Elo - Weight Mismatching - Ecm - All The Fun Gone...

37 replies to this topic

#1 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

Well I'm getting to the point of putting this game aside until PGI acknowledge that there are major flaws in their elo and matchmaking systems...

1) ELO bracket widening, much not high... so much that trying to get out of the initial new player 1300 range is near impossible unless you 4man cheese stomp. Every 3/5 games is a stomping, pure and simple, players don't know how to use their mech or even basic tactics of 'stay together'.

2) Weight mismatching - I don't care if it's done to death, at the present time the system isn't taking weight classes into any solid account. It can't find someone your elo so it grabs the first person (typically in a heavier mech). Or is abused by groups of players to obtain biased weight distributions in a match. They need to tighten the parameter for elo vs weight class... I don't care if a game takes 2min to find if I enjoy it.

3) ECM - it's the broken aspect at the present moment... even a bad player in a 3L raven is going to clean the floor of other mechs... particularly since they tend to come in flocks on one team only. The system needs to account for the ecm variants that players are using and match them up easily... I'm sure there's plenty of ecm spam in the queue ready to be balanced.

It's not an enjoyable experience at the moment... and all the 'be a hero' tourney did was mask these imbalances until after the event simply because people were dropping solo. Now 4 man's are stomping (which elo was meant to prevent), PGI need to tweak this system on a weekly basis, 2 weeks is much too long to leave the system broken. The weekly tweaks will also ensure reaching the optimum parameters in a faster timeframe so that people can actually look forward to drops.

#2 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

I totally disagree. The matches are better and more intense than ever. It's harder to do well individually now, but that is because the opponents are just as good as you (if not a little better).

#3 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

ECM is not that OP anymore and your wrong, a ba raven 3L pilot will get his face stomped easily.. I've killed them in my STREAK Jenner just using 4 small lasers.

#4 Adrian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hate to break it to you, but if you can't break out of the 1,300 mark, it's probably your own fault.

I agree that weight classes need to be tightened. I also think assault mechs are too prevalent on the field, and there should be game features that push players towards lower tonnages as opposed to the current opposite influence.

While I think the current implementation of ECM was the most laughable design decision I have seen to date (particularly with more ECM being its only hard counter), I feel like ECM has been the least heinous to date in its ability to influence matches with the PPC EMP effects (and the lengthening of TAG).

The devs know the 3L is broken. Bad netcode and/or wonky hitboxes compound the ECM+Streaks debacle.

#5 Barnaby Jones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 434 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostAshnod, on 01 March 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

ECM is not that OP anymore and your wrong, a ba raven 3L pilot will get his face stomped easily.. I've killed them in my STREAK Jenner just using 4 small lasers.

http://cloud-2.steam...78CC471608B707/

#6 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostBarnaby Jones, on 01 March 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

And who's fault it is nobody defended the base?

As a pilot who uses only direct fire weapons (beams and bullets for the win) I don't find ECM to be much of a game breaker. Sure that Atlas DDC might get the drop on me, but I'm fast enough to run away.

#7 Barnaby Jones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 434 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostRanek Blackstone, on 01 March 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

And who's fault it is nobody defended the base?

As a pilot who uses only direct fire weapons (beams and bullets for the win) I don't find ECM to be much of a game breaker. Sure that Atlas DDC might get the drop on me, but I'm fast enough to run away.

Do you know how fast a cap goes down with 4 cap modded lights...
Do you recognize this occured in 3 mins total match time...
Do you recognize this is 7 ecm vs 0...
Do you recognize this is assault...

Are you just an ECM fanboy?

Edited by Barnaby Jones, 01 March 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#8 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Yeah, to be honest, I've never really understood all the crying about ECM. I don't carry streaks or LRMs, so ECM doesn't mean a damn thing to me. Lasers, SRMs, and ballistics wreck ECM mechs just as well as non-ECM mechs.

Really, what is the issue with ECM?

#9 Velba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 414 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA, USA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostBarnaby Jones, on 01 March 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Do you recognize, that is 7 ecm vs 0...

The fact that players are cheese building is always going to be the case with auto match making. /sigh
A server browser would help, if you join and you see a bunch of cheese, leave. BUT WE CAN'T HAVE THAT NOOOOO.

#10 Barnaby Jones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 434 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostVelba, on 01 March 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

The fact that players are cheese building is always going to be the case with auto match making. /sigh
A server browser would help, if you join and you see a bunch of cheese, leave. BUT WE CAN'T HAVE THAT NOOOOO.

LEARN TO READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD>>>>

#11 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

I don't know how so many of you are getting ****** matches. I get much better matches, even when there's nearly a 2:1 tonnage ratio.

