21 replies to this topic

#1 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:02 AM

http://www.uobgaming.com/forum.php
Status: 11/6 In Development. We've got the latest version of vBulletin and are overhauling the website.

What we are offering:
  • A free site where those units who don't have the need or desire or funds to set up their own website and forums to go
  • The option of your own custom page, that you design, with unit information, links to apply, roster, etc. (example: http://www.uobgaming.com/3rddrakons/)
  • A tailor-able skin for you and your unit. You can set this as a default for visitors in your section of the forums so others can see your Corp colors and logo.
  • vBulletin forums with all the goodies
  • Your own moderators for your unit section.
  • Private forums that other units can't see to discuss tactics, politics, whatever you want
  • A hub for units to communicate
  • For those units who HAVE a site already, we'll to link to you
We'd like to get as many of the units together as are interested, to help foster a sense of community, and a place to organize cometitions and battles. We had initially considered this as a hub for FRR units however offering this as a hub for anyone interested and consolidating as many groups as possible in one location, each with their own section, may help with the community and competition (hence the need for privacy in the unit/faction forums).

Development is still in its very early stages, so don't judge what you see so far too harshly, there is plenty of time for change and improvement! The sooner you get in, the more input you can have. :)

We are also in the process of setting up a unit, the 3rd Drakøns Regiment. Just to make sure everyone is aware and there is no confusion, enrollment in that unit is NOT a requirement for usage of the site and forums. It will be a separate entity.

Please feel free to contact me here or at dihmwhit@gmail.com for questions, comments, suggestions.

~S~
Dihm

Edited by Dihm, 06 November 2011 - 06:10 AM.

#2 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Sections have been added, moved about, and filled in with a bit of info.

Anyone have thoughts on offering this to any and all merc units, not just the FRR?

Oh, and I will have limited admin privileges, since I'm running a unit of my own (3rd Drakøns, check us out and get in at the ground floor! :)), in case that was a concern. I won't be able to see other units private forums.

Edited by Dihm, 06 November 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#3 ScrewCityChris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:27 PM

Well, you know I want you to have this moved to all merc section :)

I have created custom application forms as well, and each corp would be able to have their own unique application (or none if they are an open corp).

I will also be willing to train any potential Merc.Corp leaders how to use the vBulletin tools they would need to use, and will assist (as my time permits) with simple skins and logos to help create your own area. Basically, I do a lot of grunt work, and you get to have fun :D

Edited by ScrewCityChris, 06 November 2011 - 11:27 PM.

#4 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

I was hoping to get more community feedback before going and inviting any and all merc units. :)

Unfortunately we don't really have any (besides my own and Smoke Jaguar) units committed to FRR yet, so that isn't working out so great.

Update: We've done a whole lot of tweaking trying to get things set up. Next on the list is testing the use of a unique header and skin for a merc unit that shows up whenever someone enters their section.

Edited by Dihm, 07 November 2011 - 12:15 PM.

#5 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

View PostDihm, on 07 November 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

I was hoping to get more community feedback before going and inviting any and all merc units. :D

Unfortunately we don't really have any (besides my own and Smoke Jaguar) units committed to FRR yet, so that isn't working out so great.

And when the Jaguar's get behind something, we really push it to win. We already have a small drove of people applying to the site, thank Kerensky we set up the mechanics to host them all. I have found that 'if you build it, they will come' so chin up guys FRR will take off. Esspecially the more us Jags promote it. We are already about 30 strong :)

And I think we may convince the 304th Assault Cluster (Ghost Bears) to go with FRR as well, since we have a close working and friendly relationship with their leader.

#6 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

We went ahead and made a section for you guys as well, with a link to your site. :)

Without knowing how the Devs are going to set up the factions and merc units (can people from multiple houses join the same unit, can a unit move from one house to another), it is a bit hard to plan. What are your thoughts on offering the forums as a service to any merc unit who doesn't want to set up a site/forum of their own? We've set up the back end so that we should be able to accommodate having units contracted to multiple houses without fear of data leaking across. We've noticed that a lot of corps so far don't have site, and we want to see this community thrive.

Edited by Dihm, 07 November 2011 - 12:47 PM.

#7 Jacob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

Site is quite awesome thanks for the hard work op.

#8 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

Lots left to do! ScrewCityChris is my monkey behind the curtain. He enjoys all this for some reason.

I just hope people find it useful. If not, let us know how to improve it.

