Thermal / Night-Vision Modes - Feedback

567 replies to this topic

#561 Sable Phoenix

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Just a simple request, the grayscale thermal vision looks pretty boring. I have no problem with the function of it, it's just visually bland. Could we get it in a red-and-yellow wash, like the Thermal Optics in Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries?

Edited by Sable Phoenix, 28 May 2013 - 05:18 AM.

#562 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

Are the new vision modes supposed to have so much performance impact?
I lose like 4-5FPS when using either one... which means i cannot use them as i usually have about 30-35FPS, easily dipping under that if there's action going on even without either vision mode.
Makes playing on River City Night really annoying.

And no, upgrading my laptop (or moving to a desktop) is not an option, not anytime soon.

#563 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

I feel the new modes be good, helpful situationally but not mandatory all the time like the "blues" version.
I do not encounter a performance drop using them.

Edited by Thorqemada, 29 May 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#564 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 29 May 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

I do not encounter a performance drop using them.

Do you play with FPS visible (like FRAPS)? If you have a good rig, you aren't going to notice the drop without one, probably.
People with low-end computers, like me, certainly do notice it, with or without FPS display.

#565 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

View PostEmpyrus, on 30 May 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

Do you play with FPS visible (like FRAPS)? If you have a good rig, you aren't going to notice the drop without one, probably.
People with low-end computers, like me, certainly do notice it, with or without FPS display.

I switch FPS on and off after patchdays and with FPS on i switched through the view modes and there is no performance drop.
Though i have indeed a PC that is probably above average with an FX 8350, ATI 6950, 8 GB Ram and the Win7 x64 OS.
I plan to change the ATI for the new AMD 8870 when it arrives and i am sure i will have a gaming rig that can last as long the hardware stays alive bcs viusals hit a wall regarding to the time/financial investment and cpu/gpu/ram usage.
Beside that Consoles will define the visuals and even the next Generation is already behind the current PC gen.

Edited by Thorqemada, 30 May 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#566 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

I guess this performance issue is limited to laptop graphics cards or other low-end ones then. Or alternatively current (WHQL) Nvidia Drivers are the issue. *shrug*

#567 Valak

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

I had commented on this during the beta and still have issue with it. For back ground I will start by saying I was a gunner on the M1A1 Abrams tank and later the M1A2. We shoot in thermal almost exclusively. Today's thermals can very literally watch a rabbit pooh in the woods at 4000M. Thermals allow us to see some things very well but can also make things hard to positively identify. We have to go through slides all the time to be able to identify other equipment in thermals because it can be hard, especially at long ranges. The reason I bring it up is that as the thermals are right now there is little real need for them. Light amplification, night vision, is better for details at short to medium range but wash out at longer range. Right now you can identify a person at 130M or so but not be able to identify that person specifically until 50M.

So with all that said I would recommend that you scrap the current system for the most part. Allow for white hot or black hot in thermals and make the range better while loosing resolution at those ranges. Second make sure they actually reflect the way thermals work. A flamer would completely wash out the thermals. In the tank when we fire the main gun we wash out the thermals for 1-2 seconds. The target would also appear differently. Hot points on the target should show as hot. A weapon fired would show as very hot. Heat sinks should also show very hot. the main core should be shielded and would show warm depending on the environment the hottest areas would be the heat sinks and weapon ports. At longer range if thermals were done right it would make for a very interesting trade off. The ability to identify and target an enemy at range but the loose vision when missiles or lasers fire. the enemy fire would also have an effect on the system as well. Low light systems should wash out more with laser or missile fire. Even if the lasers were to be without UV light the lasers would still cause blooming if fired in their direction or in nearness to the mech. Out thermals are good right now but far from perfect, it is a trade off but at this point the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users