It's just awful!

226 replies to this topic

Poll: The horror! (353 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the worst Mech ever?

1. UrbanMech (the trash can) (118 votes [33.43%])

Percentage of vote: 33.43%

2. Charger (popgun pretender) (123 votes [34.84%])

Percentage of vote: 34.84%

3. Other (please explain) (112 votes [31.73%])

Percentage of vote: 31.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Arikiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

Which is the worst Mech ever?

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Anything made by the Inner Sphere Houses after 2784.

#3 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

Anything beginning with "Ost..." makes me puke. Also, that golf ball launcher they call Blitzkrieg.

EDIT @ above: Raven, Bushwacker, Uziel, Sunder, Blackhawk KU, Owens, Avatar? You hate them all? Post-3039 IS mechs are my absolute favorite!

Edited by Zakatak, 14 May 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#4 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

CHARGER
Posted Image

#5 Sleepy Head

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

MadCat. Not even trolling.

/flamesuit

#6 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostSleepy Head, on 14 May 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

/flamesuit

In some cultures, saying such treasonous things is considered a crime punishable by death.

This is one of those cultures.

#7 Der Kommissar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

The Charger at least has a niche as a melee brawler. Players tend to ignore it until it's kicking your leg off. Plus, there are two excellent variants/mechs built on the Charger chassis.

The Jackrabbit, on the other hand, is basically worthless.

#8 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostSleepy Head, on 14 May 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

/flamesuit

I interpret this to mean you could not learn how to be effective in that mech for squat.

#9 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Urban Mech is absolutely worthless imho, no armor, no speed, and a popgun ammo explosion waiting to happen. Worthless.

The Charger is easily fixed with either reducing the speed down to 4/6 or getting an XL engine, then you have /tons/ of weight for armor and weapons.

Urbanmech? Nothing can fix that.

#10 Darius Bloodblayde

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC CANADA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Whoever said Madcat sucked, should be kicked in the bag, as far as I'm concerned Madcat is one of the most powerful and versatile mechs in the Mechwarrior game....

#11 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

The Urbanmech is a brutal 30 tonner that can easily, when used right, be a powerful wildcard.

The Charger is underrated. It has some devastating combat variants and even it's infamous 5 small laser one is very cheap for the BV and a great kick machine.

My vote? Hands down, the one that is the least used tournament 'mech which has the worst damage of it's entire weight class: The Dragon. Worse yet there's an hilarious version with an AC/2 instead of a 5; you also can't forget one of it's otherwise somewhat redeeming medium lasers fires backwards. It's a terrible 'mech.

Terrible.

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 14 May 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Urban Mech is absolutely worthless imho, no armor, no speed, and a popgun ammo explosion waiting to happen. Worthless.

The Charger is easily fixed with either reducing the speed down to 4/6 or getting an XL engine, then you have /tons/ of weight for armor and weapons.

You've obviously never seen one used effectively. In a city environment (hence their name) being able to round the corner with a 360-degree firing AC/20 can make it absolutely devastating. In the T2 category, the Urbanmech that sports a RAC/5 is brutal in the city and rocky terrain as well.

Urbanmechs are very powerful without even considering mods. They really only are terrible if you're using an AC/2 or 5 model, or are trying to fight in open environments where they can't close. That said, on a BV for BV price, a company of urbies is worth about a lance of assaults or less and they can almost always close in and win. Urbanmechs are good at what they do, but they don't do everything.

As a side note, the Charger has some devastating variants that don't even use XL. The CGR-SB (4 Large Lasers and 1 Medium) is one of the best assault 'mechs in 3025.

View PostDarius Bloodblayde, on 14 May 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Whoever said Madcat sucked, should be kicked in the bag, as far as I'm concerned Madcat is one of the most powerful and versatile mechs in the Mechwarrior game....

Despite his disclaimer he's obviously trolling. Nobody could justify the Madcat being low tier, let alone bottom tier.

Really the Shadow Hawk and Dragon should be on the poll. The Shadow Hawk is just horrendous, barring a few later-day variants, too.

Edited by Victor Morson, 14 May 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#12 Der Kommissar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 14 May 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

The Urbanmech is acceptable in its niche, which is close-quarters urban combat. They're cheap in terms of BV and well-protected for a light, and that popgun...isn't...in 3025. Being stuck in a double-blind battle in a city with Urbanmechs is no laughing matter.

My vote? Hands down, the one that is the least used tournament 'mech which has the worst damage of it's entire weight class: The Dragon. Worse yet there's an hilarious version with an AC/2 instead of a 5; you also can't forget one of it's otherwise somewhat redeeming medium lasers fires backwards. It's a terrible 'mech.

Rear lasers are good for dissuading backbiters. The Dragon's not great, but it's acceptable, particularly when you remember that 5/8 60-tonners are just buff medium mechs. The Dragon with the PPC is nasty business.

Edited by Der Kommissar, 14 May 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#13 JHare

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Jackrabbit is a pretty awful design, I'm hard pressed to top that. But I must try.

The Hornet with LRM 5 is pretty worthless.

#14 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

View PostZakatak, on 14 May 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

In some cultures, saying such treasonous things is considered a crime punishable by death.

This is one of those cultures.

Yeah in this case you dont even get a trail :D

#15 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

2/3 movement with no armor is never a brutal anything. An AC 10 is not a good weapon for that light of a mech. A pair of LRM-5's with speed is better. Heck pretty much anything is better than 2/3 speed with no armor and an ammo explosion waiting to happen. I just do not understand, no I can't even /comprehend/ this love for the Urbanmech. I seriously think it's all trollers.

#16 McQueen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 187 posts
  • LocationOff grid

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm not touching this one. No matter what mech you say it will be someone's favorite.

#17 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

Urbie is the worst. There is no Urbie config that I like however, a CGR-SB with 4 Large Lasers is a formidable Mech.

#18 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

STG-3R Stinger.

The UrbanMech, the Charger... they at least have some redeeming feature to mask their flaws. The Stinger is just awful.

#19 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

hatchet man

#20 Der Kommissar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 14 May 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

2/3 movement with no armor is never a brutal anything. An AC 10 is not a good weapon for that light of a mech.

When you're talking dense urban, that mobility matters less. Especially since mechs tend to skid in cities of they use their full mobility. I'll agree that autocannons make for poor light mech weapons, but the Urbanmech makes a half-decent use of one.

A pair of LRM-5's with speed is better.

That is a completely different design paradigm, not an URBANmech. Further, you're dealing smaller hits and missiles - which need not hit with their full salvo (LRM-5s do 3 damage on average).

Heck pretty much anything is better than 2/3 speed with no armor and an ammo explosion waiting to happen.

The Urbanmech has good armor for a mech of its tonnage and very low BV. All mechs with ammo in 3025 are an ammo explosion waiting to happen, and many are much, much worse than the Urbie in this regard.

I just do not understand, no I can't even /comprehend/ this love for the Urbanmech. I seriously think it's all trollers.

The Urbanmech has a combination of derpy but somewhat cute looks, seemingly terrible statistics, and surprising utility when deployed correctly. Most folks have a David-slays-Goliath story involving a cheap-as-dirt Urbanmech humbling a bigger machine. Optimization is not necessarily the key factor in what makes folks love a mech.

Edited by Der Kommissar, 14 May 2012 - 04:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users