Server Split

116 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support a full server split? (427 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support a full server split?

1. Yes - It would be better to have a separate account for each server (34 votes [7.96%])

Percentage of vote: 7.96%

2. No - It would be better to allow server choice on a per-session basis (381 votes [89.23%])

Percentage of vote: 89.23%

3. Other - Please post details below (12 votes [2.81%])

Percentage of vote: 2.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 11 March 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

It sounds like PGI thinks this'll make them more money, like people will be dumb enough to create multiple accounts and spend MC on both

Oh some will. Most will probably just stay on the NA servers.

#62 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 11 March 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

Thanks for redirecting this from ATD 33 ...

I play from Japan, and have a consistent ping of about 200 ... the game is exceptionally enjoyable, but every now and then I do have some warping problems with either me or other players. My personal observation (no data to back it up, since state rewind for lasers and stats for each weapon came out at the same time) is that the "lag shield" effect is mostly gone for lasers, both in my targeting and getting hit when I'm in a fast light.

Given the option, I would most likely PUG in local servers. However, I will probably start dropping with other groups soon, but I want the option to drop with any groups that I want to drop with, regardless of location. While this may not be best for competitive play, that's not why I'm playing. I'm playing to have fun.

Also, with Community Warfare coming "soon TM", I don't want different inner sphere maps for each server/region. I want one persistent game universe ... is it possible that between the time my wife pries my mouse from my hands and points me to bed and when I get back from work that the "big game" will have changed? Absolutely! It will keep me logging in each night to find out what missions the Combine has in store for me. When I do wake up early on the weekends, I'd prefer to log on to North American servers and play with my friends there. When their real lives or circadian rhythm takes over (at about lunch time for me), I'll log on to more local servers and play with others.

Give us the flexibility to have one universal account that can be used on any server to do battle across one persistent game universe.

If I have to choose, I'll almost certainly stick with North American servers ... while I love where I live, it may not last forever.

Edit: Oh, and on a more personal note, I won't be getting a second account for any reason, partly because I already have too much invested in this one.
this this and more this. Listen to him PGI!!

#63 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostPhlyk, on 10 March 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

@ Funkadelic Mayhem:

If people are encouraged to make a separate account for each region, then that will not resolve the issue of those playing with a high ping.

The only difference is you will be playing against their Alt account instead of their Main one.

Not all of them will be on both, so less people with high pings is better.

#64 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,826 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Right. a North American player with a high ping rate isn't going to benefit from a split. All you're going to do is reduce server traffic by severing your community.

As an IT professional, I understand your pain, but separating by region isn't going to solve the issue.

#65 Phlyk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 11 March 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

Not all of them will be on both, so less people with high pings is better.

I agree that after the split, whichever method they use, there will be less people with high pings on any given regions server,

However, I don't think the population of high-pingers will be much different regardless of which method they use. I think a lot of people will choose a non-local server to play on, in order to keep playing with their friends, and they will be stuck on that server with no option to ever play on their local one instead without an alt account.

Whilst I accept that it will be more work to make the servers a per-session choice, there are not really any other genuine downsides.

#66 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

As far as it goes, I like the idea of separate servers because it shows forethought about serverload and playability for overseas pilots. Compared to alot of the Devs current reactive mode on bugs and such, active planning is welcome.

#67 SmokinDave73

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz, Outer Sphere Periphery

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

View PostLord Ikka, on 11 March 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

As far as it goes, I like the idea of separate servers because it shows forethought about serverload and playability for overseas pilots. Compared to alot of the Devs current reactive mode on bugs and such, active planning is welcome.

Active planning is indeed welcome but if the devs plan on splitting the servers anytime soon we wont have enough active members on to play at off peak times such as 12-5am American time, which is the time period the whole South east asia and Australian time zones play in. I sincerely hope the devs respond to this and actually give us an estimated time frame for which they plan to start splitting up the regions and explain to us why the sudden change of heart on making it a permenent split instead of a per log in basis.

