On The Role Of The Assault Mech

24 replies to this topic

#1 Brenticus

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Some thoughts and opinions on the role of Assault mechs:

First thing’s first: I tried Chicken and Waffles flavored Lays potato chips today. They were not very good, but not nasty. Still, they were not good. I would describe their quality as un-good.
Second, I’m sorry this thing is so long.

Next, I just wanted to write some thoughts I have on the Assault mech and its role, based on my own experiences piloting an Atlas, maybe start a dialogue (or just a series of comments explaining what a genius I am. Know what? I like that. Let’s do that one.).

I would like to list some of the pros and cons of the Assault class mech and the strategic/tactical implications of those aspects. Let’s start with the (very well-known) cons.

1.Con: Assault mechs are slow.
Strategic Implication: Assaults must be deployed in a very deliberate manner
We can’t rush in to help you very quickly, and we can’t escape a fight to save our lives. Need help at lower city? Too bad, I’m 5 mins away, and you’ll all be dead by the time I get there.
Teammates all pulled back because we’re in a tough spot and reinforcements just showed up? Too bad, I’m stuck here. There is not much middle ground for an Assault mech.

This is the biggest problem with the assault class. We are the opposite of versatile. Assault mechs are a very deliberate class. Wherever you put it (more or less), it’s stuck there- for a time anyway. Relocation takes a lot of time- time your teammates not have. This may or may not be as big of an issue depending on the weaponry of the Assault mech in question, as they may or may not be able to support from a distance, but either way if it’s a long distance, your Assault mech is (probably) not going to be fully utilized.

2.Con: Assault mechs are huge
Tactical implication: I need big objects for cover, and people have a hard time missing me.
Some would argue that this isn’t necessarily a con, and its size can be used as a tactical advantage, but lets face it: a huge target is easy to hit. This isn’t real war. The psychological advantage of a huge hulking monster coming toward you is going to be gone after the first couple encounters with an Atlas/Awesome/Stalker. There’s no real risk in a video game, aside from score, so there’s very little intimidation factor. So what we’re left with is a big easy to hit target that requires a very large object indeed to take full cover behind.
Assaults have a lot of guns, and everyone can see the big death machine coming. The big, SLOW death machine. You want it dead- as quickly as possible. So you’re a magnet for all sorts of punishment (especially if seen at the same time as the other mechs. Though people also love to kill light mechs).
Heck, a lot of light mechs are so much shorter than my Atlas that I can barely see (let alone hit) them when they’re right next to me. There are ways around this, but they’re only workarounds. It’s still a pretty big con, aside from letting you carry lots of weapons.

3.Con: Assault mechs are not very maneuverable
Tactical/Strategic Implication: Assaults usually need supportThere are Hoverounds that are more maneuverable than my Atlas- and they’re probably faster too! Everyone has seen the light mechs dance around the big, clumsy Assault mech, tearing at its back armor till it meets its ignominious end. It’s an easy fate to meet when you’re a lone Assault mech.
Now, there are things you can do to beat a light mech one on one, but if there are two, you’re toast. Not to mention, most Assault mech pilots just don’t have the patience (or experience- one or the other) to slowly dance back and forth, left and right, until they finally score that kill.
The only good answer is support: An Assault needs support from the lighter mechs its supporting just as much as they need the heavy punch of the Assault’s weapons (most of the time. Sometimes we can just wreck 3 mechs in a row. But that’s not common). Proper support for an assault mech stops lighter mechs from maneuvering around the firing arc of the Assault’s weapons.

4.Pro: Weapons. Assaults have ALL the weapons.
Tactical/Strategic Implications: Assaults should (usually) be deployed at places you HAVE to take or hold.
Let’s face it: Assaults have only TWO strengths: Weapons and Armor. But oh boy do we have these in spades. We can carry a vast array of weapons, heavy and light, and we can hit you from just about any distance- and it will hurt. We can fire at a distant lock with an LRM20, then turn right around and punch that Hunchie in the shoulder with our AC/20 and lasers, and maybe knock out his main weapon(s) just that quick.
I love my Dragon, and I do fine in it- 300 DMG or so per match. Sometimes 500 when I use it a lot, but I can never hit with it like I can my Atlas. The Atlas, for all its faults (and most Assaults I’m guessing) is a VERY STABLE weapons platform. Even while getting pegged with other heavy weapons, I’m usually able to keep my cool and use hit right back very accurately. More so than I can with any other chassis. Its possible that that is only because it fits me better- I don’t know. All I know is I can hit with it, and hit better than with my other classes.
The damage is incredible, and I am able to hit hard at any distance. Furthermore, I can accommodate the heat sinks necessary to KEEP firing all of these weapons. In the end, Assault class mechs punch harder than other classes, and at more varied ranges. And it can survive to keep doing it, which brings me to….

