Tournament Feedback

419 replies to this topic

#301 pjnt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 425 posts
  • LocationDetention Block 23, Death Star

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

No thanks. Supposed to be a team game. Need Solaris to do any solo grind ups.

I have 3 kids. Won't let me put in the awesome time needed to compete at the top of who can grind out the most games. Tourney of people without a life - not one of skill or teamwork.

#302 Mr 144

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

View Postpjnt, on 24 February 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

No thanks. Supposed to be a team game. Need Solaris to do any solo grind ups.

I have 3 kids. Won't let me put in the awesome time needed to compete at the top of who can grind out the most games. Tourney of people without a life - not one of skill or teamwork.

I have 3 kids and a wife (38 years young here) and all the kids have been groomed to mechwarrior since birth. Heck, my 9 year old could run circles around half these people..lol. That being said, I have to publically thank my family for getting behind me and supporting me throughout this endurance challenge. I only wish I would have fully understood the grind required before hand. My wife actually yelled at me for that, as we all could have planned our weekend accordingly.

Mr 144

#303 The Testiclops

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Compie
  • Compie
  • 252 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

I didnt log on once this weekend for the tardation that is this games COD arcade lameness its promoting. Give us lobby's give us restrictions to the size of weapons u can put in a hard point give us variety. ..

#304 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

View PostAthanos Kerensky, on 25 February 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

I didnt log on once this weekend for the tardation that is this games COD arcade lameness its promoting. Give us lobby's give us restrictions to the size of weapons u can put in a hard point give us variety. ..

Derp ta Derp Derp...Otay :rolleyes:

#305 KKillian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 304 posts
  • LocationGeneva, IL

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

I played my Cataphract 3D the entire time, 2x ERPPC and a Gauss... while people call this cheese I would like to see them outsnipe me. That being said after being called a hacker at least a dozen times, staying in every drop until the scoreboard pops, being headhunted constantly for being ON the board, did my best every round and still in top 5 after getting 2 full nights of sleep. I think I did alright and I still have my dignity! (Hospice caretaker, I sit at home all day anyway)

Overall I had a lot of fun meeting all the good pilots on top and learning who deserves proper respect, which I might add is certainly not reflected on the boards in anything other then W/L ratio but actually playing with these guys and seeing the ELO come to life slightly alleviates my hatred of whoever decided this was any type of competition.

Treating this community like labrats under the guise of a skill based competition is an insult. We realize the ELO needs balance and a simple incentive of "whoever plays the most games in 48 hours" with a stupid banner would have done just that. Honestly. Instead you come up with this garbage and expect us as a community to not be offended? Come on, this is one of the older, more mature game communities I have come across, less since free to play release but still overall respectable people, please be more up front with us in the future.

#306 Omegaspecter

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

While I enjoyed the novelty of the tournament (which is why I choice to participate). It would be nice if future tournaments did not require 40+ hours of commitment to be competitive. Not to mention it's not healthy to go without sleep. I played ~41 hours straight minus 5 minute food breaks.

#307 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

View PostOmegaspecter, on 25 February 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

While I enjoyed the novelty of the tournament (which is why I choice to participate). It would be nice if future tournaments did not require 40+ hours of commitment to be competitive. Not to mention it's not healthy to go without sleep. I played ~41 hours straight minus 5 minute food breaks.

Way more than me. I was playing in the afternoons/evenings, running games while waiting for people I was chatting online with to reply. :rolleyes:

#308 KKillian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 304 posts
  • LocationGeneva, IL

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

Next tourny better have 30 or so assorted big boobed bobbleheads that bounce steadily as my mech hops around as the prizes. I demand it.

#309 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostKKillian, on 25 February 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Next tourny better have 30 or so assorted big boobed bobbleheads that bounce steadily as my mech hops around as the prizes. I demand it.

Is that a vote for the Fafnir? :D

#310 Britane

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 48 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Please... Tell us what the rankings would be if you left out # of games from the score and used it to get an "average" score for games played over the period of time. Then present the list in 3 sets: players who played less than 50 games, players with 51-200 games, players with over 200 games. Or at least... release the data.

#311 Desist

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

Played the last 32 hours straight. Played here and there before that. Managed to get Assault rank 10. Twas a long hard road, but it was fun. I enjoyed seeing the majority of the players on the boards in game. Don't think I'd do the tournament again unless it was something I absolutely have to have and it's free.