#68 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

View PostSmokinDave73, on 12 March 2013 - 02:55 AM, said:

explain to us why the sudden change of heart on making it a permenent split instead of a per log in basis.

the most obvious reason is the technical difficulty of achieving it

each time a players logs off the database on the other side would need to update with the changes
and this will be done each session for each player

let's say it's not done when player logs out but at a set time each day and let's also assume player had sessions on both EU and NA servers
what that does is double the traffic and might create possible problems with merging the DBs since each DB had progress for said player
and if not handled correctly anomalies and exploits might occur
let's say player sells one of his mechs on EU then goes to US server and sells the same mech, if the merge is not done right he'll have twice as much C-Bills as he should

#69 Ilwrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

View Postzmeul, on 12 March 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

the most obvious reason is the technical difficulty of achieving it

each time a players logs off the database on the other side would need to update with the changes
and this will be done each session for each player

Oh this again. Tribes Ascend let you choose between several main US and EU servers while keeping your stats up.
You can change between each match and its smooth. There is zero technical difficulty with achieving this. Hi-Rez manages to do it and they are a small firm.

#70 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:20 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 12 March 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

I might be wrong about this, but TA had this ability from early days, while MWO doesn't even poke at the issue

#71 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

View Postzmeul, on 12 March 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

I might be wrong about this, but TA had this ability from early days, while MWO doesn't even poke at the issue

Well they are poking at it now. There is no reason why this should be a problem for them. If they don't have the knowledge about how to do it, well then they have to acquire that knowledge. They have had plenty of income from this beta so there is no excuse for not doing so.

#72 SmokinDave73

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz, Outer Sphere Periphery

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

There is for sure alot of technical reason why PGI might not be able to handle data on mulitple servers ect ect so the easiest fix to this is just to leave the game the way it is for now and not worry about multiple server's for atleast the next 6 months, and maybe by then they will have more resources available to them to make it so you can freely swap between each server without having to make a new account.

#73 Bhan Zor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:37 AM

Arrived at page 4 this thread has and much of the debate is heading down the speculation boulevard. PGI should prepare for a Command Chair Post on the matter and lay down their reasoning because as of now, I'm still confused why they made a U-turn on a statement that was made mere weeks ago...

#74 SgtKinCaiD

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

View PostBhan Zor, on 12 March 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

Arrived at page 4 this thread has and much of the debate is heading down the speculation boulevard. PGI should prepare for a Command Chair Post on the matter and lay down their reasoning because as of now, I'm still confused why they made a U-turn on a statement that was made mere weeks ago...

I already asked it the next "ask the devs#34" => http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2043703

#75 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 12 March 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

they already said they won't go the way we want to, but the way of moving the account to a server of choice
makes you wonder what's the excuse for doing so

#76 Phlyk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hi SgtKinCaiD,

Thank you for posting your question in ATD 34. I too hope they will make a command chair post regarding this. I certainly believe that this is an important issue that needs to be addressed by more than just the ATD process.

#77 Eternal Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostPhlyk, on 09 March 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

<snip>
I know that I would be disappointed if I had to create a new account to play with my overseas friends (or if they had to create one to play with me). It is an unnecessary grind and possible money expense (buying colours/patterns/hero mechs/modules per account).

This is the reason. The possibility of people using more money on two accounts. Someone should go talk to the bean counter they're using and tell him how great his work in alienating the community is.

#78 Fajther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan, usa

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

I am going to keep saying it in the hopes that it will happen. A bonus for people with high pings. A kind of raiding bonus for those who are willing to put up with the high ping. In the interest of not continuing to screw over Australia. (Something the video game industry seems to do rather well.) it would also provide incentive to those to have accounts on different servers.

#79 Phlyk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Well, for all their concerns about splitting the community. They have decided that the Server Split is the way forwards:

http://mwomercs.com/...20#entry2108887

I can only say that this is hugely disappointing and I will not make any further MC payments until (at least) after the final implementation of this is complete.

View PostBryan Ekman, on 22 March 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

Ask the Devs #34

SgtKinCaiD: Can we have a command chair post that explain CLEARLY your statement on the regional server matter ?

A: Sure, when we have a final direction. For now it’s pretty straightforward. Each region will have their own MWO server(s). Most players can create accounts on each server. Some regions will be locked and only available to players located in said region. There will most likely be no central account concept, where you are able to select the region you want to play in. That’s the super quick high level.

#80 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

sort of a slap in the face for people with friends in the UK or whatever who spent money on MC, Devs say just make another account, who would want to have make another account to play with their friends when they've already spent money on the one they have now :/ doesn't seem very fair to me (those who are more doomsayer ish than I might even go so far as to call it a ninja cashgrab :D )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users