P2W, Slow Progression, Insane Prices For Mc.... Are They Trying To Drive Off Players?

98 replies to this topic

#21 benth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 06 March 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

There are legit problems with this game. It's OK to love MWO, but when you refuse to recognize and address it's many flaws you are hurting it more than helping it.

This has plagued the game since it began.

You're right, there are many things missing that are standard now. In-game VOIP and voice commands are a must, but people here will simply tell you to download teamspeak and to stop being entitled.

It's madness and it will kill the game in the end.

#22 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

I think they need to make kills worth a bit more for a start. 5000 c-bills for smashing an Atlas? Seems a tad on the tight side.

Also when selling stuff I feel like I am getting ripped off. My Raven is worth LESS than I bought it for even though it's been upgraded massively (bigger engine, more heat sinks, BAP, Endo, Ferro etc). Hell, it's worth LESS than some weapons and Engines... for a whole Mech.

Just seems like the pricing and rewards are pushing me to buy MC. I hate that. If I were being encouraged to play and progress and then MC was being presented as something on the side that I might find useful I would probably buy it. As it is I am not spending real cash just to progress faster. That's dumb and not fun.

#23 Oni Ralas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Fine - PGI should just switch to a subscription model. That way everyone would just shut the **** up right?

:lol:

#24 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

also IB4L

#25 benth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostNoth, on 06 March 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

You pay for paint because PGI has to pull a profit without going completely pay to win.

You should had been able to buy and completely outfit a Cat C4 after 25 games. Seriously, this seems more user error than the game not having the issues you claim it to have.

I agree, cosmetics should be bought with real money.

However, this game is complicated and severely lacks tutorials. This can harm new players in many ways.

1. They don't know how to play. This hampers their income and fun because there simply isn't anything to teach them.
2. They don't know what mechs to buy. Most are bad. Very bad. A single mistake like that and it's hours grinding to rectify. Then they make a mistake again because they're new. Then they leave.
3. They see the cash price of mechs and laugh. A mech for the price of a videogame on steam? They laugh and then they leave.

We shouldn't hold MWO to the poor standard of bad F2P games.

Edited by benth, 06 March 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#26 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostPublic Brutality, on 06 March 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Are they TRYING to discourage new players from joining MWO???? I payed 15 ******* dollars for the X-5, the price for MC is too damn high.... At this point, Hawken has better graphics, smoother game play, cheaper P2W (i know its bad but its a lesser evil) and a hell of a lot less bugs (ECM raven hit boxes anybody?)

They need to make this game more friendly to beginning players in the sense that it takes for ******* ever to earn C bills (even with a hero mech) and not pilot a POS trial mech...

I also cant wait to see how bad they screw up Jager, because after they ruin that for me, I think I might call it quits...

Just my rant, anybody else agree?

Sorry but I don't agree. I do understand that the trial mechs can be a bit annoying sometimes. Some are alright and some are plain crap. However, I don't think its fair to expect to play 10 games and have enough money to buy an atlas. Its a hell of a lot easier to get Cbills with the cadet bonus than it was when I started playing the game back in early dec. I still made it through. It seems to me that the more people get, the more they want. Would you prefer that you get all the mechs for free upon signing up ?

I've never understood why PGI choose to make the game the way they did and really its too late to change it. It is what it is. Though one thing in this game that is exactly like any other game, you have to play the game to get more stuff. It shouldn't be an hour of playing to get 3 assault mechs. It should take a long while to get that much money.

#27 HighPoint

• Pip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostNoth, on 06 March 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

You should have been able to buy and completely outfit a Cat C4 after 25 games. Seriously, this seems more user error than the game not having the issues you claim it to have.

IDK what happened, but i never got a 8 Million C bill bonus, never got a message about the recruit program, never got a message saying ive left it or anything... I have been playing since late January, but really started playing hard in mid February and have played far more than 25 games.... no 8 Million C bills to speak of..... With my luck, I probably slipped through the non existent crack.

#28 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

View Postbenth, on 06 March 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

You're right, there are many things missing that are standard now. In-game VOIP and voice commands are a must, but people here will simply tell you to download teamspeak and to stop being entitled.

