8 replies to this topic

#1 GodziIIa

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the ocean off the coast of Japan

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Hello I am pretty new to the forums so sorry in advance if my post is not well structured.

so I have finally decided to invest in a module for my mechs, but am having trouble deciding which one. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice as to which module I should pick. so right now my main mech is:
STK-5S:
1xLRM 20
3x S-SRM
3x ML
2x LL
1x TAG
AMS
BAP

I was thinking either sensor range or advanced zoom for now, but I couldn't decide which one would be more helpful on the battlefield. I feel the advanced zoom may help me keep a TAG on targets easier but at the same time wonder if a 4x zoom is going to be much better than the standard 3x zoom. On the other hand I am not 100% sure how effective a 15% sensor increase is (does it boost targeting range to ~920m?). Thanks for any advice!

~Godzilla

#2 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Advanced zoom is blurry and really only useful for extreme range sniping in thermal vision mode.

Using multiple missile launchers with locks, your best bet is the Target Decay module, since it will keep your locks longer, giving LRMs more time to reach the target and SSRMs won't have to re-lock as often if the target is moving in/out of cover. Sensor Range is great for LRMs, but you're not that LRM-heavy. It will, however, increase the window in which you can naturally gain locks through ECM (without TAG) to 180-250 (assuming Advanced Sensor Range), rather than the standard 180-200m. Definitely one of the two if you want it specific to that mech/build.

#3 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Advanced Zoom is crap. Go with Adv. Sensor and Cap Accel

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

I second Target Decay followed by Advanced Sensor Range

#5 Ceesa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBoston, USA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

Target decay for the LRMs is godlike. Sensor range is also great.

However, if you have 3 ssrms, you might want to look at 360 target retention so you can keep circling lights locked up.

#6 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

I always liked the faster cap module.

#7 GodziIIa

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the ocean off the coast of Japan

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I will go with target decay and possibly increase my LRM loadout and then 360 target retention to get rid of those pesky lights that circle me (once I get master and an extra module slot) thanks for all the replies!

#8 Strig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

For long range mechs:
  • Sensor Module (all)
  • Target Decay (LRMs)
  • Adv. Zoom (extreme range sniping only)
Fast mechs:
  • Cap Accelerator (all)
  • Target Decay (scout & SSRMs)
  • 360 Target (scout & SSRMs)

For your build I would go sensor range if you want to get lock earlier or target decay if you want to hold lock longer. Because you use LRMs and SSRMs its a tough call which I would prioritize, but Sensor Range is always good on any mech ...

#9 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Also, the Advanced sensor range module helps you target ecm mechs at a further range without tag.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users