Central Heads Problem

17 replies to this topic

#1 King Picollo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

If used a Catapult and now i have a Cataphract and there always seems to be an issue with a weakness to headshots.

I've used a Hunchback for ages and it's rarely an issue being hit with headshots as the cabin is in a harder to hit place.

Is there a case that for mechs with a more central torso head, the armour count on the head should be increased to reduce this weakness?

#2 Broad5ide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

people usually aim for your center of mass, so when you have a cockpit like that you get head-shot accidentally a lot more. but the frequency of head-shots on purpose should be about the same. Except for that catapult, it has a massive cockpit, easy to head-shot.

#3 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

I have 5 cataphracts i cant remember ever getting killed due to a headshot, my catapults on the other hand all the damn time.

#4 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

Catapults and Jagers are the victims of headshots the most, because of the placement of the cockpit and, in the case of the catapult, the size of the cockpit.

The Stalker and Cataphract don't suffer from this because their hitbox for the cockpit is incredibly small, barely bigger than that found on the Atlas.

#5 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

I've been using 'phracts a lot lately, and I don't think I've been head-shotted yet. Despite the central cockpit, the hitbox is fairly small, I've had an easier time head-shotting Hunches than 'phracts. Catapults, yes, we might as well have a paint job that puts crosshairs over the cockpit.

#6 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Catapult hitboxes:

Posted Image

Cataphract hitboxes:

Posted Image

So yeah, Catapults are a piece of **** to headshot. Cataphracts not so much.

#7 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Try testing it on the training grounds. You will be surprised at how tiny the Cataphract's cockpit is.

Catapults should have their cockpit sized reduced. As you can see from the picture above, they are even easier to head-shot from above.

#8 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yes, Catapults are easier to head shot from above - I make it a point to aim high on the torso along the cockpit when I'm in an assault mech and have the height advantage. A solid hit with a high-end weapon has a bad habit of decapitating the Catapult quickly from that angle - they really are too vulnerable to that type of kill, IMHO.

#9 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 21 July 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Yes, Catapults are easier to head shot from above - I make it a point to aim high on the torso along the cockpit when I'm in an assault mech and have the height advantage. A solid hit with a high-end weapon has a bad habit of decapitating the Catapult quickly from that angle - they really are too vulnerable to that type of kill, IMHO.

It is quite ridiculous, but last time it was proposed to reduce the ridiculous head hitbox we had a threadnaught about how that would be worse than 9/11 because:

a: In TT Catapults apparently have huge head hitboxes
b: Catapults 'should be punished for brawling' (Butterbee would like a word)
c: OMG AC/40 Cat! (Jaeger and Max Alpha mitigate this)
d: OMG Dual-Gauss Cat!
e: The Catapult has good torso twist, so needs a platformer-style Big Red Weakspot (despite the fact that high torso twist is applied to compensate for lack of lateral arm movement to all such mechs)

Oh, and of course the perennial forum favourite "I 'do fine' with XYZ so it's obviously right exactly as it is.".

#10 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Cataphracts don't get headshot often but Catapults still do. Also the Catapult did get a head hitbox reduction. I know this because it is 10x harder to get a headshot on a Catapult than it was back in beta. Now did they get enough of a reduction? Maybe not but it is likely just unfortunately placement.

#11 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 21 July 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Cataphracts don't get headshot often but Catapults still do. Also the Catapult did get a head hitbox reduction. I know this because it is 10x harder to get a headshot on a Catapult than it was back in beta. Now did they get enough of a reduction? Maybe not but it is likely just unfortunately placement.

I have noticed that the Catapult seems to have gotten a head hitbox adjustment one or two patches ago. Previously I might get headshot once a night, now I havent been headshot in weeks. I don't think it is due to the heat stack patch, because I want to say that it took affect the patch before.

I think PGI might have reduced the head hitbox, but increased the side torso hit boxes a tiny bit. It might just be me, but It seems that way.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 22 July 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

I have noticed that the Catapult seems to have gotten a head hitbox adjustment one or two patches ago. Previously I might get headshot once a night, now I havent been headshot in weeks. I don't think it is due to the heat stack patch, because I want to say that it took affect the patch before.

I think PGI might have reduced the head hitbox, but increased the side torso hit boxes a tiny bit. It might just be me, but It seems that way.

Just tested it out. The side panels are NOT part of the head hit box anymore. Only the 2 top/forward panels. Still larger than many, but that picture Gaan Cathal posted is outdated.

#13 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:34 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 July 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Just tested it out. The side panels are NOT part of the head hit box anymore. Only the 2 top/forward panels. Still larger than many, but that picture Gaan Cathal posted is outdated.

Interesting. Thanks for looking into it. I knew something had to have changed.

I know it doesn't sound like much of a change, but I had noticed a difference playing.

#14 Booran

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

I remember when Atlas eyes glowed and you fielded a Gauss on Forest Colony and just aimed for the right red dot across the map and that was one assault less to worry about.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostBooran, on 23 July 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

I remember when Atlas eyes glowed and you fielded a Gauss on Forest Colony and just aimed for the right red dot across the map and that was one assault less to worry about.

ah back in the glory days, when AC/20s and PPCs "sucked" (and in all fairness, the PPC sorta did) and "Gauss-a-Pults were the most "OP" and feared mech on the field. (and 9 small laser speed Hunches and Awesomes. Kinda glad actually that part changed. An Assault should not bedoing 90 with 8 pew pews as it's only armament and out gunning an Atlas with far more guns)

#16 King Picollo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Interesting, i hadn't realised the Cataphract had such i small head hitbox, i would have just assumed it would be the cabin area which is quiet large and central.

I have had a couple of headshots done on me though, must just be fluke hits, one minute i'm fine the next dropped like i was hot.

#17 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

"I can't remember being head shot in my phract" *sigh* you youngins. none of you remember the day the phract was released? lol.  it's head box was ALL the glass on the mech. Look at it.  All that glass was the cockpit. The day the cataphract launched was the first and only day I got 8/8 kills in a game. was in my HBK-4P, swayback. Cockpited all 8 phracts with one trigger pull (maybe two on a few).... never laughed so hard in my life. .. man they were mad.

Edited by Yiazmat, 23 July 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#18 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

The easiest thing to headshot?
Centurions standing still.
They have a pretty big hit area, it's just that if you miss you have a good chance to hit nothing at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users