Which Msi Lightning To Take?

37 replies to this topic

#21 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationSecond star to the right.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

The difference between the Vapor X and the OC is just 25 euro :D and that would also mean getting the card from an online retailer which is oke, but not great this vapor X I can go and collect tomorrow in a store of a chain with a good name :(

Price wise Asus actually is more expensive most of the time and to my mind they are fugly. I mean I love my asus sabertooth MB, but those cards are just to ugly :)

1.22volts is extreme my current card who's gpu is fine (lets forget the vram) runs 1.2 at 1.169volts which is what it came with stock at a 1.1 ghz clock I added 100 Mhz with adding any volts and it is still stable. So either you have a really bad chip or you just pump in a lot more volts than is needed.

Keep in mind dropping the volts means lower temps!

Btw I do love you guys here, I ask advice in many places and many can give good advice, but here there is always more directed advice it seems which makes things a lot easier as it helps reduce a mountain of choices to a small pile.

Edited by Chiyeko Kuramochi, 11 March 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#22 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

25 Euros? Oh hell, go for it.

#23 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

My idea :D

Prob going to keep my current card around as a backup, I mean it works just acts up when pushed.

#24 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

This is the part where I shamelessly advertise :(

Most of the computer guides that were on this site are presently being moved here: http://www.kitsunesys.com/

So if you're enjoying the tech support here from us, drop by our direct site later on when it's finished and we'll have plenty of good information :D

#25 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I read a note about that one somewhere, but I am going to keep that link.

As always in the rank order of mankind on forums with a lot less tech know how I am usually the one being asked the questions :D So more info is very handy to have to link through.

Beside I like learning this stuff and with some luck hope to get a job in the comp/hardware store to supplement and (hopefully) replace my current IKEA job, uch to quote my manager: "The more IKEA furniture you build the harder it becomes to be an ambassador for the company" and I build at least a 100 times more stuff than he did and I am responsible for product quality in the store, it is just a depressing job.

#26 Damocles 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

voltage down to 1.16, clock up to 1050, still stable, neato, heat levels out at 74C with an ambient temp of 25C

#27 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

See that is more like it:)

It is really a case of slowly change it till you reach a point where it is no longer stable and than you go back to the setting that was stable.

#28 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'd try for 1.12 and 1100mhz, which should be easily doable. Remember, the worst thing your card can do is crash and restart your machine. High voltage can hurt a card, but high clocks can't, aside from temperature (and 7970s destabilize long before they hit dangerous temps). Better yet, keep it where it is for voltage and go for 1150-1200mhz; Your card should easily be able to land somewhere in that range at that voltage. Just keep in mind that you want a good solid 10C of headroom with 25C ambient temps, so try to keep it to 80C. That way if your room gets up to 30C, you're still only running at ~85, or 90 if your room gets up to a worst case temp like 35 (which is just about 95F). Ambient temps don't correlate exactly linearly with hardware temps as far as I know, but in my experience it's close enough :)

Edited by Catamount, 12 March 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#29 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Also use custom fan profiles if not already doing so, they help a little with themps and noise :)

As for the OC keep in mind you might not get 1150 or 1200 depending on the chip, I know people with the same type of card as me who couldn't go above the 1125, there is just no saying how far a chip can overclock as it depends on each separate chip.

#30 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

It's true, some chips definitely fall flat quickly. Still, I've rarely seen 7970s that won't pass 1150 with a little voltage :) (and at 1.16, you're already over-volting, Damocles)

#31 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Most seem to land in the 1150-1200 range, I know this one flatout refuses to go about 1200, I even pushed it to 1.35V and +20 on the power, but no 1210 and it would just crash.

#32 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Yeah a lot crap out after 1200, regardless of voltage, even with +20% on powertune. My first 7970 got to 1240, but it was a dud anyways (died quickly); I haven't tried the replacement yet, but I'd be happy with 1240 (not as happy as with 1280-1300, but you know... :) )

#33 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

Going to RMA the Powercolor card, must say prices did drop looking back I paid 475 for this powercolor card and now I just brought this Sapphire for 400.

Lets see what they will do, might just ask my moneis back or ask them to get me an other one of these sapphire cards. Though I wonder if my 850W psu would handle both in crossfire (seeing how power hungry these 7970 can be)

#34 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

The two camps being ATI and Nvidia will always have partial groups. The GTX 680 is more power than you will ever use. I think the textures are better with Nvidia. ATI right now has a card that except in one area but it is a monster and will also do the job. Pick the best price and look at Gigabytes it will run cooler than other Nvidia.

#35 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:27 AM

Might advice you to read through a topic first before you reply :)

Anyhow kinda annoyed, can't find the manual or driver disk from the powercolor card I need to RMA, hope they won't make to much of a fuz about that. Point 2 planetside 2 won't launch so can't even test this new card out :D

#36 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

There's always free software to test a new card out! Try the new 3dMark (the Fire Strike test looks amazing) or Unigine Heaven

Any idea why Planetside 2 is being stubborn?

Edited by Catamount, 14 March 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#37 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostCatamount, on 14 March 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

There's always free software to test a new card out! Try the new 3dMark (the Fire Strike test looks amazing) or Unigine Heaven

Any idea why Planetside 2 is being stubborn?

Planetside 2 is still not very well build on the techincal side of things and we just had a game update (big patch+content) which means they always will F it up ;) Got it to run briefly though, but clearly my OC on this new card was to much as it crashed, still have to find the stable range for this one. When I did get it running the first time though artifacts all over! however some one suggested update my MB bios so I did that and they where all gone!

I do wonder though just ran a single match of MWO and I had tons of flash graphics when moving around, mainly sortt of white/grey in triangular shape. Hope this is the game and not my GPU again!

Edited by Chiyeko Kuramochi, 14 March 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#38 Damocles 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostChiyeko Kuramochi, on 12 March 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Also use custom fan profiles if not already doing so, they help a little with themps and noise :)

As for the OC keep in mind you might not get 1150 or 1200 depending on the chip, I know people with the same type of card as me who couldn't go above the 1125, there is just no saying how far a chip can overclock as it depends on each separate chip.

yeah mine tops out at 1125

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users