Server Split

116 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support a full server split? (427 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support a full server split?

1. Yes - It would be better to have a separate account for each server (34 votes [7.96%])

Percentage of vote: 7.96%

2. No - It would be better to allow server choice on a per-session basis (381 votes [89.23%])

Percentage of vote: 89.23%

3. Other - Please post details below (12 votes [2.81%])

Percentage of vote: 2.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Earlito

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostSmokinDave73, on 10 March 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

Splitting servers and player base for a game that is still in beta will in no way benefit Mechwarrior Online, If PGI continue with this decision without considering the massive ramifications of doing so it may kill this game. The examples you give are 2 very different company's that have 10s of millions of players and have been going in blizzards case for 10+ years. League of Legends has a player sign up of over 100 million people so yes they can afford to split their player base with multiple servers. Also this comment is stupid since you give no reason or evidence that actually shows improved quality of gameplay from those respective companiesfrom splitting thier servers and Blizzard have always had the option to choose freely from server to server in Diablo and Starcraft. Me personally playing from Australia I still have to use the American servers because there are no "Australian" servers, so there goes your theory of improved quality due to ping. I play on 290+ ping and will run people over with 30 ping any day of the week.

To put it simple this game has onlyRoughly "447,241" Total Members this number being taken from the number of profiles that have been created. So if all of these members were split into 2 servers it would have a drastic impact of the number of active people playing on each server. At America PST off peak times with the current ELO system there would be a maybe a 1000-3000 (if your lucky) different people playing at best and a normal game will take over a minute or 2 to find, so if the player base would be segregated there would literally be no one playing at 2-6am PST for example and Australians and any other people from different time zones that want to remain on the US servers because of established clans which another large chunk of the community the game will simply die. Would people be happy waiting over 4-5 minutes to get a gameafter the server split? Some poeple complain that 1 minute is even to long on the forums right now...

It’s plain and simple, even if Australia/South east Asia and other countries were to get their own servers we would not have enough players to fill every one of them. This idea may be one to look into when the game goes full release but if they implement it in the next couple of months or before community warfare goes live and before open beta ends it will be the end of MWO as we know it for the global community because this game has no were near the player base to be splitting servers at this current point of time and even this year to be honest until PGI give us real numbers to go off and actually get off thier *** and show us the amount of peopole that are online like they use to in closed beta.

TL:DR Spliting servers permenently within the next 6-9 months will Ruin MWO and the current user online experience because I for one play with people from all around the world and will not continue to support a game that bar's us from doing that apart from forcing us to make multiple new accounts.

I absoluteley share your position!

#22 NoSkillRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

We barely have enough players as is. I'll pick No!

#23 Jehramy

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

BIG NO!! Not enough player base to split server.

#24 Yanoshiku

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Simply NO!
This game gonna die fast if they split community.
And ill be the first to leave. :)

#25 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

The community has spoken!!

#26 Vahnn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 357 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFargo

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

I voted OTHER, please don't split the server groups at all.

#27 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Dunno why this is an issue at all:
Use ONE server (location) for accounts and MM, multiple servers for games. Include ping in MM. MM distributes matches to the different regional servers. You could even add a player-controlled weighting "I accept to wait longer for better ping".

No one time transfer whatsoever, no issues with groups formed from people at different locations, better average performance but no splitting of community.

#28 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

if it went down to choosing a server to move your account, I'ld chose EU hands down

but! I completely understand OP point and I do hope for a server choice at log-in and migrate the player's progression to the other(s) databases at log-out - this is technically more difficult

#29 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

View Postborisof007, on 09 March 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

Lots of games do this to ensure quality gameplay in the regions they reside in. Blizzard and Riot games both do this, not sure why folks think this is some new development.

Edit: I don't want you on my team if you have more than 150 ping. Yes I'm one of "those" people.

Blizzard has seen the light and made a system called "global play" which allows you to hop around between realms. PGI using the old ways as an excuse would only show their backwards thinking. I hope I don't need to make a new account for other realm because as said; new account means I got nothing on it and I'm sure as hell not stocking up two accounts.

#30 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Hi, you came on our channel and told us about this thread. We discussed it a bit, and here's our reply:

(disclaimer: These are my opinions influenced by my corps mates. I do not speak for my corps, but I will relay our feelings on the subject)

When there is an EU server, it would be a much better idea to simply choose which server you want to connect to session by session, instead of locking an account to a specific server. The player base is simply not big enough to support separated servers. It's a safe assumption that there are more NA players then in the EU, so by locking all EU players to the EU server it would be very possible to lose that player base all together. No matter the server, we could look forward to longer average wait times to find matches.

I support the move to have an EU server, but we should have the choice to choose which server we connect to when we want to.

#31 SmokinDave73

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz, Outer Sphere Periphery

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thanks guys for all your feedback, whether your for or agints the idea of permenent splitting of servers your thoughts are much appreciated and hopefully PGI takes notice of what we have to say as a community on the issue.

#32 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostPhlyk, on 10 March 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

@ Pater Mors: I was hoping that there would be more to it than that!

Is there ever?

#33 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Server split is the worst idea ever (including the ECM)

#34 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

if given the option I would limit myself to the UK servers

I usually play fast Mechs, and high lag can make playing very dificult, with the Mech bouncing all over the place and having to wait a significant fraction of a second between pressing fire and the weapon acturaly firing, this tends to get me killed fast on high lag matches, because not realising were I am I will end up against a building and spend a second or two untangeling my self, not fun when under fire.

Fortunately this does not happen very oftern, but when it does it seems to happen for an hour or more at a time

#35 B4silisk

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Half of the people i play with are americans or canadians, the other half europeans.
Frankly i don´t have the time or money to bring a second account to par with the one i have.
And why should be devoid of my Founders Cat on one of the servers?

#36 sgt scout

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

The server split is to late down the line to ask people to seperate from there unit. If there is a server split, being from the UK and playing at a ping of around 100 - 140 which is fine by me, i would choose to stay on the NA servers but it may still mean many Eu players will leave.

I think they have to allow players to select a server at the start of each loggin.

#37 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

If they don't split the servers, they can't get some peoples money twice (hello mech bays/premium)

They also have to cater to the ping **** crowd who think a ping of 100/180 inhibits their ability to play the game to a high standard.

They have chosen the greed route to make extra money, because they can provide regional play that allows the player to choose where to play at each and every login, it is possible on the technical front without doubt and this will please the ping ****'s and those who are part of multi national units being able to play freely, but rather than gain the praise of their cross country playerbase, they chose the option of potential more $$$ of multiple accounts.

Edited by DV McKenna, 10 March 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#38 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

View Postsgt scout, on 10 March 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

The server split is to late down the line to ask people to seperate from there unit. If there is a server split, being from the UK and playing at a ping of around 100 - 140 which is fine by me, i would choose to stay on the NA servers but it may still mean many Eu players will leave.

I think they have to allow players to select a server at the start of each loggin.

I'd even wanna move to the european servers, all of my mates are from europe, but i'd be afraid many europeans like you would stay on the americans. Great, have just moved my venerable founder's Hunchback to a ghost town... :D

I think you're right.

#39 Belisarius1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Well, this poll is pretty overwhelming.

Do this at your own risk, PGI. A number of other major games have tried it and found it wanting.

#40 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

I like how WoT handled it.

Bring other server clusters on line, and ask the player (once) which cluster they'd like to be on.. and put the account there. (not dual-accounts)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users