Is House Steiner right for me?

48 replies to this topic

#1 Bindusara

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Posted Image

I write this both as a place for players who may be indecisive about which house to choose when the time comes for us to all finally meet inside the game, and for people who are looking advice on what position or mechs would work best for them (trying to keep the snark down as much as possible) . I know many of us here are every educated on the lore of the Battletech universe but there maybe someone who's looking over the forums hoping to get into this game that might not know as much, or is nervous about speaking up.

For those of you who have already chosen House Steiner, I invite you to open discourse with people in this forum. If someone comes in and wants to know of House Steiner is right for them and tells you their background, give an honest opinion of why they would or would not work well for the House and see what you can do to encourage them.

To get the ball rolling on this, I'm going to start by throwing myself under the Atlas and ask all of you: Is House Steiner right for me?

Forum Name: Bindusara

IRL Location: Austin, Tx

Battletech/Mechwarrior background: I started playing Battletech JUST before the release of Mechwarrior 2. My friends and I would play during our lunch period at school and sometimes after. Mechwarrior 2 changed everything for me. I've pretty much played everything from MW2 on, including the Commander and Assault games. I grew up watching Robotech and while not a "Battletech" background, I have played countless hours of Steel Battalion.

What I can bring to House Steiner: When I play online games, I go all in. I ran one of the largest and oldest Final Fantasy online clans for years. During my time there I practiced diplomacy with other clans, organized events for our clan and tried to make sure everyone was having a great time. From a skills perspective, I think my years of PC mech experience would serve the house well. I also am friends with other people on the forums (Sevronis) who I have worked with in other games that I think would be a boon to the house overall.

Play style: In a leadership position, calm and reserved. In the battlefield, aggressive (AC/20s <3).

Why am I not sure if Steiner is right for me: For years I played clan. It's what I'm used to playing (Jade Falcon), but I think variety is the spice of life I just didn't know if I'd be a good fit for Steiner.

Hope this thread helps out potential new recruits, and I look forward to seeing peoples suggestions.

-Bindy

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostBindusara, on 19 April 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Why am I not sure if Steiner is right for me: For years I played clan. It's what I'm used to playing (Jade Falcon), but I think variety is the spice of life I just didn't know if I'd be a good fit for Steiner.

Well, choosing their arch-enemies, or "exact opposite" will surely spice things up. I would suggest you somewhere else, but Steiners need someone like you more than the other house with same needs. :)

Good luck commanding those 400 ton scout groups. :P

#3 Bindusara

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

One of the reasons I decided to open this thread was to have this kind of discussion among soon-to-be players of the game. Not everyone will know right away which faction is best for them and hopefully the community could help them out.

#4 Sevronis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Well being aggressive on the battlefield is a good fit anywhere, as is leadership. Steiner and Davion were once united, so they are similar. The state of the two now seem to show that Davion has a stronger offense in regards to strength of arms, leading them to succeed more offensively and they also have a weaker nobility. Steiner is stronger economically as well as a stronger nobility and are now more defensive as opposed to how they were before Katherine Steiner-Davion was deposed as a result to her totalitarian aggressiveness. While both are basically under a Monarchy rule, they seem to cancel each other out. As a fellow Jade Falcon, I can attest to the value of honor and both at least do favor earning one's keep. Davion pretty much seems to require time in the military as a citizen, whereas Steiner is less strict on military power and prefers economical power. This does not mean their military is to be underestimated as higher economic power can lead to better technology and better defenses as well as offenses. For those who agree that honor is more important than luxury, at least luxury given by Steiner will just be an added bonus.

Draconis combine, while similar to Japanese culture, is highly strict in its military and are highly aggressive in conquest. Davion has a hatred brewed by the conquest of their territories by the Combine, but does not appear to be ultimately shared by Steiner, so conflict between Draconis and Davion will probably be more likely, with possibly some assistance from Steiner. This is all based on my own experiences with the houses as well as based on what I've already known about you boss-man. I may or may not be correct in everything. And while the Jade Falcons are in fact an enemy of House Steiner, its not like choosing to be one of the clans is an option...which sucks. There would be no debate about which one to choose at that point.

As for the rest of the houses I didn't mention, I don't know much about them, but neither had peaked my own interest enough to bother.