5.Pro: Armor. Assaults have ALL the armor
Tactical/Strategic Implications: We take bullets so you don’t have to! Also, we can hold a position longer and more effectively than other classes. We add longevity to any attack or defense effort.
Assaults are not invincible, we all know it. They go down just like everybody else- often to the smallest mechs on the battlefield. But Assaults have a LOT of armor and, if used properly, can add staying power to any offensive or defensive endeavors.
I look at armor as a timer. You’re GOING to get hit. But how long will that armor last until you’re a goner? Is it long enough to take out that mech? By adding an Assault to your unit, you’re adding time for either it or other mechs to inflict damage. As previously stated, a lot of pilots, when they spot an Atlas advancing, just want it DOWN- as quickly as possible. That takes a little while with an Assault mech. While the enemy mechs are A) concentrating their firepower on the Assault mech or B ) Firing in a general melee, the Assault give the group the advantage of A) Slowly dying while his teammates rack up the kills, or B ) Destroy one mech, and quickly move onto the next, hopefully downing more than one enemy mech.

Either way, the Assault buys time for your team. This is especially useful when you need to hold a capture point and you just need a few folks to burn their armor until you get a win.

Summary: The Role of the Assault Mech
To sum it all up, the Assault mech can be the deciding factor in most engagements, if used properly. The key, IMHO, is proper support and deliberate deployment. The Assault mech is spearhead of your primary attack, the point man that drives through the enemy at the place it is most needed. It is the anchor of the defensive line, buying time for the team to cap an objective or even withdraw if you need to sacrifice someone. The assault can support from most distances, but is best utilized in a manner that can make the best use of its armor for the team.
Whatever role one uses an Assault mech in, it must be deliberate. Bouncing from cover to cover is well, and is an excellent strategy, but an Assault is not much good for expeditionary efforts- unless you know with some degree of certainty, that this will be the primary location of your offensive/defensive. It must be deployed in a manner that it will have support. I don’t know how many times I’ve followed my team (mostly in ungrouped matches) to a certain location, put up a good fight, only to have my teammates abandon me as soon as more enemy mechs appear. That leaves a lone atlas in an exposed position, upon which lights pounce and (if they don’t kill me) and buy time for the med-heavies to show up and finish me off. The key again, is a deliberate intent when deploying an Assault mech. One must keep in mind where the anchor of the attack/defense should be when deploying the Atlas. We are too slow to get in OR out with any speed. We can be used in flanking actions, to be sure, and there are 1000 other uses outside the standard uses/roles of the Assault class, but these, IMO, are the primary roles of the Assault class.

Any thoughts? These are just my thoughts from my expeirence so far...

Edited by Brenticus, 21 February 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

A pretty decent rundown; I do think you're underestimating the psychological intimidation factor of the Atlas (or Stalker, for that matter.) Sure, you know you're not going to really die, but you still know he's going to smoke you fast if you try to stand and fight with him - unless you're another Assault. The game teaches you to fear Atlases in the same way it teaches you to use cover. Certainly, no sane person is going to experience the total, sweat-drenching terror that you'd feel if you really ran into a 100-ton death machine in a deserted street in your Cicada, but the intimidation factor is still there.

Additionally, I'd stress that an Assault really should use what cover and concealment is available, because although I have a LOT of firepower in my Atlas, focused fires from the enemy team can down me fast. Particularly with the long-needed buffs to heavy beam weaponry, there are a lot of times where you really don't want to go out there, Atlas though you are. You may need to flank, or just hold back and wait for the right moment go wade into the sniper war and make the little hidey 'mechs scurry for cover. Tactics is a lot about timing, and that part of it is more art than science - but you've given a pretty good explanation of Assault 'mechs. Excellent food for thought.

