House Kurita CoC Table of Organization

28 replies to this topic

#21 Promptus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationMatamoras

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Not to get too off-topic... maybe a little... I'm kind of curious to see how the canon regiment thing plays out. Are we (Night Stalkers) going to be forced into resigning our regiment name entirely in order to remain a player led regiment or would some non-canon variant be applicable (such as 4th NS, 5th NS, etc)

More applicable to the topic I would definitely like to see some coherent unit organization by way of coordinated comms (TS3) and forums (*cough* housekurita.org *cough*)

#22 Targun Darklighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBroken Wheel Federated Commonwealth

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

ok the ALAG started out as shock troops. Convicts given rudimentary mech training and dropped behind enemry lines to sell themself as dearly as possible.(ALAG is the brainchild of Jinjiro Kurita).The Shin Legion is actually the remnants of an expatriate Capellan unit that fled the CCshortly after Romano Liao assumed the throne. Battletech Field Manual Draconis Combine FASA copyright 1996

if yall would like i can dig out my copy on the 20 year update by FASA and post the Dragon's ToE

#23 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,665 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

Just taking a guess at things, some regiments you will be able to join without any special requirements while others will have certain requirements.

Take the Houses. There is no requirement on which House you join, so you get to wear badge. But no one can remove you from the House. The same will likely be with the canon units, as long as you meet the requirements. The question will be, can there be sub units, eg player-made companies within unit or will the only player controlled units (who can be in my unit) be the mercs and non-canon House units?

My thoughts are units, such as Sword of Light, ALAG and other canon units, as long as a pilot meets game requirements they can wear that unit badge. The only bad thing about that will the dregs who make the requirements but are not worthly of the unit name.

(chuckles) Imagine the famed or the BT Elite units being filled with cast offs/misfits/nasty ***, people who you would not allow within 10 meters of your unit.

Maybe it will not be that bad....

#24 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostTargun Darklighter, on 02 June 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

ok the ALAG started out as shock troops. Convicts given rudimentary mech training and dropped behind enemry lines to sell themself as dearly as possible.(ALAG is the brainchild of Jinjiro Kurita).The Shin Legion is actually the remnants of an expatriate Capellan unit that fled the CCshortly after Romano Liao assumed the throne.
Hai, all of this was never put into question. I am confused where the mention of mercenary assets and an Amphigean agri-corp as mentioned on sarna are coming from, though. Is this simply additional information sourced in another book, or did someone make a mistake on the wiki?

As said before, the Shin Legion was listed only as "proof" that formations adopted by the DCMS may keep their own heraldry/identity rather than being renamed or even dissolved (its materiel and members distributed to existing regiments).

Basically: If the edict allowed mercenary units to join the Combine, as Minoru-san mentioned on page 1, they might retain their old name. This would be a canonical opportunity to add "mercenary" units to this era's DCMS roster - they just would not be true mercenaries anymore but firmly integrated into Combine hierarchy and with a soldier's regular pay instead of contracts.

Also, I just noticed that the "Death to Mercenaries" campaign does implicitly allow the Kurita player to deploy mercenary forces. Irony, is it not? ^^

View PostTargun Darklighter, on 02 June 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Battletech Field Manual Draconis Combine FASA copyright 1996
Shamefully, it seems that I was still missing this book from my collection - now that I was made aware, I have quickly attained it by purchase of the PDF on drivethrurpg.com - I hope that I am not missing any other important material anymore.

Domo!

View PostPromptus, on 02 June 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

I'm kind of curious to see how the canon regiment thing plays out. Are we (Night Stalkers) going to be forced into resigning our regiment name entirely in order to remain a player led regiment or would some non-canon variant be applicable (such as 4th NS, 5th NS, etc)
I am not sure if the developer will force anyone to surrender a name, even if it does not fit. The primary drawback of "bad" names will be the associated stigma. But I would think that invented additional regiments such as the examples you posted are easier.

The Night Stalkers are perhaps somewhat more problematic as this formation is very small, and any additional regiments might attract attention by players well-versed in the background. I believe that by the year that MWO will start, even the 3rd regiment will not yet exist. Is it not founded in 3058?

View PostTarl Cabot, on 02 June 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

The question will be, can there be sub units, eg player-made companies within unit or will the only player controlled units (who can be in my unit) be the mercs and non-canon House units?
From how it looks now, player-controlled formations as sub-units within canon regiments would seem to exist entirely out of the game, not supported by it but relying on community acceptance. Maybe, depending on how these units are presented, they will be easier to accept? I believe the important thing is not to appear as "stealing a name", so by leaving room for other players to form similar commands, essentially sharing a name, it might work.

A DCMS Mech regiment consists of 108 battlemechs - how many players could be interested in a single regiment's name?