Edited by Sevronis, 19 April 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#5 Price2142

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationIdaho, Usa

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

This Is slightly off topic, but how does one officially join the house of Steiner?

#6 Jwhite

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Locationsouth of the mason dixon

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

If we pick a house are we limited to just that houses mechs when we start off ?

#7 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

View PostPrice2142, on 20 April 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

This Is slightly off topic, but how does one officially join the house of Steiner?

No way right now, but changing your avatar to the Steiner one and enlisting to some forming unit should gurantee you become one of them. Officially it happens the game starts and you make your character.

View PostJwhite, on 20 April 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

If we pick a house are we limited to just that houses mechs when we start off ?

Every house can buy every mech, it will be just slightly expensive. :D

#8 nubnub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCallison

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hi Bindusara,

I invite you and other potential Steiners to further investigate the values of our great house and the other houses before making your decision, hopefully independent of the bias shown here previously.

Learn the truth: Stainer, Davion, Kurita, Liao and Marik

You are in the advantageous position of being able to choose your house, and I believe that you as an individual have will gain the greatest rights and freedoms with house Steiner compared to other more oppressive houses.

Choose wisely

#9 KANE LIVES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 108 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTOTALLY not somewhere worshiping a toaster.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Steiner is right for everyone! As long as you like 100 ton mechs more than anything else, The Lyran Alliance would love to have you.

#10 Arturus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSummer, Skye Federation

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

I have been playing a Lyran since the old BT TT game in the early 80s...yes, the one with hex paper and cardboard/plastic stand 'Mech cutouts. We played Lyran back then and never looked back. House Steiner is an economic/technical dynamo in comparison to the other great houses, but does suffer from some in-fighting, political/court intrigues and not so ready for prime time leaders ^_^

It also has a rich nobility/court element, a separatist movement (Skye) which just makes it so dang fun...if you like some political intrigue on your time off from clobbering those other houses' puny 'Mechs, Steiner may be right for you!

In the end though...your call...go with your gut and join the merc unit/house that best suits you.

Enjoy.../tiphat!

#11 DangerRangerRex

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

What if I like heavy armor but assaults are too slow? Would Steiner still accept me?

#12 Manthony Higgs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, Washington, USA

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

I like big mechs and big guns. Steiner is really the only right option for me.

#13 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

Liao has big guns, too. When you have to compare different medival weapons with the primary tactic of a great house military.. the Hammer or Axe is the best fit for LCAF.. easy to doge but when you hit you break shields, armor and bones with ease.

#14 Exillian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I like steiner cuz I like cash their eco background lures me in.+ An Iron fist beats a sword anyday.

#15 Bindusara

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:52 AM

View PostHorizonKing, on 06 May 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

What if I like heavy armor but assaults are too slow? Would Steiner still accept me?

I think it would be important to have variety.

#16 Flame

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

Keep in mind that the Lyrans also produced the Commando, one of the most iconic of light 'Mechs. Despite our reputation and the efforts of "Social Generals" such as Thomas Hogarth, we do produce and use all sizes of 'Mechs, and have the resources to keep our forces running smoothly. There's no better-equipped army in the whole of the Inner Sphere, which convinced Hanse Davion that an alliance with us would benefit the Federated Suns worlds as much as it would benefit ours.

#17 Akaryu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

well if your a meathead assault mech enthusiast that doesnt mind shoddy intel and poor planning then steiner will suit you just fine

#18 Gucky

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:19 AM

When I started serving House Steiner I thought it would be the obvious choice because of my personal heritage. Over several years I got to know many players of all houses in different games but still Steiner is the one for me.

My personal experience of the houses:
If you need backstabbing -> House Marik
If you need quantity over quality -> House Davion
If you need high skill lance mates -> House Liao
If you need to feel different -> House Kurita
If you need death before dishonor -> House Steiner
Never had any experience with -> The Free Rasalhague Republic

Don't want to offend anyone with this remark but that is what I learned over several years.
Other players experience will most likely be different...

#19 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostGucky, on 11 May 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Never had any experience with -> The Free Rasalhague Republic

It is a faction of two opposing poles.

The first is made out of Clans, which want to be as close to the invasion as possible.
The second one is made out of loyalists. People who want to prove they can stop Clans.

It will form a very interesting faction while it lasts. ;)

#20 DangerRangerRex

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Well its time to stop being a merc, House Steiner it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users