P2W, Slow Progression, Insane Prices For Mc.... Are They Trying To Drive Off Players?

98 replies to this topic

#81 Geadron Kane

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

I love games that pummel me until I learn them. Too many titles are "new player friendly". If they continue to add content, flesh out a faction based campaign map and command system I will keep buying MC because I know these guys are pumping the money back into the game and not solely for some CEO's yacht.

Hawken has better graphics if you ignore the lack of customization. MWO has 20 mechs with hundreds of variants when you consider paint and mounts. Hawken is Mechwarrior online with ADD.

#82 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostShumabot, on 06 March 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Herp derp derp, they just introduced an un asked for version of artemis that greatly increased the damage potential of the two most powerful and abusive weapon systems in the game and legitimately broke LRMs. Last month they "fixed" SRMs causing them to do even more damage (already they are three times the next best non missile weapon for sustained dps).

Herp derp derp, THEY ARE ACTIVELY MAKING THE GAME BALANCE WORSE WITH EVERY PATCH.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Both were bug fixes, Artemis was not acting right, and neither was explosive damage. They fixed them and thus can now properly be balanced. Gotta fix something before you can balance it properly.

#83 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Supply and Demand... simple as that.

I agree that the price structure is high, and have kept my wallet closed. If the price structure on paints, for example, was more reasonable, I'd be all over that feature. At current prices, I cannot justify in my own mind paying for a cosmetic feature like that. To each their own, though. Many players have customized their Mechs, and more power to them if they were happy with their purchase.

#84 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

It's a possibility that few people will read this because they read the OP's post and run straight to the end to Reply to this topic, but I will throw my limited knowledge.

I do not know about Free2Play or Pay2Win. But clearly over the last few months, I have a pretty good grasp on the issues at work.

Free2Play games seem like they are exactly that, Free, and you play to your heart's content while grinding upwards to a wonderful model that they dangle like a carrot in front of you. Our carrot, stares at us in our computer screen every time we load the game, the almighty Atlas. We want it, and the true Free playing mechwarriors bust their butts to get that "Carrot Atlas". Yes, they know they are going up against people that threw down money, but they don't care because they WANT to play the game.

Now, Pay2Win is the concept that seemingly tends to crop up in Free games. Game designers and programmers that do animation and put in hours a day to make sure that a Centurion can rotate it's right arm properly so that forum posters can later complain about, have to eat and have shelter as well, contrary to prior belief. And they give a faster way for people to reach their dream mech by offering a short cut that makes gameplay easier for the grind. Thus, I believe they go through a licensing department for newer mechs to offer the population and come up with legitimate prices that either you will buy or scoff at. If Pretty Baby is $30, okay. It's $30 for a C-bill increase and paint job that is unique. Enjoy that. If they offer the paint job to other mechs and the same config at a later date, deal with that problem later. But right now, the hero mechs are to shake up the grind.

I am not a rich man, (in direct contradiction to the Founders tag), but I believe in Mechwarrior. I played this game as a kid and have followed it since 1995. I devoured the books, Technical readouts, and anything else I could get my hands on. Out of most of the Mechwarrior games that I have played, this game seems to have the most promise, with an attentive developers and weekly sales on MC and on mechs to offer them to people who want them. Let me make this clear, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE MECHS THAT GO ON SALE. There is nothing to prevent you from moving past the title screen unless you drop your Visa card number. If you bought the mechs and later regret, that is your own feelings. I have had days that I have gotten frustrated at the Gaggle of Ravens on the other team, and today, I put twin Ac/20 shells into 2 Ravens in one match with a busted knee and killed them. (I took a Gauss to the knee)

But my point is with the new coolant system, the devs are still working hard on establishing the system for everyone to benefit. If you don't want the new thing, let it go, and don't complain when someone forks over extra money to win. Example, you purchase a car, someone purchases the same car, but throws lots of money into the car to make it faster. If both of y'all have a race, should you with the regular car win?

The devs didn't EVEN HAVE TO TELL US. They could have slipped it into the game and just been well **** it. Then we would be ranting about the new coolant and what now.

People, can we just come together right now, since the new coolant system has yet to be implemented and just play some Mechwarrior?

#85 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 06 March 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

WoT

Using WoT as a basis for parity is as good as saying "HAHA, **** YOU USERBASE."

#86 benth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostGoldhawk, on 06 March 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

It's a possibility that few people will read this because they read the OP's post and run straight to the end to Reply to this topic, but I will throw my limited knowledge.

I do not know about Free2Play or Pay2Win. But clearly over the last few months, I have a pretty good grasp on the issues at work.

