#1 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

UPDATE: I've included this build in my Awesome guide. In case you're interested in going elite.

=====================================================================================

I have no idea why I haven't encountered a build like this in actual combat. The 8R's 4x missile hardpoints have "OP" written all over them. This build is so effective in close range combat that I have created many nicknames for it: Atlas Buster, a-wall-that-smacks-against-you, but eventually I think it deserves to be called the ultimate brawler. And yeah, I call it Atlas buster because this build is probably the only build that allows you to stand up against an Atlas face to face, and win. I've dueled 10+ Atlas ever since I came up with this build. I won every time.

And of course, for anything smaller than an Atlas...I've never seen a medium surviving against me - if alone - for more than 30 seconds. The lights are kinda hard to hit, but sometimes there're some dumb flies that prefers to run straight toward you...and with this build you should be able to crush him with a single Alpha.

I'll make the ingredient list short. A new week is coming and I gotta sleep....

You'll need:

An AWS-8R

DHS

Endo-Steel

Artemis <======= [VERY IMPORTANT]

The largest STD engine (is it 295?)

2x LLas

4x SRM6

6 tons of SRM ammo (in legs and left arm. or you can take off 2 tons and spice it up with an MPL in the head, although the heat level would be not optimal.)

And of course, sprinkle with an AMS and a ton of AMS ammo, and stuff your baby with as many DHS as you can. You should come out with almost full armor with only a few points stripped from leg.

So, when you alpha strike with this baby, you'll send out a solid shockwave of 78 damage, and based on my experience you should be able to alpha twice before overheating. VERY scary at point-blank range. Then you can start firing those SRMs in a more controlled manner, or simply let your heavy armor tank the fire until you're cool enough to return fire.

And of course, you can use those two LL to tickle an enemy from afar, and give him a crushing hug when he comes up close.

If you're someone who prefers brawling - and as we all know, brawling is the way of man and LRM is for b*tches who can't aim - this build you will definitely love. Yes, I know that there's a certain Atlas that could carry 2xLL, 3xASRM6 and an AC20, but with that build that benefits you with merely 5 extra damage, comes the sacrifice of 10 km/h of speed, massive hit profile and the public hatred toward Atlas. And yes, I know there's a certain Catapult that can possibly carry 6xASRM6, but the sacrifice of mobility is simply not worth it, not mentioning the total lack of long-range combat capability. Also, that Cat has a much better purpose.

Yeah I mean the Streakpult.

So, I think this AWS-8R build deserves the title of The Ultimate Brawler.

(or at least until the Stalker comes out?)

Edited by Helmstif, 13 January 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#2 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 02 December 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

and as we all know, brawling is the way of man

Me am offensive and me find this hamster.

Edited by MagicHamsta, 03 December 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#3 197mmCannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Go-cho
  • Go-cho
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

Almost makes me want to buy an Awesome to try it out.

Almost...

#4 dtgamemaster

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationThe BattleField

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

Hmm..not sure what kind of Atlases you were brawling with, but if both sides were at 100%, and the Atlas Pilot is competent and configured his mech for brawling, you would not even stand a chance..period.

It boils down to this. Your exposed cockpit and huge centre torso profile. The atlas has a stronger "pinpoint fire" with his extra lasers/ballistics (don't include the K chassis) to hit your weak spot, thicker armor & better heat dissipation capacity to boot for sustained dps.

#5 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

View Postdtgamemaster, on 03 December 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

Hmm..not sure what kind of Atlases you were brawling with, but if both sides were at 100%, and the Atlas Pilot is competent and configured his mech for brawling, you would not even stand a chance..period.

It boils down to this. Your exposed cockpit and huge centre torso profile. The atlas has a stronger "pinpoint fire" with his extra lasers/ballistics (don't include the K chassis) to hit your weak spot, thicker armor & better heat dissipation capacity to boot for sustained dps.

