This Build Shouldn't Work, But I Kinda Did...

3 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,078 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 30 August 2020 - 04:00 AM

I'm not particularly interested with meta builds, I know those meta builds with meta mech works, I have a bit of foresight to know how to apply them during the match. While yes, sure 23 different other players would make it different, but heeey there are some trends within combat like Nascar.

I like bracket builds regardless of their effectiveness, so having all 3 weapons with the Timber-Wolf, it's something that attracted me. I used to go with 2x UAC5 + 2x SRM6 + 4x ERSL, but that rather limits my option for range of engagement, so I went with mid-range build instead.

I am not particularly attracted with homing missiles, mainly because the need of lock is a massive hassle than otherwise just pressing the button to shoot; and the prevalence of AMS are annoying, buuut I like bracket builds first.

This build perplexes me; Bracket Build Warrant - 2x ATM6 + UAC10 + 3x ERML. I am getting ok damage, 500 damage, a bit of kills too. I had my fair experience of bracket builds, I started with the Frigate King-Crab (2x AC10 + 2x ERLL + 4x LRM5s) and boy, that wasn't that effective but it was fun. But now, I find that it's a bit more effective, and I don't know why.

Maybe it's because of PSR issues with lop-sided matchmaking and my bias working on it, but I don't think this build is particularly good or meta for that matter. I feel that it's kind of not supposed to be powerful -- but it is, maybe? Maybe it's because ATMs are a lot better than LRMs?

What do you think?

#2 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:39 AM

Interesting, I think it might be the dynamics of the queue now. I had an epiphany while climbing up t3 that caused me to drop 1 of my 3 ATM 12s on my Skill Eagle in favour of medium pulse lasers. It did slightly less max damage, but felt more consistent with wins. The extra space let me up the engine too, and shooting with pulses while locking on is fine when you are fighting players who aren't paying attention to you. I switched things up because I kept finding our flanks getting broken into, and I would end up wishing I had close range backups and more speed fairly often. In T2 I've gone full tard with speed on my Vulcan, though I think I will dial it back now it has all its nodes unlocked to fit more heat sinks. I employed a similar strategy with that build - more speed, capability to fight up close and at medium range, take advantage of players with a pish level of situational awareness.

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,478 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:36 PM

My favorite is KGC-000 with 6x machine guns, 2x MRM, and some lasers for close range support.
And a maxed out Light engine + maxed out movement. Goes 60 kph, surprising some opponents!

6xMG enough to defend against would-be NASCAR lights.
Hit heavies with 2xMRM and hose down with MG + ML!

Edited by w0qj, 30 August 2020 - 12:42 PM.

#4 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:32 PM

I've ran some terrible builds that have worked okay for a few games. I don't then try and convince myself that was anything but luck with team and maps and a bit of good positioning.

Running odd builds in QP is not a recipe for consistent success. That isn't to say you must run pure meta to have fun and get anywhere, but there are some definite design cues to follow for consistency in performance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users