#3 Brenticus

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

I think you're probably right on underestimating the psychological value of Assaults- especially the Atlas. I know I've flanked a few groups to much ensuing chaos "where'd that Atlas come from??". It's a very nice tactic to use indeed. I also agree 100% with the cover/concealment factor. The slow speed of the Assaults makes any cover that much more vital. I am probably underselling some of the other applications for Assaults, things I myself do (such as finding a nice perch and making the other mechs keep their heads down). Thanks for adding your thoughts to my little collection of thoughts on my favorite mech class!

#4 Darkhammer

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDo not look, I am behind you.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Then there is the Atlas D-DC with an ECM. You would not think that a 100 ton Mech could sneak up on you but they can and when it appears near you and you did not know it was coming, well you know the hurt is on the way is you do not find that cover fast.

Now that I drive that D-DC with the ECM and i know I sometimes do get the drop on the enemy mechs even at my SLOW 48 KPH.
Before the ECM's I would keep SSRM to keep the lights away, That used to work so well......

#5 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

I play a Spider primarily, although on any of my mechs I've learned to travel at ~50 kph and keep that atlas in front of me until the fighting begins. It helps both of us survive better.

With the exception of lights running off by themselves to properly scout or harass nodes, the overall brawl works best with your group moving and working together. Yes, that assault should be the first one out, but his friends should be close behind to pump damage into his target.

#6 KillerLeo

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Totally agree with OP, and it sad to see how most ppl doesnt know how to support assault mechs. How many times have I charged into an enemy position receiving and dishing punishment on my way, hoping my teammates which i could swear were behind me would take advantage and pop in and kill them while i draw their fire...but..nope they are all (or most of them) hidden behind cover while i get murdered, and then enemies advance and mop them up or they run away and get picked one by one. I agree with those roles, but dont underestimate the power of flanking or reinforcements in the shape of a hulking Atlas. It requires more planning and timing but it can be done to devastating effect. I remember once i stayed in frozen city to defend the base against tunnel rushers with a buddy. He got destroyed i survived but we stopped 2 meds and 1 hvy from getting thru at he back door. I decided it would be faster for me to cut thru the tunnel to the frontline while getting desperate chatter asking for help...5 enemies were ****** my other 6 teammates at frotnline, i responded saying i would be flanking them get to cover and hold as long a u can. They held the line long enough they were down to 2 enemies were 3, and then they see a mostly undamaged atlas hulking at their flank...well we made short work of them. Also the psychological factor plays a role there, yep i could see they got nervous: firing and missing a lot, overheating...and they couldnt be noobs they were winning 5 vs 6, they tried to spit, in the end they went from a almost sure win to a "we are screwed" state.

Also a little off topic, i wanted to mention the importance of communication. It goes a looong way and really even the smallest detail reported can win a match. In the situation i was describing before, yeah without saying anything i could tell they needed help and they using the map could know i was going thru the tunnel, but they cant be sure wtf im doing...if i wouldnt told them i was coming from the flank maybe they just would have tried to fight head on, not buy time for me. Its sad how 80% pugs go without any kind of team communication....at least to say what the hell are u planning to do or go...

#7 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Communication and cooperation are always key - I'm looking forward for when they enable voice chat. And anticipating with contempt the stupid people who will turn the chat off because communicating with other people annoys them - especially while playing a team game.

#8 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

I don't know, Void Angel. Looking at the comments on the MWO Facebook page, I dread voice chat in-game. Still, communication isn't that hard in-game. If you are part of the group of blue arrows, you're doing good. Someone with low damage output should call targets (since he's not giving up much), or better yet just everyone nuke the target that is tagged. When someone dies, that person can spectate someone and call targets. I've done this in several pugs and it's worked great.

I think it works better because I'm the only one calling targets. I can just imagine in voice chat "kill Bravo" "no alpha" "i'm on charlie, let's kill that" "what's alpha mean?" "alpha means A" "oh...so who we killing?" "nevermind I died".

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Oh, some people are stupid no matter what they're doing - but they're gonna be distracted by doing other things most likely. The bottom line is that voice communication is simply a tactical godsend. It's the best tool you will ever have short of cybernetic telepathy to coordinate between players. Some people in Counterstrike would deliberately turn it off, giving snide and/or self-important reasons like, "I don't want to listen to stupid people talk," or "people annoy me." This is a Stupid Thing to Do.