"Back when I played Marathon there was no VoIP and we did just fine!"

Uphill both ways through the snow and all that. I wonder if these people realize they're walking parodies.

I don't understand the mentality at all. How someone who has invested $120 in this game can defend it for lacking the basic functionality of every single other multiplayer game for the past decade baffles me.

#29 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

View Postbenth, on 06 March 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I agree, cosmetics should be bought with real money.

However, this game is complicated and severely lacks tutorials. This can harm new players in many ways.

1. They don't know how to play. This hampers their income and fun because there simply isn't anything to teach them.
2. They don't know what mechs to buy. Most are bad. Very bad. A single mistake like that and it's hours grinding to rectify. Then they make a mistake again because they're new. Then they leave.
3. They see the cash price of mechs and laugh. A mech for the price of videogame on steam? They laugh and then they leave.

We shouldn't hold MWO to the poor standard of bad F2P games.

I see no one claiming that the beginning play experience couldn't be better. I see people disputing things such as not getting very many cbills as a new player and being stuck in trials (which just doesn't happen now with the cadet bonus. I also seem some claim the mc cost in on par with the other most successful games with this model (as long as people pay them they will not change, and pay pay them, a lot of people).

The, buying the wrong mech issue is something that will never ever go away as the tutorial cannot be updated every time the meta changes or a new way to play a mech makes it good. The only way for a new player not to fall into the trap is to do a bit of research before they buy.

#30 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

You feel the prices are too high so you... go and buy a hero mech? Really? You sure showed them OP.

Edited by jakucha, 06 March 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#31 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostPublic Brutality, on 06 March 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

IDK what happened, but i never got a 8 Million C bill bonus, never got a message about the recruit program, never got a message saying ive left it or anything... I have been playing since late January, but really started playing hard in mid February and have played far more than 25 games.... no 8 Million C bills to speak of..... With my luck, I probably slipped through the non existent crack.

You would not have seen a lump sum bonus. The lump sum was only for those that had already played their first 25 games.
New players get that equivalent as small bonus payments spread out over 25 games.

Hadn't you noticed you weren't earning as much after 25 games had gone by?

#32 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostSable Dove, on 06 March 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

And people like you are the reason the prices are too high. Stop paying outrageous prices, and maybe, just maybe, they'll learn to not grossly overprice their items. As long as people are dumb enough to pay for obviously overpriced things, they will continue to charge way too much. Stop it.

Gonna have to disagree. Aside from the fact that it took two days after installing and registering to even get to play the game, Hawken looks no better, plays like ***, and has an even smaller community than MWO.

^^ This

People complained about the cost of paint/patterns and I expect that PGI did not get too many people buying them. So they reduced the price of the paints, made them 1 time purchases and changed the way the patterns worked as well. They DO listen, and they will read the posts on the forums.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that they do not care. They are quite busy, probably looking at other ways to implement the consumables in a fashion that will allow them to maximize their profits while keeping the maximum number of people happy. They WILL NOT MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY. That is a fact of life, no matter what they do someone (or several someones) are going to be mad and will quit. They can not base their business decisions on keeping everyone happy, that is a sure way to make the entire business collapse.

They will get back to us after they have time to work out a plan. They might take a while to do it. They will most likely not tell us much untill they come to a decision. The lack of communication is not something to stress over. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

#33 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

P2W, high prices and slow progression is the industry standard, it's what makes the most corn.

Don't expect much different that something like tanks.

#34 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostImperial X, on 06 March 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Sorry but I don't agree. I do understand that the trial mechs can be a bit annoying sometimes. Some are alright and some are plain crap. However, I don't think its fair to expect to play 10 games and have enough money to buy an atlas. Its a hell of a lot easier to get Cbills with the cadet bonus than it was when I started playing the game back in early dec. I still made it through. It seems to me that the more people get, the more they want. Would you prefer that you get all the mechs for free upon signing up ?

I've never understood why PGI choose to make the game the way they did and really its too late to change it. It is what it is. Though one thing in this game that is exactly like any other game, you have to play the game to get more stuff. It shouldn't be an hour of playing to get 3 assault mechs. It should take a long while to get that much money.

