Need clarification on MWO Premium vs. Beta Stat Reset

34 replies to this topic

#1 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

Vets and Elites get membership to Premium service, where they get more CBills and XP. And they gain access to the Beta on July 17th.

So, does Premium membership begin in Beta or does it only start once the game goes gold? If it is allowed in Beta, one would think that CBills and player/Mech XP would NOT be reset when their accounts go into Gold.

But if Premium is for Gold and later, then it's understandable that stats might be reset on all Beta players.

#2 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

There's another thread where a PGI'r clarified, there will be no wipes after July 17th.

#3 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

Another good question. Most betas I've ever been involved in did a hard reset when they we're done to avoid any unfair advantages to beta players, but usually gave the beta players some special reward (a skin, in League of Legend's case).

But due to Operation Inception, if July 17th is still the beta ("early access" implies that it is), then I would think that AT LEAST the Operation Inception players would get to keep all their goodies, otherwise what is the point of the premium membership being activated on the 17th if it just gets removed when the game starts? That would be a great way to **** off a lot of players.

#4 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

As Mal said, there will be no wipes after the 17th.

View PostRuss Bullock, on 22 May 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

The only thing I can state for sure at this point is that from July 17th onward there will no longer be any data wiping.

Its said here:http://mwomercs.com/...on/page__st__60

Edited by Carl Wrede, 31 May 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#5 Kazzamo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

Generally what I've seen with most F2P games is that there are no wipes once it hits Open Beta, and the game could still run in Open beta for years. It's a way to get players in and spending money to support the game while the devs are still saying there is still work to be done so if something has to change with (insert thing here) sorry but that's how it is.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

No wipes after July 17th. so, yes, those who get in on that date get a bit of a head start, and will retain their progress as the game progresses to open beta/launch.

We don't know how long the early access period will be for, though, and they are of course paying a hefty chunk of $$ for the privilege.

#7 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the clarification about no wiping after July 17th.

So, I can only assume that if "Founders Assets become available" then, that means that as of access into the beta on July 17th, our Premium Accounts are active, and the XP/Cbills we earn under premium bonuses stay with us.

Here's to hoping that Premium membership is reasonable and has bonuses with it, cause if so I can see making MWO the first (and only?) game I pay a subscription to.

#8 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 31 May 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

Thanks for the clarification about no wiping after July 17th.

So, I can only assume that if "Founders Assets become available" then, that means that as of access into the beta on July 17th, our Premium Accounts are active, and the XP/Cbills we earn under premium bonuses stay with us.

Here's to hoping that Premium membership is reasonable and has bonuses with it, cause if so I can see making MWO the first (and only?) game I pay a subscription to.

I'd guess it's probably the 'standard' MMO price of $15 a month..Even Star Trek Online went to that price after going F2P.

#9 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostMal, on 31 May 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

I'd guess it's probably the 'standard' MMO price of $15 a month..Even Star Trek Online went to that price after going F2P.

I can't see it being that steep. WOW charged that for access to a complete game with tons of quests. For just a XP/CB boost, that's kind of overpriced. But, I guess we'll find out down the line. The percentage would have to justify the cost.

#10 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 31 May 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

I can't see it being that steep. WOW charged that for access to a complete game with tons of quests. For just a XP/CB boost, that's kind of overpriced. But, I guess we'll find out down the line. The percentage would have to justify the cost.

A lot is probably going to depend on what is included in the premium membership post launch..

#11 Kazzamo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

For premium it'd also depend on if they give you cash shop money. If it's $15 a month but they give you $10 worth of cash shop with the XP/CB boost that's not bad. It really just depends on how they want to handle that.

#12 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

I don't think you will see subscription/repeating monthly premium at all. Think more like the LoL model, every individual item (characters, skins, boosts) is available a la carte, each with a separate price tag

#13 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostKazzamo, on 31 May 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

For premium it'd also depend on if they give you cash shop money. If it's $15 a month but they give you $10 worth of cash shop with the XP/CB boost that's not bad. It really just depends on how they want to handle that.

If so, I hope they have different degrees. Some people would like the boost with no MC (Mech Credits). Hopefully if they do a Premium Service, it comes with different grades.

$5/month = CB/XP Boost
$10/month = previous + misc bonus/feature + 30MC
etc.

View PostRedshift2k5, on 31 May 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

I don't think you will see subscription/repeating monthly premium at all. Think more like the LoL model, every individual item (characters, skins, boosts) is available a la carte, each with a separate price tag

Well, yeah. The "Premium" we were speaking of doesn't have to do with purchasing things through the store.

Whether you have Premium account or not, you can always buy ala carte from the store. The Premium status would just provide you with in-game bonuses (but nothing that would ever give you power, such as better weapons, armor, equipment, etc.) It would just be features of convenience, cosmetics, recognition, etc.

#14 Aelos03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

View PostMal, on 31 May 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

There's another thread where a PGI'r clarified, there will be no wipes after July 17th.

So that mens game starts at 17th july

#15 Kazzamo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 180 posts

The Operation Inception pre-order packs already confirm buying premium account months though.

#16 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostKazzamo, on 31 May 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

The Operation Inception pre-order packs already confirm buying premium account months though.

Right.. two months (or one)..but the announcement didn't seem real clear as to what is included in a premium account vs a free account. That difference is what would cause people to pay (or not to).

#17 Kazzamo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

That was more aimed at Redshift. Having premium months kinda says there will be a monthly premium option to me. As for what might be in it other than CB/XP boosts and what it might cost? Nobody really knows. Sorry I wasn't more clear about who that comment was at though.

#18 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostAelos03, on 31 May 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

So that mens game starts at 17th july

No, because the Operation Inception packs give EARLY access on July 17th.

#19 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

STO started out subscription of 15 a month then changed to free 2 play, but you still have to spend extra money on the better endgame ships. You can pay subscription of 15 a month and get a stipend of c points. Now you can earn some store money by grinding in game, but it is a looonnnggg grind to get just 1 end game ship. I have just tried playing STO totally free, not much difference in paid except for annoying things like fewer bridge officers slots and smaller inventory / bank, limit on currency holding, but you have to spend real money for an endgame ship. While STO was subscription only they were still charging extra c points for better ships, costumes and services, but you could have grinded for a good ship too.

Edited by Rodney28021, 31 May 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#20 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

They come with 30 and 60 days, respectively, of premium. This doesn't mean that there will be subscriptions or renewable monthly premium status as an item we can buy, and it doesn't mean there will be a '$15 per month for premium xp/c-bills plus some in-game-cash' as a purchasable package.

It doesn't mean there isn't, but FTP gaming is trending away from monthly repeating or renewable premiums, towards buying each item seperately (including buying limited-time xp or currency boosts)

mostly we just don't know anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users