Base Capping

24 replies to this topic

Poll: do you agree (64 member(s) have cast votes)

prohibit base capping until 1/3 of combatants have fallen

1. yes (29 votes [45.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.31%

2. no (35 votes [54.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Abledime

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

I have now been in too many matches where a pilot with a light Meck runs off and caps the base before a shot has been fired in anger.

This is obviously boring as I play assault to test my skills as a pilot not who has the fastest Meck

therefor I propose a system where at least 1/3 of pilots need to have fallen before base capping becomes active.

this would bring back combat back and base snipping would be pushed back to the later part of the match where it should be.

Edited by Abledime, 19 March 2013 - 12:17 AM.

#2 Vincent Lynch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

View PostAbledime, on 19 March 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

play assault to test my skills as a pilot.

you kidding, right?

#3 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

FFS... stay on base and blow the **** out of them.

If you have to wait till 1/3rd are killed base cap will never happen. EVER.....use some dam tactics, keep an eye on your base and if everyone is that slow dont go charging down the middle

#4 MrStark

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

We just need a straight up deathmatch mode.

#5 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostMrStark, on 21 March 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

And when the last mech on the enemy team runs and hides on alpine or tourmaline?

#6 EODGunner

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

I agree with this fix. So many times no one has died, and we missed eachother because we went around the center point attempting to outflank the other (and suceeding amazingly!) but only to be out capped because we have a slower mech, or an sniper/LRM guy who has less armor hanging back a little bit, or they have one more light mech, or they have a cap accelerator. I agree to this, but I would put a time limit on it, and a voice..... like a 5 minute timer and a voice "Base is now vulnerable to capture"

Just my thoughts and 3 cents

#7 Donas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 416 posts
  • Locationon yet another world looking for a Bar and Grill

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Actually, what will happen is someone with a raven or a commando will park in the enemy base, power down, and once both teams are heavily embroiled in the inevitable middle-map brawl, the cap will start counting down with even LESS opportunity to break away and stop them.

Solution is to add another game mode with no capping. All of these ideas about 'how many people need to be dead before capping starts' are only setting themselves up for an even more infuriating cap event.

Edited by Donas, 22 March 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#8 darkezero

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

I find a few seconds of capping near the beginning to be a usually effective tactic of drawing one or more mechs from the frontline, so I'd have to say that this would eliminate a tactic or two and thusly I cannot support it

#9 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

I have now been in too many matches where a pilot with a light Meck runs off and caps the base before a shot has been fired in anger.

What the [REDACTED] is a "Meck?"

And yes, this tactic happens often to players who can't figure out the heady logic of defending their base.

These people should stop QQing and play some Deathmatch-focused game that suits their "Kill all enemy, only goal, hurrr" mentality.

View PostMrStark, on 21 March 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Yep. With no timers- because just like base capping, match timers are just a crutch for people who can't use their "mad skillz" to wipe out all the enemies.

Bring on the delicious tears of all the strutting "Deatchmatch Gods" who can't finish a match in 3 hours for trying to chase down that one pesky Raven. :)

#10 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Whilst this isn't a perfect solution (it's artificial) it is well intended and may provide a temporary answer to this problem. I do tend to go along with Firewuff's sentiments though and am a great advocate of defending bases. Again, (Too many thread entries to count now) another way of making it harder to cap, especially in light units, is to arm the refinery's or bases. It wouldn't take much, it could simply be an active minefield around the base; own forces could close to the base using an IFF system.

#11 PaladinXIII

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

I don't believe that killing 1/3 of the enemy team will fix assault; the moment the quota is met, the faster mechs will leave the battle to go cap, the only thing this prevents is capping at the get go. I do think the assualt needs to be fixed and that capping should still be viable, but certain parameters have to be met. For instance how many of you have been on a team that has wiped out the entire team minus one badly damage light or medium, you still have 4 or 6 or even the full team still alive only to have the one badly damaged mech cap to win. To me that makes as much sense as a one-armed robber walking into a police station and declaring everyone a hostage.

At the same time there have been great matches where teams have held against the other team who is pressing the offensive, only to hear that their base is being captured, stopping theif offense as they have to send some mechs back to defend, making them lose the iniative.

This game is suppose to be about tactics so I understand base capping as an option but something needs to be in place to prevent from being the only thing practiced.

#12 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

i put yes only cause i feel SOMETHING needs to lmit it.

Peronsaly id be just fine with doubling the time it takes to capture or making it so bases cant be capped in the first 2-3 minutes.

#13 Shinikaru

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Been saying this for a while now...Make Caps in Assault worth ZERO MONEY. Seriously people will cease doing it unless they are trolling matches.

Think about it from a personal perspective: Would any of you start up an Assault match, and run straight to cap, with every intention of not fighting, if you know that in-game, you get absolutely Nothing for it?

Edited by Shinikaru, 02 April 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#14 AdonaiOfury

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

I like how base capping currently works. Each game plays out differently according to mechs on field. To me it makes more sense to either take out base capping or leave it in. Other solutions cause new/different problems. Maybe one mech on the field could assume the role as commander whether being assigned or voluntary. That changes the dynamics and strategy of the game as a team so players don't just go off and kill closest target. I'm saying make the role of a commander more important.

#15 darthJaeger

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 67 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

I reakon you should not be able to enter the enemy base (red laser boundary) until there is five minutes left in the match.
At that point the base capture option becomes active.

#16 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Two words: BASE DEFENSES.

#17 Zedaraaz

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

Slap some turrets around the flags, which are there until 1/3 of the team is down, make those turrets destructible so the lights/fast mechs that get there can attempt to take them down before 1/3 of the team left is reached.

Little bit of a compromise to your original suggestion but it would keep some fun in the game for those faster mechs.

#18 Milt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

perhaps change it to accelerate with the difference in numbers. if you are losing it would take longer to cap and if you are winning it would cap faster.

#19 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

I don't know about people that think base capping from the get is somehow skillful or tatical, which its not, its just moving and then sitting there. I think it takes much more skill and tactics to engage the other team and win, which also gives a better reward. I'm not saying capping doesn't have its place, as if my team is starting to loose i will go to a cap. I'll even run to a cap to distract having no intention of taking it all because it doesn't gain me anything, and is quite boring. If you think running to the other end of the map and then stopping, without fireing a shot or being fired at and reciving very little reward is enjoyable, there is something wrong with you and should probably choose a different game. We have a mode for capping, the only reason there are caps in assult is for a mechanic to stop game stagnation. Also if a mech wants to sit, powered down on a cap till 1/3 of the mechs are gone, it will probably be its team that it's not helping. Capping off the bat isn't skillful or tactical in anyway compaired to engaging the enemy.

I feel the same way when in conquest, players ignore the caps and just try to eliminate the other team, what is the point of the conquest then? Just assulting in conquest is dumb, as is just capping in assult is dumb.

#20 l4Dl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

This is obviously boring as I play assault to test my skills as a pilot not who has the fastest Meck

therefor I propose a system where at least 1/3 of pilots need to have fallen before base capping becomes active.

this would bring back combat back and base snipping would be pushed back to the later part of the match where it should be.

Or, the addition of a "Team Deathmatch gamemode" would be better?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users