I know right? Makes me think that all Atlas pilots out there sucks :)

But seriously, most people use Atlas as LRMboat, not mentioning that AC20 is not exactly ideal comparing to ASRM. But even with that usually I gets burned down to structure while dueling Atlas. Also Awesome's massive shield arms are quite helpful.

#6 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Never seen a good awesome pilot. Very easy to core them with that frying pan chest of theirs. And your build requires extreme close range. Because of that you need to rely on your teammates to take the heat before you get in close, so not a PUG friendly build. Also your propaganda against atlases is stupid and all lies. I will go wreck every awesome and think it's your face. Good day to you sir.

#7 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 03 December 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Never seen a good awesome pilot. Very easy to core them with that frying pan chest of theirs. And your build requires extreme close range. Because of that you need to rely on your teammates to take the heat before you get in close, so not a PUG friendly build. Also your propaganda against atlases is stupid and all lies. I will go wreck every awesome and think it's your face. Good day to you sir.

your hatred toward my propaganda has nothing to do with the fact that no Atlas has survived me face to face. I hope I would have to chance to duel you one day.

#8 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Those +3 SRM 6s man are a whole different level of pain. You can pull it off on the stock Centurion too and nobody expects it.

#9 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

I remember running into a speedy version of this thing back in CB. I believe it was a squad of goons in them and holy hell did it hurt. Still it's got it's downsides too, like being mostly geared for short and medium range.

Also people who complain about LRMs need to learn to adapt or just keep a ton and a half free just in case.

View PostHelmstif, on 02 December 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

I have no idea why I haven't encountered a build like this in actual combat. The 8R's 4x missile hardpoints have "OP" written all over them. This build is so effective in close range combat that I have created many nicknames for it: Atlas Buster, a-wall-that-smacks-against-you, but eventually I think it deserves to be called the ultimate brawler. And yeah, I call it Atlas buster because this build is probably the only build that allows you to stand up against an Atlas face to face, and win. I've dueled 10+ Atlas ever since I came up with this build. I won every time.

And of course, for anything smaller than an Atlas...I've never seen a medium surviving against me - if alone - for more than 30 seconds. The lights are kinda hard to hit, but sometimes there're some dumb flies that prefers to run straight toward you...and with this build you should be able to crush him with a single Alpha.

I'll make the ingredient list short. A new week is coming and I gotta sleep....

You'll need:

An AWS-8R

DHS

Endo-Steel

Artemis <======= [VERY IMPORTANT]

The largest STD engine (is it 295?)

2x LLas

4x SRM6

6 tons of SRM ammo (in legs and left arm. or you can take off 2 tons and spice it up with an MPL in the head, although the heat level would be not optimal.)

And of course, sprinkle with an AMS and a ton of AMS ammo, and stuff your baby with as many DHS as you can. You should come out with almost full armor with only a few points stripped from leg.

So, when you alpha strike with this baby, you'll send out a solid shockwave of 78 damage, and based on my experience you should be able to alpha twice before overheating. VERY scary at point-blank range. Then you can start firing those SRMs in a more controlled manner, or simply let your heavy armor tank the fire until you're cool enough to return fire.

And of course, you can use those two LL to tickle an enemy from afar, and give him a crushing hug when he comes up close.

If you're someone who prefers brawling - and as we all know, brawling is the way of man and LRM is for b*tches who can't aim - this build you will definitely love. Yes, I know that there's a certain Atlas that could carry 2xLL, 3xASRM6 and an AC20, but with that build that benefits you with merely 5 extra damage, comes the sacrifice of 10 km/h of speed, massive hit profile and the public hatred toward Atlas. And yes, I know there's a certain Catapult that can possibly carry 6xASRM6, but the sacrifice of mobility is simply not worth it, not mentioning the total lack of long-range combat capability. Also, that Cat has a much better purpose.

Yeah I mean the Streakpult.

So, I think this AWS-8R build deserves the title of The Ultimate Brawler.

(or at least until the Stalker comes out?)

