14 replies to this topic

#1 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

So over the week I've had this 'Mech -- I feel like I could've made a better choice since I started off wanting to play support but am better on the front lines -- and have been tweaking it since. I feel like I've reached a reasonable balance in everything, but if my team abandons me I'm quickly destroyed.

Here is the current build:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I'm thinking about removing ARTEMIS, but I'm not sure about that and didn't want to spend the 600k CB to remove it only to want it back for 1.5m CB. If anybody could offer some ideas or feedback on my build and ways to make it better, that would be awesome.

#2 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

You like pokemon? Looks like you got the "gotta collect them all" thing going on there, 1x ML, 1x LL, 1x LRM15, 1x SSRM2, 2x (?!) SRM6. I'm not an Aws expert but the 8R model seems to be the missile boat model. So either boat lrm's or srm's. I suggest going for the srm's. So give a try to something like 4x SRM6, 3x ML (I'm not sure how much tonnage you have, you could replace them with Large lasers too).

#3 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

I may be trying to do too much with this guy, and I guess I need to focus on one thing. I'll give the 3 ML and 4 SRM build a try and let you know how it goes over.

#4 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

I just checked it on the mechlab and you can do 2x LL, 1x ML, 4x SRM6 with 4ton ammo. Standard 290 engine and double heatsinks. You could increase ammo if you think thats not enough but I think 4t will be enough.

#5 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Helmstif posted a FANTASTIC brawling 8R build awhile back. Use it! - http://mwomercs.com/...r-aws-8r-build/

I used it on my 8R and it could drop Atlai toe-to-toe. By far the most successful version of the 8R I've used/seen. Of course, being a laser nut, I prefer the 9M and 8Q.

#6 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostMadPanda, on 30 December 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

I just checked it on the mechlab and you can do 2x LL, 1x ML, 4x SRM6 with 4ton ammo. Standard 290 engine and double heatsinks. You could increase ammo if you think thats not enough but I think 4t will be enough.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to do a hybrid of your build and Helmstif's build posted by Wrenchfarm just after you.

View PostWrenchfarm, on 30 December 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

Helmstif posted a FANTASTIC brawling 8R build awhile back. Use it! - http://mwomercs.com/...r-aws-8r-build/

I used it on my 8R and it could drop Atlai toe-to-toe. By far the most successful version of the 8R I've used/seen. Of course, being a laser nut, I prefer the 9M and 8Q.

Thanks for that link. Looks awesome. I look forward to giving it a go and tweaking it to perfection.

#7 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

I piloted one of these for a long time as a front line brawler,
4x SRM6's (Artemis),
2xMedLazers,
1x Tag.

Fastest engine coupled with max armor, Endo, DHS = MoNsTEr. 0_o

I ended up selling for a Stalker 3F but regretted it after a few drops :D "Miss my Awesome!" and I cant renember if it was the XL or not but I tried both to be honest...

Have fun punching people in the face ;)

P.s. my most memorable kill was shooting a healty Commandos Arms AND Legs off at the same time leaving just the head and torso together... What a way to go :D

#8 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostCapt Jester, on 30 December 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Thanks for the help. I'm going to do a hybrid of your build and Helmstif's build posted by Wrenchfarm just after you.

Thanks for that link. Looks awesome. I look forward to giving it a go and tweaking it to perfection.

My suggested build is already the perfection. I dare you to tweak it to be better.

#9 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostMadPanda, on 30 December 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

My suggested build is already the perfection. I dare you to tweak it to be better.

With Endo-Steel, I think 3 ML would be a better road. With 2 LL right now, I have a heat efficiency of 1 which would be wrecked by warmer maps like Caustic Valley. More space with ML and more tonnage for other things is what I think I will do. ;)

Update: So I'm putting things together here. I have Endo-Steel, 3 ML, 4 SRM with 5t ammo, AMS with 2t ammo, DHS, maxed armor, and a Std 240 (out of CB, 600k short) engine for now. I am at 65 tons, and when I get the Std 290 engine my tonnage will still not max out. My shortage here is on crit slots since Endo-Steel uses up so many. Any tips to use up the tonnage? Or will it not be that big of a deal?

Edited by Capt Jester, 30 December 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#10 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 30 December 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

Artemis.

#11 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

What do you guys think of this 9M build?

XL380
Endo
20 DHS
1 ML
2 MPL
1 ER PPC
2 SRM4
1 SRM6
494 armor

I don't think I can cram anything else in there without dropping heat sinks. I already gets hot in a brawl, so I'd rather not do that unless it is to add Artemis (which it probably needs). Also, got any 9M brawling tips for a noob? I try to stay on the periphery, but that doesn't last long. It seems everybody wants to have a go at coring a 9M.

#12 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostNRP, on 31 December 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

What do you guys think of this 9M build?

XL380
Endo
20 DHS
1 ML
2 MPL
1 ER PPC
2 SRM4
1 SRM6
494 armor

I don't think I can cram anything else in there without dropping heat sinks. I already gets hot in a brawl, so I'd rather not do that unless it is to add Artemis (which it probably needs). Also, got any 9M brawling tips for a noob? I try to stay on the periphery, but that doesn't last long. It seems everybody wants to have a go at coring a 9M.

Pretty sure you don't need Artemis. The 9M shoots in 2s and they have no spread. I would change the MPLs to just regular MLs and match the range of the missiles which will be accurate to its max 270 range. Use the SRMs as your main damager and you should be fine.

#13 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 31 December 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

Artemis.

I have ARTEMIS. As far as I can tell it makes 270m SRM shots hit.

And I can honestly say that this is probably one of the best brawler builds out there. If you have an 8R and want to get out of being an LRM-boat, become an SRM-boat! I've topped off at 707 damage and in that game I completely ran out of 400 SRM ammo on 4 SRM6s. If you have a semi-competent team, I cannot say enough how good this is.

Now, you're not an Atlas. If the other team gangs up on you, you will quickly die. Be smart. If your team has a couple ECM 'Mechs, stick around them if it's convenient for you. ECM doesn't work against ACs, Gauss Rifles, or PPCs, so watch out for them especially. Make use of cover, and that Std. 290 engine is definitely necessary. Whatever efficiencies you can get are also awesome.

#14 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

3ml, 4srm6+armtemis, max std engine, 19 DHS. its on par with the DDC at srm range and will dominate heavies and mediums.

#15 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 01 January 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

3ml, 4srm6+armtemis, max std engine, 19 DHS. its on par with the DDC at srm range and will dominate heavies and mediums.

I have 15 DHS on, AMS with 2t ammo, and 4t SRM ammo. How much SRM ammo do you have on, do you have Endo-Steel, and do you have AMS are my three questions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users