But it isn't too late to change. They could easily make the trial mech system better. They could implement tutorials and in-game explanations for the mechanics of the game instead of linking to videos and forum threads.

Look at what you are settling for and defending. "Sure it's broken and it sucks but WELP."

Go hop in the trial Dragon or Stalker. Tell me it's an enjoyable experience. Tell me a new player will definitely understand why they are losing so hard and why everyone else's mech seems so much better.

#35 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostNoth, on 06 March 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

I see no one claiming that the beginning play experience couldn't be better. I see people disputing things such as not getting very many cbills as a new player and being stuck in trials (which just doesn't happen now with the cadet bonus. I also seem some claim the mc cost in on par with the other most successful games with this model (as long as people pay them they will not change, and pay pay them, a lot of people).

The, buying the wrong mech issue is something that will never ever go away as the tutorial cannot be updated every time the meta changes or a new way to play a mech makes it good. The only way for a new player not to fall into the trap is to do a bit of research before they buy.

There really are no wrong mechs. Sure some are inherently better than others( Hunch 4SP for example) but that doesn't make the other mechs bad. I have yet to buy a mech that I couldn't play. I currently own almost every single medium mech. The exceptions are 2 cicadas and 2 hunchbacks. (4P and 4H). There is not a single medium yet that I considered selling. I think there are harder mechs to play than others but none so bad I would sell them or feel I was tricked into buying some POS. I think its more of a skill thing than a wrong choice.

Edited by Imperial X, 06 March 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#36 HighPoint

• Pip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostNauht, on 06 March 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

You would not have seen a lump sum bonus. The lump sum was only for those that had already played their first 25 games.
New players get that equivalent as small bonus payments spread out over 25 games.

Hadn't you noticed you weren't earning as much after 25 games had gone by?

nope.... judging by the fact that I just now have enough to slap on quad AC5's on my cata w/ endo

#37 Rasako

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

View Postbenth, on 06 March 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

This has plagued the game since it began.

It's madness and it will kill the game in the end.

if this were true then how does league of legends have the largest playerbase in the entire world yet has no in game voice communication?

#38 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 06 March 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

But it isn't too late to change. They could easily make the trial mech system better. They could implement tutorials and in-game explanations for the mechanics of the game instead of linking to videos and forum threads.

Look at what you are settling for and defending. "Sure it's broken and it sucks but WELP."

Go hop in the trial Dragon or Stalker. Tell me it's an enjoyable experience. Tell me a new player will definitely understand why they are losing so hard and why everyone else's mech seems so much better.

I should have been more specific in what I meant I supposed. I wasn't talking about the trial system really when I said that. Your right though, they could definately make the trial system better.

What I meant was, they way you buy each mech. For instance, a stock Awesome 8Q is only an awesome 8Q because of the stock setup. If you change that stock setup, it is no longer an Awesome 8Q. It a different mech altogether. They should have had one Awesome where you could somehow choose what you wanted to put on that mech. For instance you get say 10 points to place weapons. PPCs, Gauss, AC20s, SRM6s and LRM20 take 3 points. Large lasers and AC10s take 2 points and so one. You can place them where you want but still keep the slot system they currently have. Have the mechs cost the same money and have weapons and ammo cost more money. This is just something I've been thinking would have been a better path for this game but I'm not a dev so maybe it really wouldn't be a better way.

#39 HighPoint

• Pip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostRasako, on 06 March 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

if this were true then how does league of legends have the largest playerbase in the entire world yet has no in game voice communication?

because they have a sophisticated ping system. in LoL you dont need voip unless you are playing ranked IMO (talking to a level 30 solo top player) once you get the hang of LoL you know the game... this however has such a steeper learning curve and they do NOTHING to help you. not to mention the only way to communicate in pug games is frantically type which most people dont read

#40 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Insane Prices For Mc

ha.

P2W

HAHAHA

Slow Progression

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHRHRHROHGODICANTBREATHEHELPME *choke*

Edited by J4ckInthebox, 06 March 2013 - 02:58 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users