42 replies to this topic

#1 Shrouder

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hello folks,

this is a Raven 3L build I have set up in the last...15 minutes ;) . I bought the 'mech today since I like the ECM/Scout/Support-Role in a team and the Raven fits my playstile best.

I have not modded it yet and I don't want to spend credits on the wrong points, so I wanted to ask you whether this build seems viable or not.

280XL, DHS, Endo, FF, 2xML, 2xSSRM2, I do not use AMS because I think I don't need it against LRMs at 130kph. BAP is also optional and came with the stock-setup, I'll just try it out, if I don't need it I'll remove it. Same goes with TAG. I have no troubles with space so I chose FF and Endo for the weight needed for the 280XL.

What I want to do mostly is scouting for the team and be able to move around the battlefield fast for quick support for heavies/assaults. Just running behind that atlas, alpha and get the hell out, rinse and repeat.

Are 11 DHS enough if I manage to put 2xMPLS instead of 2xML in it?

EDIT: Link

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...05f533f57664589

Edited by Shrouder, 24 February 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#2 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

It looks like your new so I don't want to urinate in your oatmeal but this is hands down the most loathed mech build in all of MWO design.

It's good, but it also takes advantage of several extremely overpowered systems, namely ecm and streaks and turns it into a 1 button killing machine.

Go out and enjoy it but expect to be called names, team killed, legged and harassed throughout your MWO experience. It's getting to be that bad.

Take care.

#3 Orgasmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Why do people think they are contributing something new whenever they post this cheese build?

#4 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

He's new, *Look at his post count*

I want him to enjoy the game and keep playing but not so much at the frustration of everyone he runs into, fine line.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 24 February 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#5 CECILOFS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...66a183cc77991f2

^ That is "THE" build (or at least pretty close) for the Raven 3L.

You can replace 1ML with Tag if you are working in a team or you want to farm some extra c-bills for tagging.

There's also no reason to not use an XL295 - you want to be as fast as you can.

BAP is certainly useful, but since you have ECM you don't really need any of the benefits it provides. The extra scouting range could be handy on Alpine but only marginally on the other maps.

While I have given in and bought one myself, I agree with the other poster: You won't make any friends in this mech :D

#6 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

You forgot artemis cecilofs.

and I'd keep the legs fully armored, only strip a bit off the arms, they're too small to hit anyway.

also, I'd stack the ecm and dhs in the right torso to keep the crit chance as small as possible.

Edited by Flapdrol, 25 February 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#7 Skyon

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 25 February 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

You forgot artemis cecilofs. and I'd keep the legs fully armored, only strip a bit off the arms, they're too small to hit anyway. also, I'd stack the ecm and dhs in the right torso to keep the crit chance as small as possible.

artemis does absolutely nothing to streaks.... so why would you spend the money on it?

#8 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Ignore people. Run what you want. Looks good to me.

#9 Blackadder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

the 280 is fine, if you already have one. 295 is a engine that will only be used on one mech, the raven 3l. 280 will fit on a multitude of mechs, and be a more well rounded XL engine, i use it on cats, cataphracts, centurion D's and other mechs. By all means you should work on getting a 295 XL, but if you plan to play more mech chassis, the 280 is a better investment early on. I will agree that you should drop Tag, and pick up another ML.

Also, Carrioncrows is blowing a lot of smoke, i have yet to be legged, team killed or any other physical thing happen to me in my raven 3l, while getting it to master level. The only thing that has happened, is people complain its a cheese build, and other lights whine when i kill them. Funny thing is, its the same whines people had about jenners prior to ECM.

Last but not least, i honestly would recommend you build out a medium or heavy mech first, and learn to drive that, and become proficient with aiming, learning to take damage, as well as learning the maps. I really do not endorse starting off with a light mech, as its probably the hardest vehicle to drive in the game and be good with. Its only real defense is speed, and unless you have the c-bills to drop on the XL engine at the start, you are going to have to suffer through some very tough matches.

#10 Ser Barristan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWesteros

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

I've been running HBKs for a while and actually picked up a 3L before the hate. Would it be worth building it with a PPC and use it to snipe and harass after the initial scouting or would that be a waste of the chassis?

I find folks don't care for getting hit with PPCs and it doesn't give up your position the way a laser does.

