You Calling My Chalk Cheese?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

My AS7-RS, is by far my most favourite mech. I have it setup as such (brawler, with a little bit of reach);
Loadout-
•315 std engine- additional 2 heat sinks
•4 Large Lasers
•2 Artemis SRM 6 (buffered with ammo in case, and heatsink)
•1 AC20 (buffered with AC ammo in case)
•Endo steel
•DHS

Stats-
•51 Kph (56Kph with speed tweak)
•560 points std armor (legs dropped, all others full. Armor point distribution shall remain top secret info :D )
•0.97 heat efficiency (2x efficiencies make it easier to handle)
•86 firepower

Now, whilst brawling away, I was accused of running 'just another cheese build'. Now, I rarely see a fellow RS (pugging), and if I do, they are stacked up with LRMs, or PPCs. So I'm wondering, have I missed something? My belief was that most people only use the RS as a stepping stone to master their DDCs, so how does this count as cheese (not that I mind, I like cheese)?

#2 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I don't see this as a cheese build.

#3 Sedant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 243 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Very nice build, im gonna break my bank making one, even though i have already mastered the other Atlas models. Looks like it can lay down the fire and can't wait to take it for a spin. A side note, do you commonly find yourself chain firing the lasers or just alpha blasting away?

Edited by Sedant, 27 February 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#4 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

View PostSedant, on 27 February 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Very nice build, im gonna break my bank making one, even though i have already mastered the other Atlas models. Looks like it can lay down the fire and can't wait to take it for a spin. A side note, do you commonly find yourself chain firing the lasers or just alpha blasting away?

I chain the quad LLs mostly, but also have a 4th group setup for all LLs to fire simultaneously. I think I can get about 2, maybe 3 alphas (one full alpha, the rest just LLs), before I shut down. I tried running it with MPLs too, but they just don't have the range or damage (even the faster fire rate, and extra speed from the larger engine you can fit, doesn't compensate), and when the side torsos are first target, it helps to have a lot of firepower remaining in your arms when your ac and srms go. It brawls a charm, and with the longer cooldown of the heavy hitting weapons, you spend less time exposing any particular section for too long. It really allows you to put out big damage quickly, then turn to spread damage from incoming fire.

Edited by Mokey Mot, 22 March 2013 - 04:09 AM.

#5 TripleHex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:18 AM

Cheese build = Splat Cat and Streak Cat, among a few other mechs (like the dual AC/20 K2 and the dual Gauss K2).

#6 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

There are two ways of defining cheese;

1. A build that allows good results with low skill; a bit of cheese is important as it allows new players to somewhat compete with veterans. "Good" cheese has a low skill-cap, so as a player improves at the game their performance remains the same leading them to experiiment with more complex and effective builds. "Bad" cheese starts out okay with low-skill but becomes god-like with an experienced pilot.

2. Anything that beats a player with an especially inflated opinion of themselves. I mean, c'mon man there's no freakin' way you could beat 'em in a fair fight there must be something cheesy about that build.

Edited by Heeden, 22 March 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#7 Major Derps

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

View PostHeeden, on 22 March 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

There are two ways of defining cheese;

1. A build that allows good results with low skill; a bit of cheese is important as it allows new players to somewhat compete with veterans. "Good" cheese has a low skill-cap, so as a player improves at the game their performance remains the same leading them to experiiment with more complex and effective builds. "Bad" cheese starts out okay with low-skill but becomes god-like with an experienced pilot.

2. Anything that beats a player with an especially inflated opinion of themselves. I mean, c'mon man there's no freakin' way you could beat 'em in a fair fight there must be something cheesy about that build.

Thanks for the definition. Never fully understood the parameters of a 'cheese build' (not sarcastic by the way).

Edited by Mokey Mot, 24 March 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#8 Glory in the Highest

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

Your build is not cheese because

cheese is a myth.

It's a concept made up by people who have lost, and who are unable to actualize the legitimacy of their loss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users