Hard Hitting Trebuchet Loadouts

44 replies to this topic

#21 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 02 March 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

I almost feel like XLs are mandatory, otherwise you sacrifice too much speed or equipment weight. I only have fragility problems when I try to brawl, which most mediums are not made for. Can they? Yeah, but it's like cutting a piece of bread off the loaf with a plastic spoon.

Yup.

There's a way to drop a 235 std into the 7K and fit it with an AC20, 2ML and an srm4 (though I ran mine with a 225, adding ferro would have freed up space for the mild engine upgrade) and it was pretty good as a 4G with missles. Still though, that sacrificed too much of the mobility of the Treb, which is one of its strong suits. Works quite well swapping out the 20 for a 10 and adding a second srm4 though. :)

#22 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

1.33 heat efficiency runs pretty well 11 total dhs. I dont find heat an issue since im moving at 132 k/h I can engage and disengage at will.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 03 March 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#23 Jay Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 209 posts
  • LocationJumpship in the Periphery

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Trebuchet 3C - just bought one the other day, figured I'd start with the most expensive - also wanted to try my hand at LRMs.

WOW! - well wow after some mods. I've always gone extremes in other builds, splat cats or med lasers and SRM6s for the Stalker, the AWS 9Ms talked about are pretty much the same as mine (and yes, love it), but damn this 3C is fun. And it's fun because I have finally made a well balanced mech. Here's the build:
1 LRM20 Artemis (3 tonne ammo)
2 Med Lasers
1 Large Laser
XL300
12 DHS
Endo Steel
286 armour value (the R&L torsos and legs aren't full).

It's fast enough to stay out of trouble and away from most mechs so that by the time they do close, the LRMs have ripped em up enough for some well placed laser shots to finish them off. And I can shoot and shoot and not overheat.
An almost fully healthed awesome took a lot of LRM damage to the right torso in one match and a couple of laser hits there proved he was running an XL - I was happy with that kill, I am (very) slowly learning precision aim - it's hard with a 270 ping.

In any case loving the Treb and can't wait to try out other variants people have listed here.

Good Hunting All.

#24 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Nice balanced build. When you wanna go fast drop in that xl370 (132 with tweak)

#25 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6235213a4711618

I had a lot of fun with this build.
125ish kph with speed tweak, sniping with the er large laser did surprising amounts of damage.
Easy to get on heavies and assaults backs and core them through the back.
Just make sure to lay off the er large laser when you close.

#26 Wanderfalke NK

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 03 March 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

Nice balanced build. When you wanna go fast drop in that xl370 (132 with tweak)

I would recommend an 365. Over 130 with tweak and one more ton free for Stuff you realy need. Like weapons! :D
Shove in one more mL to have 4. You need to make dmg fast and "a lot" if you engage and disengage quick.

#27 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

My 7m is and remains my only purchased mech...just started playing a few weeks ago. I can't remember the details specifically, but I went with an XL engine, endo, DHS and put on three MPLS, two srm 6 and one srm 4. I primarily duel/brawl with it...I don't have the range for anything else, but it's fairly good in this role. I like to let the heavies get out ahead of me and engage, then I swoop in from the side or back and start nailing anyone who isn't paying enough attention. It works well if you don't run around a rock and find yourself in the middle of their entire force.

I'm thinking about picking up the ballistic variant and maybe experimenting with a gauss/ERPPC sniper build. I didn't have much luck with the early 7M LRM build...kept breaking lock. I like to do some ranged warfare though, so the sniping style may work for me.

#28 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 03 March 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

1.33 heat efficiency runs pretty well 11 total dhs. I dont find heat an issue since im moving at 132 k/h I can engage and disengage at will.

Ah, 1.33 doesn't sound bad. Mechlab has it at a 36% heat efficiency, which looks a little hot at first blush. When over the c bills to do it, I think I will go with the 365XL. I can maintain a decent heat efficiency, add another ton of SRM ammo ( I find 3 a must with dual SRM 6), and only lose a couple of KPH.

