Section 8 And Mwo

6 replies to this topic

#1 Inyc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 332 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Section 8 is a neat little shooter, nothing ground breaking but very solid, that has a very nice 'drop mechanic that seems like it would be perfect for the start of MWO games instead of just spawning there.

Now its not just a visual thing, there's also some gameplay built into it. You can "deny" some areas by placing AA turrets, slowing your descent allows for a smoother landing that transitions right into movement, while a faster descent takes longer to recover from the landing.

But having it be purely visual would be fine. We can all agree that this little video is cool as hell, right?

And speaking of visuals, while I know 3rd person view is off the table as far as gameplay goes (couldn't you get limited 3d person in using launched probes that, when destroyed, put you back in 1st person?) I feel like never giving us a look at our giant machines of destruction outside of the mechlab is a real waste. It SHOULD be done, and there are some good times to do it with no gameplay impact.

Like a sweeping 3rd person view of the team pre-game, and then a panning camera shot of our mech after a victory. I mean you get one when you are turned into a pile of ignominious slag, but not when you are a glorious victor? Why? :)

#2 Benyamin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 169 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, Georgia

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Sometime in the future, there is supposed to be a dropship mode where you can drop other mechs into the battle, if I'm not mistaken.

But I think it would be awesome to start a match on board a dropship, waiting in your cockpit to be dropped onto the battle field.

#3 Kooler

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

I don't think copying the Co-Developers of Aliens:Colonial Marines is a good idea. I'd rather they develop their own ideas.

All in due time, need to get CW worked out first and deployed

#4 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostInyc, on 22 February 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Like a sweeping 3rd person view of the team pre-game, and then a panning camera shot of our mech after a victory. I mean you get one when you are turned into a pile of ignominious slag, but not when you are a glorious victor? Why? :)

Im all for this. No visual treatment for when you die seems like an oversight.. Plus its fun to check out the paintschemes pre battle.
pgi should be on this anyways.. I love the game and see nothing wrong with promoting ideas that are incentives for MC> Like paint.
Seeing your mech , full screen , victorious in all its painted glory , maybe missing an arm here or there is the best MC sales gimmick for buying paint, cammo, etc.. Not to mention when stickers are in, clan, faction pride end of game screenshots will indeed be epic..
Make it happen pgi.

#5 Inyc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 332 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostKooler, on 22 February 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

I don't think copying the Co-Developers of Aliens:Colonial Marines is a good idea. I'd rather they develop their own ideas.

All in due time, need to get CW worked out first and deployed

Section 8 came out a few years back, and its actually quite a good game, don't be hatin now. And I was talking specifically about the immersion that having a live drop would bring to the game. Its a cannon Mechwarrior thing, did you watch the 2nd video?

#6 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think this is a great idea, if implemented right. Works very well with the strategic/battlegrid aspect of the game, too. And, as someone who prefers assault mechs, I'm always a big fan of anything that saves me a walk :)

#7 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

The idea of dropping into combat like this is a great one.
Although, I foresee issues with where players will be allowed to drop, areas will have to be restricted to avoid people dropping right on the enemy base..etc.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users