#9 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

View PostDihm, on 07 November 2011 - 12:43 PM, said:

We went ahead and made a section for you guys as well, with a link to your site. :D

Without knowing how the Devs are going to set up the factions and merc units (can people from multiple houses join the same unit, can a unit move from one house to another), it is a bit hard to plan. What are your thoughts on offering the forums as a service to any merc unit who doesn't want to set up a site/forum of their own? We've set up the back end so that we should be able to accommodate having units contracted to multiple houses without fear of data leaking across. We've noticed that a lot of corps so far don't have site, and we want to see this community thrive.

It makes sense but I will be honest, the ability to chat on our site, real time, makes things quite easy. I have registered on the site, but I believe that I have unwittingly picked up the title as liaison for our unit with your unit as other members have already suggested that I do so.

With that said if you need anything from us, help, advice, sparring partners etc. Please let me know so that we can lend a helping hand. The Clan is quite serious about throwing our weight behind you and the FRR. At least until we can be...us. But that that point I imagine we will have a little love for you guys since we have partnered earlier in the game, and should you need help you need only call.

Regardless for now, if you wish to have that megamek match let me know and I will set it up :)

#10 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:15 AM

Sounds good! We figured folks with established sites wouldn't be moving over, but liaising (is that the word?) instead. That's exactly the hope.

Updates: We have the form for Applications completed. It can be tailored to however the unit would like. After a person registers for the site, they can then go up and apply for any unit which is set up on the site. It will auto-create a thread in that unit's Applications forum, which members of that unit can then comment on before the person is given membership.

We've also tested the unit skins. It's ugly as sin right now because I am no graphic artist, but I whipped up a horrible blue camo that the site changes to when you enter the 3rd Drakons section.

#11 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:56 AM

Hey most websites start off ugly as sin. Also do not feel bad we pay for premium service on ours, lets us do a whole bunch. We have so many guys that when a couple guys give some money we are set for a while. Until you can do that it is hard to get the bells and whistles you want, unless you have a great HTML and CSS coder.

Regardless I will check in and if I see anything on ours I will make a mark, thanks for the website direct though. We have already had a bunch of additions, this game is going to be a whole different ball game, and the Clan Smoke Jaguar is going to be much much more dangerous than we originally were.

#12 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

We actually don't have anyone doing html at this point, it's all powered by vBulletin.

#13 ScrewCityChris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

I am doing some coding, you just are not aware of everything I am doing :)

#14 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

As it should be. It wouldn't be technowizardry if I was.

#15 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:54 AM

Updated to vBulletin 4.1.8 without a hitch, nice work Chris. :)

#16 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

The last two times I set up sites for Armageddon Unlimited, so I'm going to let someone else do at least a basic one this time, taking it as far as they can. To that end, I've emailed my long-time friend and XO of our unit, LightScout, sent him your link and the link to this post, and I'm asking him to check it out. He and I will work together to figure out whether or not we want to bring our business to UOB or get on our own site, again. I have web space, pretty much unlimited, but I have to admit having the support would be really nice. We'll let you know one way or the other, whether through an application or follow-up post here.

Thank you, regardless, for putting this on offer.

#17 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

Our highest hope is to foster a great community, so anything we can do to help, makes us happy. :lol:

#18 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

And following. Would love to set up a spot for the Skye Rangers, but with papers bearing down on me like a Binary (as I have two main papers) of angry Smoke Jaguars (love you guys ^_^ ), I'll have to put it off until mid-December. Just letting you know you've got my support, though it won't be physically on the site for about a month. Keep doing what you're doing, guys!

EDIT: And I continue to procrastinate. Well, I went ahead and registered so I would be able to keep my name. I like the forum setup so far. Can't wait to really dive into it.

Edited by Alistair Steiner, 22 November 2011 - 02:40 PM.

#19 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

We can probably have it done today, no need to wait. :rolleyes:

Well, at least the initial set up of having your own private members forum, a general section, and the applications set up to go to your unit. Then we'd just need to know who the officers are so we can set them as moderators, get a graphic to go as your unique unit header, and a background image if you'd like a unique one of those too.

Since you already registered, we'll get the process started and set you up as a moderator for your sections. <_<

#20 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Okay, you're pretty well set! Looks like the officers and members forums are good with their permissions (I can't see them). You should also be set up as a moderator (the various unit leaders will be mods so they can manage their sections).

I took the liberty of making a quick header for your unit page, just so you had something to start with. Just a color and unit insignia swap of what I have for the Third. We just need a little bit more info from you and it should be all done. I created a new welcome thread for you in the moderator's section.

Welcome to the 4th Skye Rangers! <_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users