170 replies to this topic

#161 Bobdolemite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMariana Trench

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

Read this whole post and thought id chime in. I agree totally with the OP, most of the LRM qq is simply post match rage. I have been victim to this at times, its not fun to get your *** kicked.

I run an LRM stalker that generates a lot of hate, 2x lrm 20 // 2x lrm 10 // 5 x ML // TAG (1440 ammo) Most of the people that fall to the LRMS sit out in the open, are brawling in the open with teammates, or are running directly at me over open ground. Even after the first salvos start to land and their mech is screaming "Incoming Missile" they still dont go for cover.

These players are easy to kill

On the other hand most matches I waste over half my ammo to ill or no effect on a smart opponent. Jenners, Ravens, Cicadas, even some centurions have the speed and maneuverability to basically dance around all your LRMS and them come and bring the fight to >180m . And its not just the aforementioned, while boating I have had my *** handed to me by a variety of different chassis across the board.

Through smart use of fast mechs, cover, teamwork, ECM, (Insert any valid tactic besides standing still) you can easily negate the advantage that the boats have. Especially one thats stupid enough to run without any short range stuff (lasers, srm etc)

LRMS offer a tactical advantage for sure, but that advantage is flimsy and situational at best. You as a player have to give up A LOT in order to "Boat" , a good player can make you pay for that decision. Theres a reason why I downgraded the engine so I could boat and pew pew at the same time. Even then I am now slo as balls.

(as to those talking about teams of LRM chuckers I define that as more of a problem with ELO and matchmaking than I do with any balance in the game. A team of LRM stalkers would be dangerous at 180-1000 meters but imagine how slow, hot, and fickle that team is. LOS their missilies and close you will eat fried stalker all night.)

#162 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

LRMS used to be fire and forget.

Now you you need to keep the lock.

Now there is ECM.

Lots of ways LRMS have been tamed.

They are one of the only weapons to dictate the flow of a battle more than any other instead of promoting childish tactics like running right at each other and hugging each others face.

There's a reason why you look both ways before crossing the street, instead of wandering out without looking, getting smacked by a bus. The bus in this case is a horde of LRM equipped mechs.

There's also a reason why so many stock variants have LRMs equipped and it's not just for boating.

Edited by PANZERBUNNY, 16 March 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#163 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostHamm3r, on 13 March 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

I said it in another thread, individually no I dont believe the LRMs are OP, easy to counter with the proper use of cover, now take that same LRM Stalker and add another 2-3 just like it on the same team all shooting at the same target. Ever had 4 different streams of LRM spam all converging on YOU.....

Given how easy it is to avoid LRM's if you stay near cover (particularly once you learn there are LRM boats around)... Poke out, wait for them to fire, duck into cover and take no damage.

Lather, rinse, repeat. You're now effectively tanking 4 enemy mechs. That means the teams are effectively 7v4 in your favor.

LRM's are not OP. They are kind of broken and doing extra damage when they do hit vs. some targets (existing acknowledged splash damage bug) but given that LRM's have an overall 30% hit rate among decent players... yeah. That's just not so OP.

View PostMavairo, on 16 March 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

Dying to LRMs is just like losing because of an early cap.
You lost and died because of your own failings.

And this is exactly why it enrages people so much, and why accusations of OP fly willy-nilly.

People don't want to admit that they screwed up, it must be the weapon.

It's definitely been my experience that you can tell your Elo bracket by how many people are killed by LRM's.

View PostHamm3r, on 13 March 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

Haha! Yea if you are lucky enough to get behind a building in time! But say for arguments sake your in the middle of a Brawl on Alpine, or your capping a point on Caustic, its not always as simple as run and hide. One maybe two shooting at you, Ok easy enough to manage, but when its 3 or 4, its pretty much instagib in those cases.

Capping a point? Use the base as an LRM shield. They work well for that.

Edit: Enemy has a crossfire set up so you can't get cover at the cap point? That's just your team's failing, and again has nothing to do with the specific weapon.

Edited by Wintersdark, 16 March 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#164 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostFrDrake, on 13 March 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

I told my team that the LRM boat had no backup weapons and was a sitting duck if any of them had helped me he would have been out of the game with no problems. If they wanted to run in circles in the middle of open terrain and not kill the LRM guy then it was their fault. No one responded but it struck me that these are the types of people who come here and complain about LRMs, instead of just adjusting their tactics to the situation at hand.

Yup you hit it on the head there, LRM are supposed to be dangerous, and doubly so if you're dealing with a boat. The beauty of dealing with a boat is they're generally useless at defending themselves. Once people start to use their brains (I know, too much to ask from some people) they'll realize how to deal with them. I've more then once tried to deal with an LRM Boat, only to have his friends come back to help, while my PUGmates couldn't have been bothered.

#165 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostKylere, on 13 March 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

LRMS are only as OP as your opponent is dumb.

But, that said, they rip up dumb opponents like nothing else.

If you're in a brawl and you have 4 streams of LRMs targeted on you RUN INTO THE RED ICONS.

#166 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostPhoenix Gray, on 16 March 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

If you're in a brawl and you have 4 streams of LRMs targeted on you RUN INTO THE RED ICONS.

Using your enemy as cover is something people should do more often.

#167 Sheraf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

Atlas is great cover for allied and enemy alike.

#168 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostKraven Kor, on 13 March 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

Go after the LRM boat, get eaten by brawlers.

Focus on brawlers, get eaten by LRM boat.

*shrug*

Sounds almost like a battlefield.

#169 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

NEW FROM PGI — The WAM-4X WAAAAHMBULANCE.  75 tons 340XL, 0 armor except for the big red crosses, hardpoints for six teddy bears.  The perfect backup for any MWO player who's ever been shot back at and hit.

MC10/Cbills 15,000,003

Edited by Phoenix Gray, 16 March 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#170 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

LRMs are not OPed, they never do any damage to good players and boating them is a terribly foolish build.

Which is why nobody ever uses them and they never kill anyone.

That sort of ridiculous argument cracks me up. LRMs are far easier to use even passably well than brawling or sniping. They do more damage for the effort than any other weapon, even SRMs. They do more for your KDR and because of the amount of damage they do even without kills generate more revenue for their users in cbills and XP.

Less damage, more speed, less maneuverable. Make them a skill based weapon on par with all the direct fire weapons. Currently they are not. They're an imbalanced weapon that effort has been made to balance via other imbalanced additions to the game.

ECM - slow, not block missiles. Block benefits of TAG, NARC, Artemis, BAP. Make TAG, NARC, BAP better.
LRMs - faster, less damage. Considerably faster, considerably less damage. Like 300 kph instead of 100 and 1.0 damage instead of 1.8. Remove 'incoming missile' warning and replace with 'missile lock', so you get the warning when you're locked not when they're launched. Suddenly they're no better or worse than any direct fire weapon. useful for indirect fire but useless within 180m.
SSRMs - dumbfire within ECM range.
AMS - triple rate of fire to compensate for triple speed.

Better game. Better balance. Boating LRMs less viable, everyone on your team having LRMs to allow indirect fire from anywhere within 1000m of an allies position a good idea. Since ECM doesn't totally block LRMs they are in many ways more effective, not less, as a support weapon.

#171 Salis777

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:18 AM

Just wanted to bump this and laugh. Always nice to know everyone knows what they're talking about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users