Sometimes you get 4-manned. Sometimes you get 8-manned (>_< Luna Wolves). Still, 8-0 rolls are the exception as opposed to the rule after they implemented Phase 3. And ECM will get fixed eventually. Just don't hold your breath in the mean time.

#12 Velba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 414 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA, USA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostBarnaby Jones, on 01 March 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

LEARN TO READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD>>>>

I did read the thread, what was wrong with my post?

#13 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

1) how do you know you're in the new player 1300 range? oh right you don't. we all know the more games you play the more accurate your elo score, and because they're going by team averages it'll take more games than if everyone dropped 1v1. but it'll get there

2) so? being outtonned hardly means being underpowered, so given comparable player ability (see above) the fact that you have 1 assault and they have 4 actually means fairly little. and in my experience the lighter team wins more often than not

3) well, won't argue with the fact that ecm is broken right now, but a bad player in a 3L gets murdered same as a bad player in a ddc or a bad player in a splatcat or poptart. though i guess if you're dropping against them in the current matchmaker you're not much better than they are, and thus don't murder them as easily

#14 mekabuser

• Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

this issue with ecm is primarily driven from the fact that everyone who ran ssrms to death couldnt anymore. Its not ideal, but it certainly isnt an issue.. Hell , i LIKE seeing ecm on the opposition... guess who gets targeted ad nauseam by yours truly with my trusty erppc or two. Nothing better than disrupting ecm on an atlas and then watching it rain destruction..
I feel its my role as a team mate to ID ecm mechs, and disrupt them so at least my buds can see em on their radar for a moment.
elo.. working fine for me.. even too good.. I know im going up .. winning more games than ever before, by a large margin.

#15 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

New game mode is as follows...... play 4 assault or 4 lights with ECM = +20-30% chance of winning (if not more).

Best team combination is 4 assaults and 4 lights.

#16 Severus Baggins Kerensky

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostBarnaby Jones, on 01 March 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Do you recognize this is 7 ecm vs 0...

Yeah guys let's nerf ECM since it's so easy to backcap with Ravens. I think the fact that they couldn't wipe out the other team means that ECM doesn't do anything except make it easy to backcap. Then it's a problem with base capture, not ECM. Even if ECM is gone and we're back to Jenner D days, you will still get backcapped since THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.

This is like complaining girls don't like you because you stink like rotting garbage so the solution is REMOVE GIRLS' SENSE OF SMELL.

If you hate getting backcapped so much, stop playing Assault. Or scout the enemy before you move out. Oh, too logical?

#17 Shazarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 525 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostBarnaby Jones, on 01 March 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

Wow what the fresh hell is this? I have seen way too many screenies of people having matches like that

View PostSeverus Baggins Kerensky, on 01 March 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Yeah guys let's nerf ECM since it's so easy to backcap with Ravens. I think the fact that they couldn't wipe out the other team means that ECM doesn't do anything except make it easy to backcap. Then it's a problem with base capture, not ECM. Even if ECM is gone and we're back to Jenner D days, you will still get backcapped since THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.

This is like complaining girls don't like you because you stink like rotting garbage so the solution is REMOVE GIRLS' SENSE OF SMELL.

If you hate getting backcapped so much, stop playing Assault. Or scout the enemy before you move out. Oh, too logical?

Ok MLGPro, lets see how you would do in that situation against 7 ECM mechs and a double premade on the enemy team? I don't think you're smoking enough weed everyday, get on my level bruh.

#18 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Elo balances matches basted on weight and statistical performance.

Performance statistics come from data over time.

Data over time requires... You guessed it... Time.

In a few weeks, the data system will be populated, and matches will start to become more even. Right now, the system is still being populated by data, and will even out as time progresses. Finding even matches and playing with comparably skilled players requires you to continue playing, not cry and hide until you think the coast is clear.

If you quit and come back later, you will hurt your gameplay experience, not fix it.

Edited by TheFlyingScotsman, 01 March 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#19 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostShazarad, on 01 March 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Wow what the fresh hell is this? I have seen way too many screenies of people having matches like that

Ok MLGPro, lets see how you would do in that situation against 7 ECM mechs and a double premade on the enemy team? I don't think you're smoking enough weed everyday, get on my level bruh.

Easy: one person out of the 8 on that team, sees the cave rush. Team craps all over the ravens where they can't run and focuses the atlases as they try to leave the cave.

Or you know, **** ourselves like children in fear and then post on the forums about where the evil ECM touched you.

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

The problem isnt the ELO or the matchmaker.

The problem is the gamemodes that favor the team with the most light mechs. All this capture the base crap needs to get thrown out in favor of a gamemode which allows all weight classes to perform equally well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users