P2W, Slow Progression, Insane Prices For Mc.... Are They Trying To Drive Off Players?

98 replies to this topic

#41 Lyrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 568 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

View Postbenth, on 06 March 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I agree, cosmetics should be bought with real money.

However, this game is complicated and severely lacks tutorials. This can harm new players in many ways.

1. They don't know how to play. This hampers their income and fun because there simply isn't anything to teach them.
2. They don't know what mechs to buy. Most are bad. Very bad. A single mistake like that and it's hours grinding to rectify. Then they make a mistake again because they're new. Then they leave.
3. They see the cash price of mechs and laugh. A mech for the price of a videogame on steam? They laugh and then they leave.

We shouldn't hold MWO to the poor standard of bad F2P games.

1) So are EveOnline, Civilization, the X serie ... oh and Dark Soul. MWO is a piececake compared to these games.
2) There aren't bad mechs at low ELO.
3) They are really expensive. But there is one problem; They are still getting bought. It is like in StarTrekOnline. The ships there cost 20-50$ And still there are a lot of the P2W ships. And the people are complaining there aren't enough of them ingame -.- It's like the collectors have to much money. It's really crazy what people are doing to get some digital goodies -.-

#42 Karr285

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 445 posts
  • LocationAB, CAN

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

If the MC prices seem high to you, maybe they are, but at the same time they stop everybody from spending $30 and owning every single mech and then complain that they have 50,000,000 cbills and nothing to spend it on and the game has nothing to offer.

#43 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Drop with a group, comunicate and focus fire....you will see the money roll in.

#44 HighPoint

• Pip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

@J4ack, yeah yeah, i just became a forum member... i realize people have been bitching about this for a while

#45 VladoG

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

I feel like 1 mech per month is really not enough unless they are planning to release huge amount of undocummented mechsa soon like implement Clans or some working community warfare this game will slowly fade away. i don't understand why it takes a month to release one stupid mech. They should have been pros at this by now. I guess we would have 1000000 camo's and 20 Mechs... I would pretty much like it other way around.

#46 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostPublic Brutality, on 06 March 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

because they have a sophisticated ping system. in LoL you dont need voip unless you are playing ranked IMO (talking to a level 30 solo top player) once you get the hang of LoL you know the game... this however has such a steeper learning curve and they do NOTHING to help you. not to mention the only way to communicate in pug games is frantically type which most people dont read

LoL only recently got a sophisticated ping system. In the beginning and up till recently pings were all the same and only ping patterns were different. New players had no clue what the ping patterns meant and even some more veteran players didn't. Pings were often done along with short hand statements such as "Top MIA."

All of those took time to develop. Even now you are seeing shorthand being developed in this game.

#47 HighPoint

• Pip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

View PostKibble, on 06 March 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

Drop with a group, comunicate and focus fire....you will see the money roll in.

I'd love to drop with a group, problem is, the people i started playing with were like **** this i quit, and nobody will accept my FR's =( is there a thread for random groups?

#48 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostPublic Brutality, on 06 March 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

I'd love to drop with a group, problem is, the people i started playing with were like **** this i quit, and nobody will accept my FR's =( is there a thread for random groups?

There are three public TS servers for groups.

They are burried down in the community portal now....or hit the hiring hall and join a unit, not all of them require a hard and fast commitment.

#49 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostNoth, on 06 March 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Prices on on par with the most successful f2p games of this kind.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL?

You cannot be serious?

Pretty baby costs 30 dollars. Thirty ******* dollars. I'm very glad that people are enjoying their use (though I understand the arguments of P2W), but that is insanity. Someone at PGI should hire some dudes from analysis group or something, because I'd wager that this is not the profit maximizing price.

A massive re-skin with new VA, new effects, new animations etc for a league of legends hero costs in the neighborhood of $13. I think that's actually a generous comparison given how much pretty baby stands out with other awesomes compared to how much premium hero skins in League stand out, but whatever. They are both the top end of expense in their respective games. That means that stuff in league costs about a third what it does here. Even in Battlefield, stuff costs in the $5-$10 range when it isn't on sale (and it frequently is). Or Team Fortress, where gameplay stuff costs in the neighborhood of $3-$10.

Cut any way, these prices are NOT competitive. Which is totally dumb, because mech bays seem fairly reasonable at 300 MC (about $1.50).

Anyway, if they weren't in space bucks and they hadn't made that founders appeal, it is very likely that the hero mechs would not be selling. I have said this ten times before and I'll say it ten times again, but it is significantly cheaper to purchase the brand new tomb raider game on steam than it is to buy Ilya and Pretty Baby.