#29 Perihelion Jack

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

I am really enjoying the Tbt-7m; which I have kitted out with endo-steel, XL300 engine, 5/5 JJs, 1 PPC, 2 MLas, and 2 SRM6 w/Artemis (2T ammo). What you end up with is a highly mobile striker , with the ability to provide supression fire. It does run a little hot if you get greedy with the PPC during an engagement; but after closing the distance, you won't use it anyway. This build allow you to harass heavies or chase scouts away from your column. I have had numerous multiple kill games in it, and it is loads of fun to pilot. 50 firepower for 50 tons moving at over 100kph seems legit.

#30 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Because the Treb's hardpoints are so evenly spread out, this is the first mech I've really had to think about how I want to set up my weapons groups. I'm curious how others are grouping their weapons for this mech.

Take an SRM6 in the torso and an SRM6 in the arm for example. Do you put them both in the same weapon group, and not care if one of those SRM's will go shooting its missiles off in the wrong direction if you shoot too far left or right? Would you group each SRM individually and just hit both buttons to fire both simultaneously? Would you create even more weapons groups that do all of this?

#31 Perihelion Jack

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

I have the arm SRM6 in one group and both together in a second group. This allows me to jump around and shoot 6 missles at extreme angles, as well as giving me an "oh sh*t" button that shoots 12 for those instances where you turn a corner and find yourself staring into the crotch of an Atlas. Along with the Left/Right arm energy weapons on L/R mouse, 2 more groups leaves you with a manageable 4 weapon groups. I think that this loadout may be the most versatile 'mech in the game.

#32 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

Im a Treb lover too. The thing i love about this chassi is the spead at witch you can carry heavy weapons, like ERPPC in combination with missiles or lazors. Speaking of PPC, it shuts down enemy ECM and give you room to, spot and fire your guided missiles, (im looking at you DDC). So basicly you have a fast and jump jet capable chassi that you can outfit for any perpus perpies purpous.
Right now im running 2xERPPC and 3xMPLAS, no JJ ^_^ speed is 90KPH before speed tweak with XL280

#33 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

i think this mech was born on the Alpine map. Even if you equipe only short range weapons you still have the speed to do capping and brawling.

#34 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

Just elite branched out my 7K this morning running this config.

380XL (99kph with tweak)
2xLLAS
2xSRM4
2xMG

Surprisingly effective. I like the spread of ranges it engages in. The SRMs fire in two bursts of 4 rockets each so you have a pretty decent rocket fist. The MGs are there for stripping out internals and are actually quite good at it. Great for neutering armour stripped Atlai and Stalkers who get close. If you don't like MGs you can always lose em and put in AMS, more sinks, or SRM ammo. Personally, I think they are worth the 2 tons.

Main complaint I have of the mech is that you're main weapons are torso mounted with an XL engine. You have to constantly face forward while packing a powder keg. A mixture of wisdom and caution is required to know when is a good time to continue pelting with the MGs and LLAS and when is a good time to swing that empty left arm in the way.

I'm sure more can be done with this mech. Sniper builds with PPCs and a Gauss are certainly viable. I can imagine switching to streaks, or heavier ballistics, or smaller lasers, or whatever. But this build has been working great for me and the multiple ranges and constant scrappiness of weapons it can fire almost without pause seem to fit the role of a medium support mech.

#35 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

What do people recommend for a 7K with a STD 250?

I am running LPulse, mlas, 2SSRM and AMS. I tried adding machine guns but they were complete garbage.

Large laser + ultra-5 was interesting but too situational for most maps. Twin PPC seemed good but I have poor aim with PPC.

Best bet just to build a 5/8 AC-20 carrier?

Edited by Spheroid, 05 March 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#36 Ubersaurus Rex

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 05 March 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

What do people recommend for a 7K with a STD 250?

I am running LPulse, mlas, 2SSRM and AMS. I tried adding machine guns but they were complete garbage.

