It's just awful!

226 replies to this topic

Poll: The horror! (353 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the worst Mech ever?

1. UrbanMech (the trash can) (118 votes [33.43%])

Percentage of vote: 33.43%

2. Charger (popgun pretender) (123 votes [34.84%])

Percentage of vote: 34.84%

3. Other (please explain) (112 votes [31.73%])

Percentage of vote: 31.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 movingtarget

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostGrizzlyViking, on 14 May 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

Urbie is the worst. There is no Urbie config that I like however, a CGR-SB with 4 Large Lasers is a formidable Mech.

dare you to say that after a urbanmech pops out of the side street behind you and unloads 2 ac20 shells into your back and is around the corner again before you finish turning around, your large lasers are not so hot in a urban fight(well maybe they are :D )

(i think i will get one if they add them, it should be a good mech to earn cbills on and should be cheap to fix when it gets steped on eventualy)

Edited by movingtarget, 14 May 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#22 Vashts1985

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 14 May 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Anything made by the Inner Sphere Houses after 2784.

with a few exeptions, this.

#23 Arikiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostDer Kommissar, on 14 May 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

Rear lasers are good for dissuading backbiters. The Dragon's not great, but it's acceptable, particularly when you remember that 5/8 60-tonners are just buff medium mechs. The Dragon with the PPC is nasty business.

Indeed. If you think of the Dragon as a big Medium Mech rather then comparing it to other Heavy Mechs it does just fine.

#24 Flyingotter

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

This is one of those Btech discussions that has been going on from the beginning. I will fall back on the old Smoke Jaguar answer "Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing with the Inner Sphere, even if you win, your still a freebirth!"

(There are no bad mechs, just bad pilots!)

Edited by Flyingotter, 14 May 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#25 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Champion, even if I think it is one of the few mechs that look good in its original artwork (and definetly in game), it is underarmed/underpowered/underarmored and I wouldn't want to be inside one against anything more competent Lyran.

#26 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

The Assassin... and some versions of the Charger.

#27 Sleepy Head

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 14 May 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

I interpret this to mean you could not learn how to be effective in that mech for squat.

I used the supposed best configurations for it according to some google searches. There is truth to your post in that I cannot be effective when used in MW4:Mercs. Instead, I'm good in a Catapult with four medium beam lasers and LRM-20s .

#28 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

View Postmovingtarget, on 14 May 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

dare you to say that after a urbanmech pops out of the side street behind you and unloads 2 ac20 shells into your back and is around the corner again before you finish turning around, your large lasers are not so hot in a urban fight(well maybe they are :D )

A) There's not an urbanmech with an Ultra AC 20 (There is one with an ultra AC10 however), let alone the fact that it has 2/3 movement and it isn't popping out of anywhere fast nor returning to where it was fast.

B.) In an urban setting you can move pretty freely so long as you don't try to run and turn especially multiple times, this is why jump jets are godlike in a city, awesome mobility, facing change, and no slip sliding other than possibly landing in rough terrain.

C) Good Armor? For real? It has 6 tons of armor. 6. Without the speed to avoid hits it's toast. Center torso has a whopping /11/ armor, R/L Torso have 8. AC 10 ammo is in the right torso, two medium laser hits and it's done. It'd be better served with a single large laser (Same range as an AC 10, slightly less damage 8 vs 10, and still no heat issues) By yanking the AC 10 for a Large Laser you free up 8 tons for more movement, more weaponry, more heat sinks, with the /SAME/ armor.

Result: Urbanmech is garbage in every way. Ballistics just don't work on a mech that size and to think that it's good is just... it boggles the mind.

#29 Joeseph Pierce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Charger...really, an assault mech with some small beams? wow. I wanna see someone pilot that.

#30 Chunkymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 657 posts
  • LocationReady to make war on Romano Liao for the true chancellor, Candace Allard-Liao

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

The first Banshee model, being both slow AND terribly armed. Same with the Mackie.

#31 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

Posted Image

#32 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

View Postmovingtarget, on 14 May 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

(i think i will get one if they add them, it should be a good mech to earn cbills on and should be cheap to fix when it gets steped on eventualy)

Buy 2 and tow the extra on a utility trailer behind the first one. Then if you live after ejecting from the first one you may have time to hop into the back-up and fire a second shot. :rolleyes: heheheheheh

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 14 May 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#33 Der Kommissar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostChunkymonkey, on 14 May 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

The first Banshee model, being both slow AND terribly armed. Same with the Mackie.

The Mackie isn't terrible, it's simply a primitive design. In its era, it's perfectly capable of bringing the pain. It's like comparing a Panzer-IV to a T-90.

Edited by Der Kommissar, 14 May 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#34 GrizzlyViking

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostInteli, on 14 May 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

Charger...really, an assault mech with some small beams? wow. I wanna see someone pilot that.

CGR-SB lest you forget.

#35 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Charger with a full move double punch was scary. Run up, unload small lasers, double punch, or kick if trying to cripple or kill a smaller mech... Not the best design I will fully admit, but 80 tons is a lot of potential and at least it didn't look like a trash can.

#36 Aelos03

• 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

Gladiator for sure that thing is hideous i means its the real trash can

Posted Image

#37 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostDer Kommissar, on 14 May 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

The Mackie isn't terrible, it's simply a primitive design. In its era, it's perfectly capable of bringing the pain. It's like comparing a Panzer-IV to a T-90.

Exactly, The Mackie was being produced up until the Amaris coup. The Terran Hegemony loved the design.

#38 That Guy

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

you need to define "worst mech ever"

ugliest, most worthless loadout, worst sales, worst combat record, worst public reception, worst customer service representatives? :D

#39 Der Kommissar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Exactly, The Mackie was being produced up until the Amaris coup. The Terran Hegemony loved the design.

Though the Mackies by then were nasty, nasty customers. The 9H will take an Atlas to the mat and - provided the dice don't hate it - quite possibly win.

Edited by Der Kommissar, 14 May 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#40 movingtarget

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 14 May 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

A) There's not an urbanmech with an Ultra AC 20 (There is one with an ultra AC10 however), let alone the fact that it has 2/3 movement and it isn't popping out of anywhere fast nor returning to where it was fast.

B.) In an urban setting you can move pretty freely so long as you don't try to run and turn especially multiple times, this is why jump jets are godlike in a city, awesome mobility, facing change, and no slip sliding other than possibly landing in rough terrain.

C) Good Armor? For real? It has 6 tons of armor. 6. Without the speed to avoid hits it's toast. Center torso has a whopping /11/ armor, R/L Torso have 8. AC 10 ammo is in the right torso, two medium laser hits and it's done. It'd be better served with a single large laser (Same range as an AC 10, slightly less damage 8 vs 10, and still no heat issues) By yanking the AC 10 for a Large Laser you free up 8 tons for more movement, more weaponry, more heat sinks, with the /SAME/ armor.

Result: Urbanmech is garbage in every way. Ballistics just don't work on a mech that size and to think that it's good is just... it boggles the mind.

i dont think it needs a ultra 20 to get 2 shots off on a mech thats not faceing it(might have better luck getting 2 off on an assault class though ) and since it has full torso rotation i can peek alot less of my mech around a corner (or over a roof top)to get my shot off, sure any thing bigger then it will rip it appart in one alpha but will any of the light class mechs fare much better in a urban map? if i play hit and run well i could have a assault waste his time trying to get me while my team (or other urban mechs) pick him appart when he turns to get me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users