Free2Play games seem like they are exactly that, Free, and you play to your heart's content while grinding upwards to a wonderful model that they dangle like a carrot in front of you. Our carrot, stares at us in our computer screen every time we load the game, the almighty Atlas. We want it, and the true Free playing mechwarriors bust their butts to get that "Carrot Atlas". Yes, they know they are going up against people that threw down money, but they don't care because they WANT to play the game.

Now, Pay2Win is the concept that seemingly tends to crop up in Free games. Game designers and programmers that do animation and put in hours a day to make sure that a Centurion can rotate it's right arm properly so that forum posters can later complain about, have to eat and have shelter as well, contrary to prior belief. And they give a faster way for people to reach their dream mech by offering a short cut that makes gameplay easier for the grind. Thus, I believe they go through a licensing department for newer mechs to offer the population and come up with legitimate prices that either you will buy or scoff at. If Pretty Baby is $30, okay. It's $30 for a C-bill increase and paint job that is unique. Enjoy that. If they offer the paint job to other mechs and the same config at a later date, deal with that problem later. But right now, the hero mechs are to shake up the grind.

I am not a rich man, (in direct contradiction to the Founders tag), but I believe in Mechwarrior. I played this game as a kid and have followed it since 1995. I devoured the books, Technical readouts, and anything else I could get my hands on. Out of most of the Mechwarrior games that I have played, this game seems to have the most promise, with an attentive developers and weekly sales on MC and on mechs to offer them to people who want them. Let me make this clear, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE MECHS THAT GO ON SALE. There is nothing to prevent you from moving past the title screen unless you drop your Visa card number. If you bought the mechs and later regret, that is your own feelings. I have had days that I have gotten frustrated at the Gaggle of Ravens on the other team, and today, I put twin Ac/20 shells into 2 Ravens in one match with a busted knee and killed them. (I took a Gauss to the knee)

But my point is with the new coolant system, the devs are still working hard on establishing the system for everyone to benefit. If you don't want the new thing, let it go, and don't complain when someone forks over extra money to win. Example, you purchase a car, someone purchases the same car, but throws lots of money into the car to make it faster. If both of y'all have a race, should you with the regular car win?

The devs didn't EVEN HAVE TO TELL US. They could have slipped it into the game and just been well **** it. Then we would be ranting about the new coolant and what now.

People, can we just come together right now, since the new coolant system has yet to be implemented and just play some Mechwarrior?

That's a lot of text just to say you're completely fine with the game being Pay-to-Win and that we should be happy for the privilege of playing the game at all.

They went against their own word. They said it wouldn't be pay-to-win. They said they wouldn't add MC only advantages.

Laying down and accepting their bad decisions will only hurt the game in the long run. If it just becomes another worthless F2P game, it'll die.

#87 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostGoldhawk, on 06 March 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Lots more text.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

"Hey guys, it could be worse" is an awful attitude to take towards anything, always, and for a game you shelled out $100 for, you should be aghast.

#88 Kazly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

From what I have experienced, 12-20 dollars a month is not outrageous for a game. Therefore, pay 49.99 for MC, get it at a discount instead of paying 6 or 15 dollars, and do it every 3 months.

#89 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostGeadron Kane, on 06 March 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

I love games that pummel me until I learn them. Too many titles are "new player friendly". If they continue to add content, flesh out a faction based campaign map and command system I will keep buying MC because I know these guys are pumping the money back into the game and not solely for some CEO's yacht.

Hawken has better graphics if you ignore the lack of customization. MWO has 20 mechs with hundreds of variants when you consider paint and mounts. Hawken is Mechwarrior online with ADD.

Hawken is CSS in mech suits.

View Postbenth, on 06 March 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

That's a lot of text just to say you're completely fine with the game being Pay-to-Win and that we should be happy for the privilege of playing the game at all.

They went against their own word. They said it wouldn't be pay-to-win. They said they wouldn't add MC only advantages.

35% heat dump once per match via MC at the cost of 1 module slot, or 2 heat dumps via C-Bills for 2 module slots. Unless you drive a stalker, there really isn't much of a reason to get the MC version IMO. Either way, 1 heat dump per module slot, so it looks pretty balanced to me. I'm not even going to get one of these because my mech doesn't generate enough heat to make it worth the module slot to me.

#90 benth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

View PostRanek Blackstone, on 06 March 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

Hawken is CSS in mech suits.

35% heat dump once per match via MC at the cost of 1 module slot, or 2 heat dumps via C-Bills for 2 module slots. Unless you drive a stalker, there really isn't much of a reason to get the MC version IMO. Either way, 1 heat dump per module slot, so it looks pretty balanced to me. I'm not even going to get one of these because my mech doesn't generate enough heat to make it worth the module slot to me.