Large laser + ultra-5 was interesting but too situational for most maps. Twin PPC seemed good but I have poor aim with PPC.

Best bet just to build a 5/8 AC-20 carrier?

I ran this build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bd23c93e91285ce
and had a good deal of success. You can trade the SRM 6's for Streaks and maybe drop one ton of ammo, saving you 3-4 tons, which you can apply toward a larger engine, or more heatsinks, or whatever.
I like this build because I am a fan of all of the weapons it brings to the table. However, it doesn't move *too* fast, so when your UAC5 jams, you *have* to turn your torso and use your dummy arm to block.

#37 Bodzan

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

I prefer TBT-5J design: standart armor, endo-steel structure, around 290 armor points, 4-JJ, 5-ML, 1-LRM15-Artemis, 300XL engine and 16 double heat sinks. Best at ranges from 200-500 with direct line of sight, capable of indirect support and for streaping lone heavy and assault mechs and it has good close range firepower, to chase off the light. Heat sinks give almost constant firing capability.

#38 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

View PostBodzan, on 11 March 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

I prefer TBT-5J design: standart armor, endo-steel structure, around 290 armor points, 4-JJ, 5-ML, 1-LRM15-Artemis, 300XL engine and 16 double heat sinks. Best at ranges from 200-500 with direct line of sight, capable of indirect support and for streaping lone heavy and assault mechs and it has good close range firepower, to chase off the light. Heat sinks give almost constant firing capability.

I think it would be even better if you replace one ML with TAG. Then you can hit thoose D-DCs hard when they close in on you.

#39 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostEvil Ed, on 11 March 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

I think it would be even better if you replace one ML with TAG. Then you can hit thoose D-DCs hard when they close in on you.

That's my 4J build, and it works great.... though I am still learning to best utilize jumpjets, as this is the first mech I've really tried them in.

1 TAG, 4 MLAS and Artemis LRM15.... it's like a 4SP, but prefers mid range where it can bring both LRMs and MLAS to bare.
In fact, I think a 4SP and 4J would make excellent buddies on the battlefield.

The 4J would keep their heads down with LRM fire as they both close, then the 4SP goes all in while the 4J stays in the 200-300m sweet spot raining down LOS LRMs and MLAS fire.

Edited by Ravennus, 11 March 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#40 Lennex

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Just finished the base pilot tree for my 7M, working the other two currently.

the 7M remains the same as in my OP. I've been tearing it up pretty good and it is now my goto mech. I'm often the last one standing on my team with it if we loose, and if we win usually make it to the end if i don't get stupid. I find this mech excels on Forest Colony, Alpine, and surprisingly Caustic. It does run hot, but chain firing the ERPPC's helps a lot. I'm very squishy if I wander out too far or into the open for the LRMS to ****** alive, so it requires me to not get cocky and keep to the basics.

I love PPC's though, especially since they are the ECM counter. my 7M is averaging me 500 damage per game.

My 5J has changed a lot.
TBT-5J

Think of it as a variation of my 7M build. I was just not getting along with using the LRM20+A. I like weaving in and out of traffic dealing damage, and hiding from enemy LRMs. it's a slow build, but still quick enough to hide. I'm finally getting the damage I do with my 7M up there, but now have the added benifit of faster cooling than the 3M and the Mlasers for backup. I've also played with the swapping a DBL HS out for SRM6+A but find that the extra cooling is much better for me. My next experiment will be -1 or 2 DBL HS for more armor since I find I brawl much more with this model.

My 3C is also unchanged, and its a beast. I am considering dropping an SRM6 for more heat sinks and armor. The biggest issue for me with this mech is heat heat heat. But so many times have I flanked an assault, alpha strike their back, run away, come back and do it again, then finish them off with a second SRM6 salvo. Its my favorite cat and mouse game.

I've tried to go back to my Ilya, my AWS9M, or my hunchies... can't do it. I now live for the Trebuchet. I'm not even excited for my long time fav the Jagermech anymore.... I never liked this mech in TT...but I love it here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users