What I Want To Pay Money For

1 reply to this topic

#1 Mikallo

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

NOTE: this is not meant to talk about consumables (there's enough out there). This is more for "Give me more of this and I will give you more of this $$$$"

Rent-A-Mech: Try before you buy or just try something new because it's fun to change things up! 50 MC to see what it's like to run around in a Stalker to see if I'd rather own that than an Awesome. You could probably charge double to try out a clan mech. I don't play much, but I've dropped tons of quarters into arcade machines, so why not like this to freshen things up?

Scenario of the Month: This could be premium only if not enough people were paying for premium. Basically, there would be a map for the month, premium players could play it, and the top 10% of single game match scores for the month could earn a forum badge or cockpit doo-hickey. The scenario of the month could be a pre-generated map with pre-generated mechs. IE: the developers pick the mechs on both sides so it's easier to balance and you can do fun things that would not happen in the community otherwise. Players could be assigned mechs randomly when loading. There could be recreation of 4th succession war or historical battles, 4 clans vs 8 IS, or maybe a Santa's Elves showdown (all JJ mechs team Kris (Red) and team Kringle (Green) bouncing around in low gravity). Basically, it'd be something fun and out of the ordinary, you could win a prize, the MWO people get some cash, and it doesn't ruin the basic vanilla game.

Releasing a map a month could be tough, so maybe it could be something as simple as taking a known map, sticking one team in teh middle and letting the other team surround them (pincer action/defend the base or something like that). The mechs picked by the staff could make it fair or not.

Access to Restricted Game Types: Premium players could try different map modes with restricted equipment: Flanking action (no top speeds under X amount or no assaults), Succession wars tech (no level II tech), Duels (1 on 1), the Grand Melee (would be awesome!) etc.

Modified Sounds: I'd pay to hear John Cleese tell me my heat level is critical. You know, like the voices on a GPS unit. Click the voice from a dropdown before the battle starts. You could do historical, someone could scream in Chinese if you're Liao, etc. Also, in Counter-Strike you can hit a few buttons to spout something random to your teammates (Cover me!). It'd be neat if you could do this in MWO and maybe you could apply modified sounds there. People who are complaining about some base sounds in their mechs could maybe download a 50s sci fi sound scheme or something heavily industrial. I'm okay with the sound effects as is.

Unit Insignias: Instead of just camos, maybe you could buy famous unit insignias to post on your shoulder. Want to be part of the 12th ghost? Pony up some MC and it's on your mech!

Any other ideas you'd pay to see? I tried to keep it basic/realistic, but I admit I have no idea how hard these would be to implement. The game types in particular I don't see happening, but a nerd can always dream right?

#2 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

There could be recreation of 4th succession war or historical battles

Why am I unable to find a decent discussion of just this idea? I would like to see a forum section with threads dedicated to each battle. People could start threads on specific battles and toss around ideas for particpation.

As an example. Once the Battlemaster is available, I would like to see a thread about the Battle of Coventry. There were multiple battles and they could each be set up as individual participations. For this example, I would suggest the battle where Waco Rangers and other Mercs, were tasked to sneak behind and hit Jade Falcom Forces in the rear. Jade Falcon commanders anticipated this move and countered it. The Mercs walked into a LRM Hell ambush. Participants could sign up for one or the other side, or both sides. Scenario parameters could be established, Map selection limitations would be key. Considering the little I know of the Battle in question, Maybe Forest Colony would be most appropriate. Mech selection would be key. Merc would bring IS builds, Jade Falcons would need to bring LRM Heavy builds. and so on and so on.

Big questions are

1 If this is or has been discussed before where is it?

2, Would this idea need a specific forum locale for these recreations? The best place so far I can think of is the specific House or Clan subsections where these battles take place. But lots of planets change hands, so that is not a clearly logical choice.

3 How to do this to maximize enjoyment without unduly burdening PGI. (A specific Server would be an expense that PGI should not be forced to fund)

Apologies if this derails the thread, but this was the best specific mention of historical recreations a search turned up.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users