The Stalker is not a brawler, mate. I have no idea where you got that from. Also check your math. The Atlas with the 2LL, 3 ASRM6, and the AC 20 wins out by 8 damage aka over half a gauss rifle strike and 20 of that damage is completely localized. Not too mention it has more armor. And soon ECM. Have fun with that.

#10 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

View PostZervziel, on 03 December 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

The Stalker is not a brawler, mate. I have no idea where you got that from. Also check your math. The Atlas with the 2LL, 3 ASRM6, and the AC 20 wins out by 8 damage aka over half a gauss rifle strike and 20 of that damage is completely localized. Not too mention it has more armor. And soon ECM. Have fun with that.

The stock Stalker is not a brawler, but doesn't mean you can't turn it into one. A STK-5M has 5x missile hardpoints. Go figure.

For the math part, I'd recommend you to check yours. I think I've pointed out the main disadvantage for an Atlas brawler is the speed, not damage. Speed is vital when comes to cover-diving against LRM. Oh and stop talking to me with that order-evil attitude about LRM.

And what's the point referencing a "half a gauss" damage? We all know that the gauss is OP not because the sheer damage output, but because of the fast ballistic speed and the ability to deal damage immediately on one spot.

Edited by Helmstif, 04 December 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#11 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

Going to be giving this build a try later this week after I figure out my 8Q (want to see if there is any practical way to boat 6 LLAS, because LASERS). Very excited at the prospect of killing things with a cloud of rockets!

#12 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 05 December 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

Going to be giving this build a try later this week after I figure out my 8Q (want to see if there is any practical way to boat 6 LLAS, because LASERS). Very excited at the prospect of killing things with a cloud of rockets!

Speaking of 8Q, try this: 4xLL and 3xML. And the largest STD engine. DHS is a must, not necessarily Endo though.

#13 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

This is fun build and I still play it at least a match a night. One big tip: play very conservative. The mech is slow and fat.

#14 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Helmstif,
If you can, please post a video of you brawling this mech. Since I'm considering getting one to complete the AWS elite perks, I'd love to see it in action.

#15 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostNRP, on 04 January 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

Helmstif,
If you can, please post a video of you brawling this mech. Since I'm considering getting one to complete the AWS elite perks, I'd love to see it in action.

I'll keep that in mind.

#16 Chillicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 740 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

I think it's ok, but I can recommend the A1-Pult 4ASRM6, 2ASRM4, 300XL an lots of Ammo! More Punch - more Ammo, with Speedtwink about 82km/h... Get ready 2 rumbllleeeee^^

#17 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Used to run this type of awesome as lrm boat, 4x LRM15 + tag, all missiles fire at the same time so you get a nice 60 missile volley going their way.

The stalker is a better boat though, missiles are split in a few volleys but the 5 tons and the smaller profile help.

the 4x srm6 might be a good brawling build for this awesome but you wont win agianst an equally skilled DDC, his ecm will ruin your artemis and he'll have equal or more firepower and much more armor.

#18 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 05 January 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

the 4x srm6 might be a good brawling build for this awesome but you wont win agianst an equally skilled DDC, his ecm will ruin your artemis and he'll have equal or more firepower and much more armor.

Hum. I don't believe ECM has any effect on SRMs Artemis. There is no actual tracking or lock going on, it just tightens the dumbfire spread of the rockets.

#19 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Alright, here is my 8R "Brawler" build:

STD290
16 DHS (HE = 1.16)
2 LL in RA
4 SRM6+Artemis
Endo
494 Armor (weighs in at 78)

Here is a potential issue though. Although I'm light on tonnage, I only have enough slots for 3 tons of SRM ammo, which I don't think will be enough. Perhaps Endo was the wrong choice? How did you guys deal with this?

#20 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Yeah - endo + DHS uses up a lot of space. I usually pick one or there other for Assault mechs. It's certainly annoying not to be able to load up to max weight because there is not enough space left.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users