Gaining Additional Module Slots

3 replies to this topic

Poll: Additional Module Slots after Mastering a mech (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like the ability to gain additional module slots for your mechs after mastering them?

1. Yes, I agree. (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No, I don't agree. (15 votes [75.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

3. I abstain. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Okay, so according to some PGI post which I can't be bothered to dig through the forums to find, but that I still distinctly remember, modules are supposed to be the "end-game" of MWO -- meaning that they're the the high-end modifications, similar to the super-units you get in games like Starcraft which are incredibly expensive but offer unique bonuses. The only difference is that modules are not single-use, but they are single-mech.

Now, I know that if modules are end-game, I'd like to be able to 'level' the playing field by being able to earn additional slots for my mechs.

At an increased GXP cost of course. (No, this wouldn't allow you to use MC to get these slots -- that'd be too close to P2W for my tastes.)

So, if the first additional module slot for your first ever Mastered mech costs:
Basic skills x 8 (I think it's ~15k XP per mech, but I'm not sure) for 3 mechs of the same chassis
Elite skills x 4 (21.5k XP per mech) for 3 mechs of the same chassis
Master skill x 1 (21.5k XP per mech) for 1 mech of the same chassis

Add that up.
assuming it's:
15k per mech for the 8 basic skills (3 mechs) = 45k XP
21.5k per mech for the 4 basic skills (3 mechs) = 64.5k XP
21.5k per mech for the 1 master skill (1 mech) = 21.5k XP

That's a total of 131k XP for a master slot for a single mech. (This is, of course, significantly reduced for subsequent master slots on other variants of the same chassis -- an additional 21.5k XP each.)

Now, keeping in mind that modules are end-game, and that people using premium time get +50% XP, while 21.5k XP sounds like a large amount, it really isn't -- for the first module slot, it's fine. For additional module slots though, it shouldn't allow a mech to exceed say, 6 modules total. This would be enough to allow for quite a variety of modules, while also allowing players to spend that excess XP on their mechs without converting it to GXP.

I have no idea how much the additional slots should cost though, but I think that they should cost more for Hero mechs, and possibly more for Founder's mechs -- as they would be able to gain the most benefit from those extra modules; if you get a CB bonus for using those mechs, and the modules help you earn more CB in the first place, more modules could cause the additional CB to increase very quickly, which could damage the in-game economy.

On the other hand, I really don't know what PGI has planned for spending unused mech XP in the future, so this could be a moot idea.

#2 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

I'm going to say no as long as efficiencies are ignored in matchmaking. A Mastered mech is already far more powerful than the same mech without efficiencies. No need to make them even more powerful.

If they add anything post-mastery, it should be something that doesn't affect gameplay; A unique camo, a C-Bill boost, etc. To be honest, the current system is already sort of pay-to-compete; if two players start fresh, but one buys premium time, they will have an advantage at least until the non-premium player has a mastered mech with full module slots. And they will have the advantage with every new mech they buy.

#3 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Some mechs have more module slots than other variants. For some like the Jenner K, it's one of their few distinguishing features. Adding so many additional module slots would make those advantages less significant and make the decision of what modules to take less important. Therefore, I must vote no.

#4 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

No you got it wrong. The master skill additional module slot is not end game. It is not that hard to get. The modules themselves are endgame which is why they are so expensive.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users