Anyone Else Experiencing Bad Matchmaking?

16 replies to this topic

#1 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, yeah this is a QQ thread. I'm sorry...

I'm really perplexed right now. I've been pugging all night and I've probably won about 5 of 30 games. This happened yesterday as well, but I figured it was just bad luck. Now I'm not so sure. I've tried changing to different weight classes, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Check out my last three matches in my hunchy:

9:47PM MST
Posted Image

9:55PM MST
Posted Image

10:01PM MST
Posted Image

Maybe the matchmaker thinks I'm some kind of one-man hero destroyer of worlds? :rolleyes: ... :angry:

#2 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm not sure what's you're pointing to here.

Your first two screenshots show close matches. Both teams doing similar amounts of damage.

#3 Jeff K Notagoon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Yep. Had one game tonight where my team got absolutely steamrolled. Then on the score screen it showed our team having 2 assaults, other team had 5. And this was on the 4 man queue.

#4 ShadowDarter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSydney city Mechbay

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

i cannot see anything wrong to be honest, Elo will match you up close as possible to your profile, at times you may be put into a higher rated game,as well sometimes being placed into lower rated games.

For a good to very good rating profile it is recommended to play about 50-100 games, but the more you play the more accurate the ELO profile.

#5 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

First of all, the point was clearly stated in the topic. Bad matchmaking. I'm losing most of my rounds and dealing top damage on my team most of the time.

You're wrong/mistaken about the damage similarity. The disparity is far greater than you're assuming with your terrible estimation. Team total match damage:

Match 1: 2401 vs 1428
Match 2: 2539 vs 1746
Match 3: 2084 vs 1280

That's only like oh, 800 to a thousand each?

View PostShadowDarter, on 26 February 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

i cannot see anything wrong to be honest, Elo will match you up close as possible to your profile, at times you may be put into a higher rated game,as well sometimes being placed into lower rated games.

For a good to very good rating profile it is recommended to play about 50-100 games, but the more you play the more accurate the ELO profile.

I've played hundreds of games since ELO went live...

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Just play a few more and perhaps it will realize that you are human just like the rest of us. :rolleyes:

#7 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostProtoformX, on 26 February 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

First of all, the point was clearly stated in the topic. Bad matchmaking. I'm losing most of my rounds and dealing top damage on my team most of the time.

It's bad matchmaking because you lost? What kind of argument is that?

Topping damage on your team doesn't have anything to do with winning the round.

Also tone down the hostility a notch. You're not doing your PoV any favours.

#8 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostThirdstar, on 26 February 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

It's bad matchmaking because you lost? What kind of argument is that?

Topping damage on your team doesn't have anything to do with winning the round.

Also tone down the hostility a notch. You're not doing your PoV any favours.

I shouldn't be getting steamrolled every match. That is bad matchmaking. I'm not your friend, and I don't see how it affects my PoV in any way.

#9 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostProtoformX, on 26 February 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

I shouldn't be getting steamrolled every match. That is bad matchmaking. I'm not your friend, and I don't see how it affects my PoV in any way.

So much for having a 'discussion'. I'm out.

#10 ProtoformX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostThirdstar, on 26 February 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

So much for having a 'discussion'. I'm out.

I appreciate it.

#11 Jaxass

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

I hear you protoform, don't let these ******* get you down MM is totally broken right now. If getting 5-30 is these moron's idea of having fun then let them keep their ELO MM, let us have the old system back. I'm fighting the same fight in this thread (albeit it largely one loud mouth *****). I've decided to log every game I play so people can see statistically how bad match making is. http://mwomercs.com/...3/page__st__380

#12 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of Mind

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

im having the same issues when i am pugging.
hurts like hell getting steamrolled over and over.

when i am with my 3 man premade, things look vastly different.

i thought there are multiple elo scores.

at least one for solo playing and one for team playing?

#13 Brilig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 667 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

Honestly no. I do have to say I've seen a lot better games since Elo came out. Way more close games. All hard fought, and satisfying. Still the occasional stomp, but they are truly occasional and not the norm.

I have seen some people complaining in game about Elo matchmaking fails when they lose. Most of them complain about tonnage mismatches. (Enemy out weighed us, or had more lights.) But honestly it appeared the reasons for the losses were tactical rather than problems with balance. (Mostly the team being too spread out to support each other/protect base.)

#14 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

The scores don't always tell the story of the match... recognizing why you and your team failed (bad teamwork, bad teammate, your own bad performance) is very different than assuming bad MM.

Prior to the MM, the variance was so large, it could go either way more often than not than a close game. Perhaps these games were played at a much lower level than you think it was supposed to be and likewise the opponents are simply playing better than you are.

#15 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

You use a nonviable mech. You are a liability to your team.

Maybe you should tryhard instead of complaining?

#16 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Well, I'm getting some good matches in PUGs, and I'm getting some terrible matches when I'm in a group.

PUG matches are generally fairly close.
Team matches tend to be against groups of FOTM builds in the hands of other teams, with poor weight class matching. They're typically less close than the PUG matches.

#17 Beeman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

So far, since the new matchmaker was dropped on us, I feel like I'm losing a lot more than I'm winning. Like it feels like I'm losing eighty percent of my matches. But I'm not, I guess. Unless my profile statistics are lying to me, I've only got eight more losses than I've got wins...and that typically floats around the -3 region.

My friend sure likes to complain about it, though 'cause when we lose, it's usually to obvious squads of three or four who've probably played thousands of matches or are just exploiting certain popular mech builds with phenomenal team tactics against a bunch of uncoordinated nooblies. Sure feels miserable when most of your losses involve your team being stomped one to three kills against eight.

Might be 'cause we almost exclusively play together, the matchmaker isn't quite tailored to <4 groups, perhaps.

My buddy also likes to point out that winning so thoroughly shouldn't happen very frequently. For example, I personally have only seen one or two matches(out of three or four thousand) in World of Tanks where nobody on one team died. There's always at least thirty percent deaths on both teams. Maybe that's 'cause there's so many more people in each match..maybe it's because matchmaking is better(and not based on any player ranking). I couldn't say, I don't know the background numbers.

All I know is what it feels like and it feels kinda miserable right now...but that's okay. They'll tweak it and tune it and eventually we'll have some really good matches much more frequently.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users