Server Split

116 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support a full server split? (427 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support a full server split?

1. Yes - It would be better to have a separate account for each server (34 votes [7.96%])

Percentage of vote: 7.96%

2. No - It would be better to allow server choice on a per-session basis (381 votes [89.23%])

Percentage of vote: 89.23%

3. Other - Please post details below (12 votes [2.81%])

Percentage of vote: 2.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Karl Split

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

One of my favourite parts of eve online was fighting/diplomacy with people from different countries it made the game a lot more fun tbh

#102 GateKeeper York

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 60 posts
  • LocationThunderbird 5 (but don't tell anyone)

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Surely we 'as a community' just decline to split 'the community'

My friends and I will be staying with the biggest player base, i.e will stay in NA even though we live in UK.

It might be better if the poll was 'Will you move or stay when transfer window is opened?' If 90% stay I bet they will change their direction then.

#103 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

None of my US friends stuck with this game because of all the problems. Hell the guy who introduced me to Battletech 25 years ago and my best friend doesn't play anymore.

So I have been playing with a bunch of Aussies. I wouldn't mind playing with them on an Australian based server but I might want to play on my own low ping US/Canadian based server.

And I won't be grinding 2 accounts.

There is no reason to force us to have 2 accounts if they let us choose a non-regional server in the first place.

PGI makes the worst decisions. I guess there will be other games.

P.S. I am one of those guys who spends money on games but I have been holding off because I don't trust their decision making. Why drop money on a game that you might be forced to quit soon.

Oh, and they ***** me on 4 colors that I accidentally bought and told me tough **** when I asked for a refund. (3 of them were phraken colors and I already had the PCGamer colors, apparently when you turn off the pattern it does not turn off the colors)

#104 borisof007

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, California

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

It's everyone's decision to make to play on what server they want. Players with high pings that play inside the regions they don't live in have negative effects on those that do live there. It doesn't matter if you're a great player or not, bad ping is always detrimental to you, and in such a team oriented game, a single lost mech could spell disaster.

They won't do a server split until community warfare, and community warfare won't happen until this summer.

#105 krash27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 582 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

The real question is: Will the player base be large enough like WOW/Everquest/Rift etc which all have hundreds of thousands of subscribers, to support such a move?

Because if not the failed to find match and long waits will kill this game.

#106 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostKarl Split, on 22 March 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Cultural differences between NA and EU, and they dont get along? Hmm not sure what your smoking there Taemien, NA is made up of former Eu citizens and if your referring to russians by that I hate to break it to you but they dont consider themselves european, they consider themselves russian...

Alot has happened in 200-300 years.

Lets look at UK and US specifically (since I am of English heritage). In the UK they have chosen to not allow their citizens to carry weapons. They believe that their government can protect them. Now look at the US, we have rights to own weapons that allow us to protect ourselves. Is either way right or wrong? It depends on who you ask. But the discussion is ALWAYS a heated debate and by me even mentioning it will probably spark a debate. But I'm merely using it as an example (and I want to say I am not suggesting that the UK solution is right or wrong, its their country, and their business, not mine).

That is just one example. And as I've said, all you have to do is read this thread to see how much many in the EU dislike NA, the US especially. Separating the two in the online gaming environment isn't a bad idea. Again, we all have friends over in other countries, and its good that we can still play MWO with those friends by switching servers.

#107 Phlyk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:31 AM

View PostTaemien, on 22 March 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

...all you have to do is read this thread to see how much many in the EU dislike NA...

Wait, what?

#108 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

Splitting by region is something you should support. It would only help the game by grouping people closer together, giving better pings and less connection issues. Usually, a game would get 1 region for Canada/NA/SA, and more for the rest of the world. Given how popular this game is in Australia, Deutschland, and Europe, they better get more.

#109 StandingCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:13 AM

I very much dislike it. All it does is split the already small community.

I don't see why they don't just mirror all accounts across both servers and let you play wherever you want. Not sure if it is technical... or they just don't want it to work that way?

#110 SvennK

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

I would like an option to choose which server I was connection on before each drop. Not each session. Same sort of menu like the one we have when choosing game mode would work fine.

SvennK

#111 Phlyk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:18 AM

@ Buten: I do in fact support having regional servers. In fact, the two main poll options are both keeping in mind the face that there WILL be regional servers. What I am against is not being able to choose which server I connect to on a per-session basis.

I appreciate the better latency that will come with regional servers. I do not appreciate being forced to chose which population I will be playing with.

#112 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

Alot has happened in 200-300 years.

Lets look at UK and US specifically (since I am of English heritage). In the UK they have chosen to not allow their citizens to carry weapons. They believe that their government can protect them. Now look at the US, we have rights to own weapons that allow us to protect ourselves. Is either way right or wrong? It depends on who you ask. But the discussion is ALWAYS a heated debate and by me even mentioning it will probably spark a debate. But I'm merely using it as an example (and I want to say I am not suggesting that the UK solution is right or wrong, its their country, and their business, not mine).

That is just one example. And as I've said, all you have to do is read this thread to see how much many in the EU dislike NA, the US especially. Separating the two in the online gaming environment isn't a bad idea. Again, we all have friends over in other countries, and its good that we can still play MWO with those friends by switching servers.

Only on the MWO forums could a discussion about regional servers also include someone drawing parallels to gun control.

#113 Esk

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

As Other have said, it looks like a money grab more then anything else, and that was my 1st thought about it..
(Reverse effect on me as it just stopped me putting cash in for the sale)

This will have a huge effect on the community and while some players who are ott, and want everyone to have a almost perfect ping (an tbh, US pings I see tend to have a much greater range then a lot of EU/UK ones) I can't really see where you'll get support for this.

But if you allow people to chose (permanently or per session) , you'll probably just see a quick discussion on the subject here and other places, with the majority of the community jumping onto the chosen regions server imo.
And while some will decided to go local regardless i think a lot would rather have the larger pool of players..

@ The players, we should just all stay US (as it'll be simpler) and just pretend the EU server isn't real.. :)

Edit:

"stuff"

I personally find some areas of the US annoying to play against (and i'm sure some do me) purely on what they consider to be the point of a game, but I can say exactly the same about the EU, and even the UK..
But then some of the People i enjoying playing with most and actually intended to visit at some point are from the US too..
It's much more a issue about the motivations of the player group and while yes regional differences tend to show this up more, it in no way means I would want to stop playing with/against them.

An finally you also clump a huge amount of cutlers into the EU.
I would say that the UK players will be fairly mix'd on if they prefer/dislike the US or the EU more..

Edited by Esk, 23 March 2013 - 03:42 AM.

#114 Kasechemui

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

Strictly "NO" to both choices!
ONE Server for everyone.
I don't want to be inprisoned on a (for example) german region server.
It would be full of Steiners and I don't want to fight against Steiners. I want do fight against Marik, Kurita, Liao, Davion, Rasalhague and whoever else will be there.

#115 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostKasechemui, on 23 March 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

ONE Server for everyone.

Only if that server is placed in the EU. Zero reason to keep a single server in the US.

#116 SmokinDave73

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz, Outer Sphere Periphery

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

I hope the Dev's at PGI can just see that splitting up their player base between regions is a huge mistake and make it so you can log on to multiple region just using your one main account. Countless other f2p games do this PGI are just being stubborn and are not following suit on the matter.

#117 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Just let us use the same account on any server we wish to play on.

Don't make us pick once and be stuck with that region.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users