Funny, there use to be quite a few more places that you could do that. Still going up into the mountain sides there are many places where the right mech can just fire without exposing much. It's a shame that PGI is focusing the bottom area of the map. Some of the sides are just too good to pass up. Just one mech with ERLL's can win a game when down to 4 to one or more if they can get into certain areas. I've done it in shadow hawks, ravens and the firebrand.

#10 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

View PostHazeclaw, on 09 December 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

It's the first time I've encountered this, someone was ER Larging me through the mountain, am I missing something?

https://imgur.com/a/OKeOy

Let me guess - the enemy was piloting a one er-ll lolcust? On his Side the wall was not there and he was wondering why you didn´t shoot back? Posted Image

#11 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

I have seen some weird stuff in this game but shooting through a solid mountain is a new one to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users