#10 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

I thought the role of the Assault Mech was to get abandoned by its' teammates and die a slow, agonizing, meaningless death because apparently so many people think an Atlas is truly invulnerable and can solo the entire enemy team...

Well, that's just been my experience, anyway. I do mostly enjoy the few Atlai that I have in my Mech bays (except for the speed...I prefer being fast!), but my brawling D-DC slowly went from my favorite Atlas variant to something I only whip out occasionally when I'm in the mood to get into people's faces. So many times have I tried to lead the charge in my D-DC only to be left by myself surrounded by enemies because my team decided it was better to hide than to follow me. This is why my favorite Atlas is now my RS, because I have it equipped for long range and I feel that I don't need as much team support to be effective. Maybe this is one reason why I shouldn't pug 100% of the time :D

#11 4b4dd0n

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

I dont fear any assault unless they can shoot at me while im brawling with some med/heavy. I sold my ddc 2 times, i tried it again after the release of the ecm but this mech isnt really good. I prefer my ilya over any assault. The biggest problem of the atlas is that the main firepower is carried in the side torsos.
My ilya carries 2 gauss so i need 3 hits and one of the side torso is gone. And it inst really hard to aim at this section. I hope they will buff the atlas in the future. Maybe 5 more armor points for the side torsos or such things. But after taking out the 3 srm6 or ac20 the atlas is a victim. Same goes to the awesome it has even fewer armor points and you can take it out faster.
Only the stalker hold the ground for the assault class thanks to the many critpoints.
I bought the founders pack and toke the atlas. In the last month after the release of the open beta i didnt play it. I could sell it and i wont miss it, if i would buy the pack again i would choose the hunchi or cat instead of the atlas.
The ilya is a much more fun to play mech and on the top of this its more deadly. A normal game ends up 500-600damage, bad games ~300damage and good games +800damage. I only managed the same results with my lrm stalker but this isnt really hard to achieve. But never with the atlas. For a 100t death machine the atlas is a bad joke. And the next assault didnt bring any new stuff to the table.
I hope they release an assault wich can take 2 ac20 or gauss in the future. In my opinion its the only advantage of the assault class to carry 2 or more big ballistic weapons supported by laser/rockets which you cant carry on the other weight classes.
The other classes have to many advantages in speed, maneuverability and bring similiar firepower or can get ecm.
And with the big maps coming in the future the assaults will lose even more ground. You can see this on alpine in conquest mod today.

#12 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

The Awesome 9M and the Pretty Baby are probably exceptions to the rule due to their ability to travel at around 80-90kph with full bonuses and maximum engines. Even with large engines they can pack a couple of Large Lasers and some SRM6s or a host of SSRMs or backup Medium Lasers and enough DHS to fire them all.

It's always nice when the initial race to a node has the enemy team showing up with a light mech followed by a medium and your team showing up with a light mech followed by an assault.

I do think that if they make maps larger than Alpine they should take into consideration the travel time of a 48kph mech if it can even reach the opposite base in the 15 minutes they are given in the match. I always drive my Atlas at 64kph now so it's not so bad for me. :(

#13 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

I tend to push very often with my assaults (particulary because they use close to med-range weapons usually.) I noticed this can often be a better way to neutralize LRMs thent rying to stay in cover. But it's no use going alone, something I know at least in theory, but often forget in practice. :(

I get the impression that one of the greatest dangers is not to assault at some point, and hoping to head back. In a "sniper/lrm cover" game, Assaults often end on the losing side. Usually the firepower advantage is not that great at longer range, and if enemies focus on you or just switch around, so damaged enemies deal with someone else on your team, and you don't get any kills, but the enemy deals damage, you end up losing. You really need to get all the advantages - firepower and armour - into use.

The past week-end I've had quite a few fights where getting close neutered enemy LRM fire, while standing back would have lead to more missiles hitting the team, with no advantage to our team. IT works of course best if the enemy LRM is not defended, but even if it is - if the team works together, you will likely still lower the threat of the LRM guys. If you bring the fight to the enemy, your long range support can stay back and keep firing, while their long range support has to react to you. (Or at least they often will react to you, even if they may be better off ignoring you and just keep lobbing missiles. I've seen plenty of Catapults that panically try to get away and don't try to at least keep firing at other enemies outside their minimum range).