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 03 June 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#25 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostTargun Darklighter, on 30 May 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

this looks like the TOE for 3025. by 3049 there was no Mercenaries commands in the Draconis Combine. "Death to all Mercenaries" order as not been lifted by Coordinator Takashi Kurita. not til after his death is that order lifted.

Actually, there were only half a dozen or so small merc companies in the DC's employ (Invading Clans Sourcebook).
For example, on Virenlofta the defending forces in April 3050 was the Seventh Hell's Brigade, which consisted of two mercenary 'Mech companies and 1 infantry battalion.
On Sawyer, may 3050, were stationed the Dark Horns mercenary company.
On Coudoux there's the Colette's Crusaders (which I assume to be a merc company).
And on Savinsville there was the Rolling Thunder, although it isn't clear if they're mercs or borrowed from the FWL. The former seems more likely since given the time, it would've been almost impossible for them to be moved there after the invasion began. Back in 3025-ish they were part of the FWL it seems.

So that's at least two confirmed merc companies in employment of the DC at the time of the clan's invasion (so they couldn't have been hired afterwards).

Could it be an attempt to permanently bind mercenary units to the Combine ("either you're with us, or you're against us"), like it was already attempted with the company store?

So your just telling them to follow us, or we'll follow the Dictum (which explicitly states such).

I see - so there could be "ex-mercenary" formations that formally belong to the DCMS but still have their own name and livery, like the Amphigean Light Assault or the Shin Legion?

The dictum allows for enemy units to be salvaged.

The Amphigeon Light Assault Group was never mercs. Retired MW who still wished to service the Dragon.Shin Legion where a Liao unit til the end of the 4th War.

Until after the Ronin war, even - 3036.
They were forced to leave the CapCon after Romano's ascension to Chancellor.

#26 Targun Darklighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBroken Wheel Federated Commonwealth

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

if u can find a copy of the 20year update by FASA 1989 it as all int info u need info the year 3049. never hear of a merc called rolling thunder.
now there is a Rolling Thunder Bn in the 2nd Regulan Hussar regt.(i think 2nd may be one of the other Regulan Hussar regt). i had the book for them at one time by moving around in army i lost it.i even looked in the War of 3039 and there are no listed merc command under the Dragon's colors. But in this game i Yes Let There be Merc!!!! :rolleyes: :(

#27 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Rolling Thunder is based on the 1st Regular Hussars.
However, I can't find any real mention of them other than the succession war that we didn't start.
But I can't think of any reason why a FWL unit would be stationed in the DCMS.

if u can find a copy of the 20year update by FASA 1989 it as all int info u need info the year 3049

Invading Clans (sourcebook, FASA 1645) has a by-planet mention of the attacking and defending forces, alongside with noticable battlefields. And in case of the DCMS it explicitely mentions 4 mercenary units: The Dark Horns, Seventh Hell's Brigade, Wolf's Dragoons, and Kell Hounds. The latter two are on Luthien and there on orders of Hanse Davion.
And that's from the Smoke Jaguar invasion corridor only.
In the Ghost Bear's invasion corridor we've got the addition of:
Blue Lightning on Kaesong, dec 3051.
The GoldMiners on Mannedorf, Mar 3052.

Edited by Alizabeth Aijou, 03 June 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#28 Promptus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationMatamoras

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 03 June 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

The Night Stalkers are perhaps somewhat more problematic as this formation is very small, and any additional regiments might attract attention by players well-versed in the background. I believe that by the year that MWO will start, even the 3rd regiment will not yet exist. Is it not founded in 3058?

This is the chief reason why, personally, I'd never want to do that. And simply it just feels wrong from an Identity standpoint. We've always been 2nd Night Stalkers, Toyoma's Regiment and to call ourselves anything else other than the basic "Night Stalkers" would just not do.

But there's no point even getting concerned about it until we know more about how this sort of game mechanic (or lack thereof) will be handled.

#29 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

The problem would go deeper than that, then. To me, the difference between inventing regiments that cannot exist yet, and ursurping command of a formation on a "first come first serve" basis in a game like this, both feels equally wrong. Either would thus be attached with stigma, just a different one.

Of course, most players being attracted to the idea of operating under such a popular/famous name are unlikely to be dissuaded by the controversy, so there is no need to even consider an alternative when everything has already been decided in their minds.

Unless, of course, your intention is merely to portray some minor part of this regiment (a number of lances), and not the regiment as a whole (trying to establish a wider command structure)?

All that matters is that there should be no friction between players who wish to organize themselves in a custom unit with such a name, and individuals who earn a place in the regiment as it will (probably?) exist in the game.

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 03 June 2012 - 02:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users