Posted Image

This isn't about coolant flush, or how much it cools.

This will only get worse as they add more consumables (which they have said they're going to do.)

#91 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostNoth, on 06 March 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Pugging. No one pays for repairs now. If you aren't getting a cadet bonus then something is wrong because you should be getting that unless you already had 25 games played at which point you should had gotten a flat 8 million cbills.

maybe it has to do with him not using a trial mech...that is strange though

Edited by Dr B00t, 06 March 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#92 Primetimex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

As an experienced player, I personally still find it VERY difficult to find out even what those small icons on the HUD mean (which are not explained anywhere on the help page of MWO), and yes I did many search and Google as well.

This game has an extremely steep learning curve but is rewarding once you master a bit of it.

Imagine the newb's reaction when they are tootling around the landscape, trying to get a handle of the mech and the weapon system then not long after BLAM! one-shot from an A1!

The new training ground should help alleviate and make things a bit easier for the new players though, as it allows them to try out various configs of their mechs and the effects of up/downgrading engines and test out heat management and whatnot.

#93 Selah Ward

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

PGI gave their word, and now they are dangerously close to going back on it. I also have been a Battletech and Mechwarrior fan for a long time. I'm not worried about the prices for cammo or hero Mechs because I am excited to see a company that share my passion for the BT universe. I gladly spend that kind of money to support this project. With the implementation of P2W items, I am concerned that PGI bought the IP so that they could **** it out to dedicated fans like me, not because they share my passion. I cannot and will not support that if it is the case.

#94 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

View Postbenth, on 06 March 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Laying down and accepting their bad decisions will only hurt the game in the long run. If it just becomes another worthless F2P game, it'll die.

You forgot one of my principal points. You do NOT have to purchase the short cut mechs. It is not Pay to win. If it was pay to win, you could purchase, "bribe a dev", to get a spot with the clanners. Also, with the coolant flush, you DON't have to buy it. The MC is there if you want to use it. If you don't use it, *shrug* so be it. As I recall from the dev posting, the coolant will have both C-bill and MC. So, I'll run the C-bill  spending "hard earned" time on the purchase. If I had serious cash, I would drop money on the problem, but as I recall, the devs said this is a one time purchase/usage. We will NOT, have Stalkers standing on hills cooling themselves super quick and wiping teams by themselves with the coolant. If it is, I sir, will give you a cookie and say that I was wrong.

Edited by Goldhawk, 06 March 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#95 benth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostGoldhawk, on 06 March 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

You forgot one of my principal points. You do NOT have to purchase the short cut mechs. It is not Pay to win. If it was pay to win, you could purchase, "bribe a dev", to get a spot with the clanners. Also, with the coolant flush, you DON't have to buy it. The MC is there if you want to use it. If you don't use it, *shrug* so be it. As I recall from the dev posting, the coolant will have both C-bill and MC. So, I'll run the C-bill spending "hard earned" time on the purchase. If I had serious cash, I would drop money on the problem, but as I recall, the devs said this is a one time purchase/usage. We will NOT, have Stalkers standing on hills cooling themselves super quick and wiping teams by themselves with the coolant. If it is, I sir, will give you a cookie and say that I was wrong.

I'm not sure if you've read all of the information.

The gold coolants take up one module slot and give 35% cooling. The c-bill modules take up two slots and give you a 15% and a 20% flush. With their plans going forward, this is the outcome:

Posted Image

Pay-to-win is not literally pay money and never lose, or never win if you don't pay money.

Pay-to-win is when the game offers in-game advantage for those would pay cash.

For most people Pay-to-win is unacceptable in a F2P game. They will walk away, MWO will lose its playerbase and PGI will have to pull the plug.

Edited by benth, 06 March 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#96 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostPublic Brutality, on 06 March 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Just my rant, anybody else agree?

Cool story bro ... let me know when you calm down and will listen to reason.

#97 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

[REDACTED]

Edited by Stickjock, 07 March 2013 - 11:47 AM.
insults

#98 Lyrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

View Postbenth, on 06 March 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I'm not sure if you've read all of the information.

The gold coolants take up one module slot and give 35% cooling. The c-bill modules take up two slots and give you a 15% and a 20% flush. With their plans going forward, this is the outcome:

Learn to read ( I know, it's an overpowered ability) : http://mwomercs.com/...-drawing-board/

#99 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hate to say it folks but I think this one has run it's course...

Closing this one down... *click*

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users