#14 GhostFacedNinja

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

4b4dd0n - That maybe the case for you. It isn't the case for me. I love my Ilya, its a great mech. I achieve similar results to yours, but those results are nothing special really. My Atlas can easily do the same if not more. So really, you find the Ilya more fun and more deadly. That doesn't make it the same for everyone.

On topic - I think the best tip I can give about assaults is this: Positioning is key. You cannot afford to go on tangents. You need support from your team, don't make it difficult for them to provide this.

#15 4b4dd0n

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Dont understand me wrong. I love the assault class but in this game they arent really good. The stalker is fun to play but the atlas for me isnt. I state above the side torsos a the biggest problem of the atlas. Take out one and it has only the firepower of a medium mech.
And i bet without the ecm for ddc we wouldnt see many of them. And sry but i didnt see any atlas in the last days which did the same damage like my ilya^^

#16 GhostFacedNinja

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm sorry but in my experience that is not the case. Don't get me wrong I love my Ilya, been rocking it all weekend long due to the hero bonus. But the Atlas is still a good mech and can easily compete with it.
To take out one side torso on an Atlas you need to do enough damage to core a phract. Add the fact a lot of Ilya pilots use XL engines and it becomes even easier to kill them.

#17 gjnii

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I think another important point about assaults is about group composition. At the start of the match when the UI is loading LOOK AT YOUR TEAMS SIZE BREAKDOWN. If you're the only assault on your team you're probably packing the most single guns on one mech. If there's only 1 med and 1 light on your team, you don't need to worry about getting wolfpacked by ravens from the other side.

Also because you're not exactly fast, you've got LOTS of time to communicate and coordinate.. and people are WAY more likely to follow you then some erratically weaving commando pilot.

You're also an apex predator in a sense. Yes heavies are dangerous, yes mediums can put a lot of punch somewhere on little notice. But from a PPC/LRM stalker to an 4ml,AC20,SRM6x2 atlas... you don't just fill a role you dominate it. Or you can split it down the line and have the LRMs of a trebuchet and the ballistics of a centurion. But ask yourself, AFTER you look at your team list and the map, "how am I going to fill the role I've chosen?" Then, tell the team what you're thinking. It helps a lot.

#18 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Not true any more, man. Unfortunately the new matchmaker is arranging teams that are very often mismatched as to weight classes. Hopefully that will be changed soon, since weight class is so much of a core dynamic - especially for PUG matches.

View Postdarkkterror, on 23 February 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

I thought the role of the Assault Mech was to get abandoned by its' teammates and die a slow, agonizing, meaningless death because apparently so many people think an Atlas is truly invulnerable and can solo the entire enemy team...

Well, that's just been my experience, anyway. I do mostly enjoy the few Atlai that I have in my Mech bays (except for the speed...I prefer being fast!), but my brawling D-DC slowly went from my favorite Atlas variant to something I only whip out occasionally when I'm in the mood to get into people's faces. So many times have I tried to lead the charge in my D-DC only to be left by myself surrounded by enemies because my team decided it was better to hide than to follow me. This is why my favorite Atlas is now my RS, because I have it equipped for long range and I feel that I don't need as much team support to be effective. Maybe this is one reason why I shouldn't pug 100% of the time ;)

Well, like Ridcully says, it's a judgment call as to when to engage. I've had to kind of sit back and pull rear security sometimes (usually behind Coward's Ridge in Frozen City) because the team was $N1P@RZ1NG, and trying to engage would just get me slapped around. But while I'm using an LRM build right now, I do enjoy my brawling D-DC build as well. 12 SRMS, 2 UAC/5s and two Large Lasers hurt a lot at short to medium range, and the UACs can even poke at long ranges if your target is dumb enough to stand still for it.

Still, I feel your pain, which is why I wrote the two threads in my signature! =)

#19 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

"On the Role of the Assault Mech:"

'Nuff said.

Edited by Sephlock, 24 February 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#20 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:19 AM

In a fight between 2 Hunchbacks (100 tonnes) and an Atlas, I bet my money on the Hunchbacks.
In a battle between 2 Ravens and a Spider (100 tonnes) versus an Atlas, odds are against the Atlas.
4 Commandos vs an Atlas? He does not stand a chance.

Because tonne for tonne, Assault mechs are very inefficient. If a team takes 8 D-DCs and decides to assault enemy base, there is little the defenders can do to stop them. So you just might want to out-cap them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users