I did not understand how the score worked at all. I mean look at my win/losses compared to the people around me. I really wanted to Master my Dragons, but I noticed when I piloted my only Assault, the DDC, my rank shot up ridiculously high. I played like 30 matches maybe and broke 100 that first day. Now I consider myself a fairly decent Atlas pilot, but I wasn't running with what in my mind is a good build for this sortof competition.

I only have the one Atlas so I couldn't switch to a different Assault, although I did have like 27mill cbills sitting there. I stayed and watched most of the matches I was in and I really enjoyed spectating and talking with my team post mortem.

Anyways, it was fun. I would not do a marathon tournament again unless it was worth something good. Also, it's bad for my health.

#312 Britane

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 48 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

I hope no one died playing.

Not too cool to encourage such binge gaming. :D

View PostBritane, on 25 February 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

Please... Tell us what the rankings would be if you left out # of games from the score and used it to get an "average" score for games played over the period of time. Then present the list in 3 sets: players who played less than 50 games, players with 51-200 games, players with over 200 games. Or at least... release the data.

we should have a vote or something requesting this maybe

#313 Quardak

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationRaumsystem Kitzingen

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

this Event was not made for the Best player... it was made to get ELO-Scores from PUG.

If PGI want an answer for good player they take the best 50 Games ... not the MOST Games for the Winners :D

If you realize PGI`s Intention what to get you can play without stress :huh:

#314 Elessar

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,100 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

I am definitely not hardcore enough to spend the number of hours continuously playing in order to get to the top of the ranking list.

But the games I played during the time were fun ... for the most part
(maybe except for the one time, where the last remaining mech pilot in our team spent over a minute to kill an AFK Cat, instead of capping one of the resource mines that was nearby, like he should, thereby most probably causing the whole team to lose the match)

Edited by Elessar, 25 February 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#315 RobinSage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Inner Sphere

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

I played a total of 231 games all weekend. That's an average of 4 drops an hour. I slept for 6 hours both nights. I didn't run any Raven-3L's or Atlas-DDC's just for those ECM doubters. I coached a hockey game and attended class for over 5 hours. So it wasn't all about drops. Here's where I ended up. Great fun. And I realized what I'm good at running and what I'm not. Great games everyone. Also a special shout out to the HARD Corp. BE A HERO Leaderboarders: Pat Kell, 22 Overall, RobinSage 50 Overall, AgentOFortune 9 Mediums, and KKillian coming in 5th in Heavies!

Posted Image

#316 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,093 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

I am extremely proud of my teammates for the effort and consistency they put into this thing this weekend.

I am excited for the future and absolutely confident we will be a force come live meta-verse.

-As to the tourney in particular, they need transparency in what the scored and how they weighted things.

-They need to announce these things in a bit further advance than a day or two. There are a lot of players I imagine that had no clue this was going on until it was too late to even make an effort.

-They need to do something about all these people farming disconnects every game and dying in the first couple seconds and disconnecting. Running straight in and feeding the opposite team. Then disconnecting with no effort at all.

-There were some absolutely horrible players in this thing. I couldn't count how many games where the scores were so lop-sided scoring less than 100 points in damage (thats like 4 to 5 shots I estimate with a 20-25 pt damage mech).

Not a test of skill or to find out who's the best (rather than to prove how far some mechwarriors will go [how much they will play] to win anything), but whatever a good majority of it was fun.

Anyways just my thoughts.

#317 Footupyzz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts
  • Locationplanet earth

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

Tip
Don't call it a tournament...call it a test.
Cause in a tournament everybody has a fair change.
The only thing i see in the statts is that the more you play the more you are on top of the list.
Although i heared that winning is just a small % of your score in the ranking.

i understand that you peeps are doing this for testing something.

I feel sorry for a few lone wolfs that expect when there is a four man group pressent in your team they expect to win!?
Why? if you play solo for statts you do that **** by yourself ...do not expect help from the four group. And do not get angry when you lose:D...Cause that's your own fault. My four team was most of the matches we played alive while the rest was already dead:D And then start crying about it.. that we fcked up!?....lol....you were dead in the first 5 min. of the game. So do not blame the teamplayer blame yourself for playing stuppid:D

Good luck all :D

Edited by Footupyazz, 25 February 2013 - 02:04 AM.

#318 Chaos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 133 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

This tournament actually made me take out my Commando for a ride. Also having a rank stimulates me playing more, I guess having some kind of "target" motivates you more than just gathering CB.

Also rank has many uses among players/clans/teams, but it should mean different things for different classes of mechs. E.g. for assault & heavy mechs damage should be considered as good indicator, assists should weight more be more for lights/mediums than for Assaults etc. How you are going to implement that is up to you.

