Dont Increase Armour, Change Weapon Cooldown.

47 replies to this topic

#21 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

The slower the weapons fire, the more time you can expose yourself without fear of retribution.

B umping weapons fire for large weapons would certainly make some fights last longer. It would also make long range weapons FAR less useful. Fast brawlers with fast recharge weapons would become the norm. Larger and longer ranged weapons would disappear over night.

Plus, PGI would never do this, It is far to radical a change for them.

#22 Zeroskills

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostWarGruf, on 09 March 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Steady on, lets start from the top.. A Buff to Pop tarts? how? Surely they would be firing less and therefore easier to flank with your lancemates...

If you slow a weapons rate of fire you would have to buff their damage to keep the relative DPS the same or they become useless compared to the lighter weapons. With your 10 second fire rate on the PPC you would need to give it about 30 damage to keep the DPS the same. Now a dual PPC poptart can jump out and hit you for 60 damage and then wait out the 10 second cooldown safely behind cover. If its a 2 PPC 1 gauss poptart it now has about a 90 point alpha (gauss would need to be buffed to about 30 damage for the same DPS.) I don't think that would do anything to extend matches.

Also, I want to know what the hell you people are doing that get you killed right away. I have very few matches that are really short that weren't a direct result of me doing something stupid. I think the match times I am getting now is perfectly fine.

Edited by Zeroskills, 09 March 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#23 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostEnig, on 09 March 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

There is nothing wrong with armor values X_X

What is this trend some of you kids are on?

I have been wondering this while I see the number of topics that pop up along this line today.

Maybe we should ask the mods to sweep them all under one megatopic, like they did for the consumables...

Posted Image

#24 Petrothian Tong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostZeroskills, on 09 March 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Also, I want to know what the hell you people are doing that get you killed right away. I have very few matches that are really short that weren't a direct result of me doing something stupid. I think the match times I am getting now is perfectly fine.

my guess is that they run out in the open to get focused fired by 4 of their guys....

when 4 sets of guns shooting you, is gonna hurt, and gonna explode =D

*stil wonder why there "I am so great I should be able to take bullets up the butt and still gleem off awsomeness" mentality is called... oh wait...

#25 HugoStiglitz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

This would only make boating worse as with this I would not need to dedicate nearly as much space or weight to heat sinks, so I can fit more weapons on my mech to make my 10 sec alphas that much more devastating. All I need to do is make sure my aim is on and fire away every 10 sec.

#26 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Tactics? In this game?

The only winning tactic is "who has more mechs in their deathball?"

#27 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostPetrothian Tong, on 09 March 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

problem is... when is only 8 vs 8 on TINY maps is boring.
(by scale, MWO maps before aphine is like, only 4 grids of WOT maps?

Actually, we have bigger maps.

The problem is that unlike WW2 tanks, our mechs stride around 64 -150 km/h.
In comparison, the fastest tank on the game, the T-50-2 is only 72 km/h and it is relatively like a rocket when put in comparison with other tanks.

#28 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

AFAIK, tactics in this game come from positioning, mech knowledge, heat management, teamwork, etc. Not sure how decreasing fire rate would make any of those deeper.

#29 Petrothian Tong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostAdridos, on 09 March 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Actually, we have bigger maps.

The problem is that unlike WW2 tanks, our mechs stride around 64 -150 km/h.
In comparison, the fastest tank on the game, the T-50-2 is only 72 km/h and it is relatively like a rocket when put in comparison with other tanks.

hence, problem XD

#30 Panzerman03

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

I think a seven ton weapon that does 0.9 DPS at 300m is entirely reasonable.

Wait, no it's not.

Tons of bad ideas on the board today. Full moon or something?

#31 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 09 March 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

You die in about 30 seconds in this game. Brawling's dangerous.

I do disagree with that. It does seem too 'glass-cannon' like, personally.

#32 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

A much better solution is for PGI to simply ignore all the whiners who want to "Nerf this" "Nerf that".

#33 Ialti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostWarGruf, on 09 March 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

After reading through some posts on why people want the armour increased I came across an Idea by SteelJaws... If the game is finishing too quickly because of focus fire etc why not increase the Heavy weapons cool down times...

Now to me this makes perfect sense and can help balance Mech builds and Mech weapon loadouts while bringing a sense of scale to the weapon groups.

I put my own spin on this Idea as well, If we break the weapon groups into:

Heavy.
PPCs + (ER)
Large Lazers (ER + Pulse)
Gauss
AC20

Heavy weapons take the whole 10 secconds to recharge.

Medium Heavy.
LRMs
SRMs (Streaks included)
LBX10
AC10

Medium Heavy weapons take 7.5 secconds to recharge.

Standard.
AC5
UAC5
AC2
Medium Lazer (Pulse)
Small Lazer (Pulse)

The Standard weapons take their usual times to rechage.

This I reckon could stop people boating the Heavy - Medium Heavy weapons as much... An SRM/LRM boat, PPC boat, LLazer boat, Guass boat etc.. Wouldn't be as scary if the took between 7.5 secs to 10 secs to reload. People would stop boating and the weapon loadouts would start to look a little bit more normal and balanced.

Obviously the thing that would need adjusting afterwards would be the heat factor for the weapons but I'm no programmer just an Ideas man...

What do you think?

No. Catapults are already out.

#34 Fajther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan, usa

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Currently we have some of the best balance we have ever had in the game. Messing with recycle times now would be very dangerous. Even if we lowered everything equally it would still change things. I get worried when people suggest things like this. Staying very close to my teams has a greater effect on how long I live then how much armor I carry. I am going to keep saying it. Hardened armor, or some pgi incarnation there of, could help the people who want to last longer to do so, without effecting the rest of us. If they want more they could get it.

#35 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Why not just add extra cooldown timers to weapons that are grouped together. This extra cooldown time could represent the extra calculations necessary to make all 6 of those ppcs target the same spot, I guess.

...just sortta thinking out loud here.

#36 William Radick

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 64 posts
  • LocationH-Town Texas

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostFajther, on 09 March 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Currently we have some of the best balance we have ever had in the game. Messing with recycle times now would be very dangerous. Even if we lowered everything equally it would still change things. I get worried when people suggest things like this. Staying very close to my teams has a greater effect on how long I live then how much armor I carry. I am going to keep saying it. Hardened armor, or some pgi incarnation there of, could help the people who want to last longer to do so, without effecting the rest of us. If they want more they could get it.

^ this. Everytime I die "instantly" it is from me wandering off, or in a fireline 2-4 enemy mechs focusing on me (or maybe a lucky headshot). Why would anyone expect to be able to live facing off multipule enemies for more than half a minute is beyond me*.

*Unless you're in something light and fast ofcourse.

Edited by William Radick, 09 March 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#37 HRR Insanity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

There is a really simple fix that actually addresses the underlying problem.

#38 Zeroskills

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Its too bad Elo is hidden, it would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between Elo scores and opinions.

#39 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

I will boat medium lasers all day erry day with your glorious new plan.

#40 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

ppc/lrm/srm boating aside things are in a pretty good place, at most a 5-10% (.5 sec max) global increase on current values (with some exceptions to increase currently weak options like ac5/10, mg) may be good for drawing out fights a little more.

Edited by Ralgas, 09 March 2013 - 04:03 PM.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users