Edited by Noobzorz, 06 March 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#50 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostNoobzorz, on 06 March 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

[/size]

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL?

You cannot be serious?

Pretty baby costs 30 dollars. Thirty ******* dollars. I'm very glad that people are enjoying their use (though I understand the arguments of P2W), but that is insanity. Someone at PGI should hire some dudes from analysis group or something, because I'd wager that this is not the profit maximizing price.

A massive re-skin with new VA, new effects, new animations etc for a league of legends hero (which, by the way, comes with the hero unlock) costs in the neighborhood of $13. I think that's actually a generous comparison given how much pretty baby stands out with other awesomes compared to how much premium hero skins in League stand out, but whatever. They are both the top end of expense in their respective games. That means that stuff in league costs about a third what it does here. Even in Battlefield, stuff costs in the $5-$10 range when it isn't on sale (and it frequently is). Or Team Fortress, where gameplay stuff costs in the neighborhood of $3-$10.

Cut any way, these prices are NOT competitive. Which is totally dumb, because mech bays seem fairly reasonable at 300 MC (about $1.50).

Anyway, if they weren't in space bucks and they hadn't made that founders appeal, it is very likely that the hero mechs would not be selling. I have said this ten times before and I'll say it ten times again, but it is significantly cheaper to purchase the brand new tomb raider game on steam than it is to buy Ilya and Pretty Baby.

WoT

#51 BAD WD40

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 06 March 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

The new player experience is a lot better than it used to be but still has a long way to go.

- no tutorial
- poor explanations of mechanics (heat, locks, overrides, XP trees, equipment functions, upgrades like Ferro, ect)
- trial mechs still more often than not mobile coffins
- NO IN-GAME VOICE COMS (STILL)

It's tough for new players, just a fact. The better the new player experience, the more retention and possible paying costumers PGI would have. Cadet bonus was a good start, but they're crazy for not getting on the stick about it.

And I agree MC prices are far too high. I'd buy every hero mech if they were between 500-1000 MC. Especially if they came with a bay (which is so obvious it hurts)

There are legit problems with this game. It's OK to love MWO, but when you refuse to recognize and address it's many flaws you are hurting it more than helping it.

Agree, the early Mech Warrior games had great tutorials, but this is still Beta!
At least PGi have given us this great game and forum so that we can voice our opinion and hopefully constantly improve an evolving game.
This has the makings of a fantastic game. :lol:

However, PGI please do listen ! Dont let the rich kids just play this game!

1: We all want an easy in game comms. (as long as it does not kill the band width)
2: We would like to choose are own maps to play. :wub:
3: Heres an idea :excl: , why not have at least two squads leaders, each squad leader is under the commander like in Battlefield 2. (although you can have more squads in BF2) You could give the squad leaders more GXP for following orders and getting there squad to follow them and in turn the squad get GXP for obeying? just a though.
Battlefield 2 was a fabulous tactile game that had commanders like MWO , but with squads. Each squad leader could talk to there commander and request supplies artillery etc. If your going for large maps we need more to do and more in game play.
4: Why not have repair Mechs? I know there will be die hard old timers out there who say that this takes it away from the old Mech Path but this 2013 and we need more to get the grey matter working otherwise we fall asleep!

Keep it up and dont make it a rich kids game else im another that will say bye! :wacko:

#52 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostNoobzorz, on 06 March 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

[/size]

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL?

You cannot be serious?

Pretty baby costs 30 dollars. Thirty ******* dollars.

A massive re-skin with new VA, new effects, new animations etc for a league of legends hero (which, by the way, comes with the hero unlock) costs in the neighborhood of $13. I think that's actually a generous comparison given how much pretty baby stands out with other awesomes compared to how much premium hero skins in League stand out, but whatever. They are both the top end of expense in their respective games. That means that stuff in league costs about a third what it does here. Even in Battlefield, stuff costs in the $5-$10 range when it isn't on sale (and it frequently is). Or Team Fortress, where gameplay stuff costs in the neighborhood of $3-$10.

Look At WoT. It has tanks going for 50 bucks a pop and people buy them in droves. Heck they took some out of the store and people have been crying to have them put back in so they can buy them. Also the legendary skins for LoL are closer to 20 bucks (that is pretty dang close to most of the costs of the hero mechs).

I've gotten more gameplay out of my YLW than i did out of most full price games. Again, people look at upfront value instead of the value over time. My YLW has been a much better investment because it continues to help me make cash as long as I play the game. The new Tomb Raider held my attention for about 10 hours at best. If you look at it like that, teh prices are not bad at all.