PGI, I think you did a good job with this tournament and it was right on time for adjusting ELO ratings. Well done.

#319 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

Ok so now that it is over here's my feedback:

First of all: Never do it this way again. The experience is just utterly bad. It really makes it hard argumenting against the "Pugs are worthless scum" kind of comments, when people throw all fun overboard to farm as many matches as they can in as little time as possible, leading to early DC's (when things look bad) intentional base races and all the other stuff often thrown in hate against PUGs.

Best don't do lone-wolf tournaments at all anymore. It's just against the spirit of this game revolving around team-based gaming. And I say this as a pure lone-wolf. Instead of trying to cater to me in fail ways give me more incentive to in fact look for a group to play with regularly. Tournaments for Teams would be exactly that.

Also I'd like to share a little breakdown of my weekend in numbers:

I placed number 204 in the "Heavy" bracket. With exactly 100 matches played (47/53 W/L) whichscored me 83 points. About 50 of those matches were on River City (Day or Night regardless it's the same thing) at least half of them were mindless intentional base races. Another 25 matches were on Forest Colony. About 10 times Frozen City. And 5 macthes on both Alpine and Caustic.

Getting River City more often than other maps is a trend I have observed for a few weeks now and i really dislike it as this map is pure and utter **** in it's current form at least in my view. The team starting in north (upper position) doesn't even need to scout to know what the other team does as they can look right into the opposing base to see wether it is upper or lower city.

Regarding Elo I found myself constantly matched together with people from the top 25 of the various weight brackets, whom apart from playing that unhumanly number of matches for sure earned their ranks through skill leading me to believe I should have a much lower Elo rating than them and thus play with totally different people

All in all I of course congratulate those that won this tournament as they mostly earned their rank through skill and andurance but, as I said in the start, never again please. But if you feel you have to do lone-wolf ladders again: Please use the number of matches played as an averaging factor so that playing a lot only helps you when you do good more often than bad.

Edit: I'd like to add something. Actually I'd find it quite nice if instead of banners that only I see, I get rewarded with UNIQUE (as in ONLY obtainable that ONE time in that ONE tournament) camo patterns or decals so I can show off my awe to others and make them tremble in fear when they see me.

Edited by Jason Parker, 25 February 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#320 Ari Dian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:19 AM

View PostKKillian, on 25 February 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

I played my Cataphract 3D the entire time, 2x ERPPC and a Gauss... while people call this cheese I would like to see them outsnipe me. That being said after being called a hacker at least a dozen times, staying in every drop until the scoreboard pops, being headhunted constantly for being ON the board, did my best every round and still in top 5 after getting 2 full nights of sleep. I think I did alright and I still have my dignity! (Hospice caretaker, I sit at home all day anyway)

Overall I had a lot of fun meeting all the good pilots on top and learning who deserves proper respect, which I might add is certainly not reflected on the boards in anything other then W/L ratio but actually playing with these guys and seeing the ELO come to life slightly alleviates my hatred of whoever decided this was any type of competition.

Treating this community like labrats under the guise of a skill based competition is an insult. We realize the ELO needs balance and a simple incentive of "whoever plays the most games in 48 hours" with a stupid banner would have done just that. Honestly. Instead you come up with this garbage and expect us as a community to not be offended? Come on, this is one of the older, more mature game communities I have come across, less since free to play release but still overall respectable people, please be more up front with us in the future.

And still. You did 348 matches in this time. With an average time of 10 min per match it means it was 58 hours chain playing. Non stop.
You might call it normal, for me this is not acceptable to be on top. I am, after all, way to casual to be on top no matter what system is being used. So it dont bother me at all.

I made some statistics from the end result. In this case from the Light one (will do the other 3 as well). But i already guess they will look simillar.

(insert random pic that is broken when i hit submit....)

The main reason for being top is the number of matches played. Not as clear and straight as i thought it will be, but still. The only question is, are there as well some player behind the place 25 that have 300+ matches?
Sadly it was used for this tournament. But imo it is a stupid indicator. And not fair for these who play fair and are good.
To bad the rest infos are missing to know where the score comes from as well.

But the only way to make these many matches (471 for the first and second, there is even one with 532 in the medium mech score), that give you a average of 9.4 min per match, seems for me to sucide run and damage as many mechs as you can for the assists. IF this tactic was used (i dont say it was so), it is surprissing that it still lead to such a good W/L Ratio.

I woud love to see the top100 or top500 from the standings, to see if the trend is really fitting with matches played, of if there is a break somewhere.

i will add the picture later.

Edited by Ari Dian, 25 February 2013 - 04:25 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users