#11 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

I've never seen a raven get team killed at least intentionally. I've never seen them get compliments either no matter how well they do, while even your own team members will call you names if you can't solo kill at least 3 enemy mechs when you're the last one alive on your team. If you like being an important and appreciated member of a team I'd look somewhere else, if you on the other hand like ******* pretty much everyone off, there's no better choice.

I still pilot my 3L when I feel like trolling, but getting top damage and kills just doesn't feel like an achievement in it. And I'll shamefully admit that whenever I leg bad 3L pilots on my other mechs I let them know how bad they were. :)

#12 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

Cute, people still think the Raven is OP. If you're having trouble with Ravens after the laser buff, GET MOAR LAZ0RZ. :) Stalker 3F (6xLL) alpha will almost oneshot a raven, assuming you're not terrible with aiming. Or is the fact that people think streaks are good still an indication of how terrible some peoples aiming still is.

Edit; My Raven 3L is a bit more rounded with 2 ML, 1LL and 2 streaks. Gives me a bit more poke pre-brawl and a higher laser alpha while skirmishing.

Edited by Cerberias, 09 April 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#13 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

View PostCerberias, on 09 April 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

Cute, people still think the Raven is OP.

Are there many other lights that you don't win in the 3L without even trying very hard? Things can still be OP even if they're not downright broken. :)

#14 XSerjo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

View PostKyynele, on 09 April 2013 - 03:00 AM, said:

Are there many other lights that you don't win in the 3L without even trying very hard? Things can still be OP even if they're not downright broken. :)

6xML Cicadas and Jenners are popular today (due to missile-nerf). They don't need to kill you, they just want to burn your leg =) . And it's all over.

I think that ECM is OP, not 3L: it allows ECM-carriers to isolate target and eat it - that's what light mechs have to do.

#15 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

View PostXSerjo, on 09 April 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

6xML Cicadas and Jenners are popular today (due to missile-nerf). They don't need to kill you, they just want to burn your leg =) . And it's all over.

I think that ECM is OP, not 3L: it allows ECM-carriers to isolate target and eat it - that's what light mechs have to do.

/puke /facepalm /puke

#16 Milt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

your assumptions on that neviu is either new or inexperienced seem to be ill founded. why not answer the damned question instead of all the condescention. he does have a founders tag, so i'd imagine that he has been around for a day or two.

#17 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

yea ime new just been for what like 6-7 months now ,, Posted Image

#18 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 24 February 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

turns it into a 1 button killing machine.

you didn't pee in his oatmeal you just encouraged him. :ph34r:

bah, the raven 3L is a fun mech to play. others shouldn't hate the player but the game.

and no your team wont kill you or leg you for showing up on the battlefield with that mech.

having said that, you'll get much more respect in a commando or spider. but who cares about respect? everyone deserves to trick out a Raven 3L.

Edited by BoPop, 09 April 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#19 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

2xML 1xERPPC 280XL :D have fun sniping while moving 142kp/h just avoid streak lights. Bait them to ur team or just snipe them from more than 240m. U can have a nice kills with this little boy :ph34r:

#20 Jim Stark

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostCerberias, on 09 April 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

Cute, people still think the Raven is OP. (...)

Edit; My Raven 3L is a bit more rounded with 2 ML, 1LL and 2 streaks. Gives me a bit more poke pre-brawl and a higher laser alpha while skirmishing.

I use this exact weaponry in my build and can confirm it worked wonders prior to missile nerf.

On another note, I've messed around and removed following from my build.
- Both streaks + ammo
- ECM
- Added a Large laser ( so 2LL and 1 med )

DPS wise it was superior to earlier build, and to be honest I did not felt losing ECM affected me in any way except getting hit by occasional streaks. Made me wonder if I was spending 5.5 tons of equipment only thanks to the people saying theses system are OP, when truly they aren't anymore, especially since the missile nerf. Think of it, missiles being near obsolete, spending tonnage on thoses and on a system to both use them and protect vs them is not very attractive.

Also, I personnally think the real strong feature of the raven is simply put it's 150km/h speed and high mounted laser hardpoints. This and what was it'***** boxes, which I am unsure how it's fix affect me at this point.

Now, how does a 3L without ECM and fixed hit boxes compare to a Jenner or Cicadas? On paper, looks like same speed and more laser hardpoints for them. In practice, I still seem to get the upper hand 1 on 1. Maybe a better weapon convergence and torso twist on the raven? Hitboxes still better despite the fix? That or I should use a Jenner and see for myself. :ph34r:

Edited by Jim Stark, 09 April 2013 - 10:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users