#53 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

THe fact its still beta should give them some Leeway, I realy hope prices drop ALOT when game goes live frankly i think $5 a mech is way to much especialy with more cash for the bay, $1 per is fine to me save the $5 for the heros if you want, i know people have flamed me for saying $1 and they think PGI would go out of buisness but how many of us would probably buy EVERY mech (or at least ALOT of them) if they were only a $1 even if it took a few months to bother to do? and of those people how many wouldnt buy a mech at the prices they are now ever?

and lets face it when they get rolling along its not like they will have a hard time making mechs to sell.

i dunno im old fashioned i guess, i still always compare games to the $50-$60 price point, im fine with free to play as long as if i spent $50-$60 im going to get almost everything in the game that makes a differnce. To better explain if im spending $50-$60 on this i better get what i would get for any mechwarrior game at $50-$60, Which is 20+ mechs and their loadouts, about a dozen maps and a few game modes. You make new mechs/maps ill buy them individualy if priced right or when you get another games worth ill pay another $50-$60. Dont want anyone to go out of buisness but dont try and rip me off either.

#54 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 06 March 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

I have.

You haven't either.

#55 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostNoth, on 06 March 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Look At WoT. It has tanks going for 50 bucks a pop and people buy them in droves. Heck they took some out of the store and people have been crying to have them put back in so they can buy them. Also the legendary skins for LoL are closer to 20 bucks (that is pretty dang close to most of the costs of the hero mechs).

I've gotten more gameplay out of my YLW than i did out of most full price games. Again, people look at upfront value instead of the value over time. My YLW has been a much better investment because it continues to help me make cash as long as I play the game. The new Tomb Raider held my attention for about 10 hours at best. If you look at it like that, teh prices are not bad at all.

Just because there are idiots willing ot pay $50 FOR ONE DAMN TANK doesnt mean its right or a smart thing to do. Also until starting this game i had never HEARD of world of tanks and while looking it up it SAYS it has a 45million player base, i highly doubt many of them are dropping $50 on one tank

#56 benth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 06 March 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

Just because there are idiots willing ot pay $50 FOR ONE DAMN TANK doesnt mean its right or a smart thing to do. Also until starting this game i had never HEARD of world of tanks and while looking it up it SAYS it has a 45million player base, i highly doubt many of them are dropping $50 on one tank

To add to this, MWO will not steal WoT's audience. They're playing WoT.

Despite the blatant attempts to copy WoT, MWO cannot be a clone of that game and survive. It must stand on its own.

#57 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostPh30nix, on 06 March 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

You see at least 2-3 premium tanks almost every single game you play in that. Also business isn't about doing what is right, it is about making money. You won't get them to change prices unless you can get people to stop buying them. Complaining about it does nothing and no one is going to convince consumers to stop buying it. In the end you either adapt to it or move on.

View Postbenth, on 06 March 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

To add to this, MWO will not steal WoT's audience. They're playing WoT.

Despite the blatant attempts to copy WoT, MWO cannot be a clone of that game and survive. It must stand on its own.

Doing pretty good so far with it's pricing structure that is a basic copy of WoT's

#58 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Spending money on anything other than cosmetics is Pay-to-Win. You wanna know why?

Because.

#59 Shumabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostNoth, on 06 March 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Prices on on par with the most successful f2p games of this kind.

Hawken is buggier at this point with a much smaller playerbase.

As a new player after 25 games you will have at least 9-10 million. More than enough to buy and outfit a couple mechs. They also just added the training grounds for you to test things out and figure out how to play. It is much better for new players.

You just sound like you simply won't be happy with the game no matter what.

Prices that are outrageous for a game of this kind and a population subsisting purely off of nostalgia for older games. One that is falling.

You sound like you'll be here until the day the servers turn off, whether they ever turn this into a good game or not.

#60 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostShumabot, on 06 March 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Prices that are outrageous for a game of this kind and a population subsisting purely off of nostalgia for older games. One that is falling.

You sound like you'll be here until the day the servers turn off, whether they ever turn this into a good game or not.

I'll be here till I get bored of the game. Leave, then come backa bit later, play until I get bored of the game and repeat. The game had no code written for it a little over a year ago. Most games would have 2-3 mechs and a single basic plain map for testing. This game is extremely good and far along for being so young and being made by a small company. If you expect it to have everything a game that has been out on the market for a couple years has, you really need to get your perception in line.

BTW, the prices will change if they are not pulling enough money. However, so far it all points to that they are pulling in enough money.

Edited by Noth, 06 March 2013 - 03:33 PM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users