163 replies to this topic

#1 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Why is this being done? With the new savior and other bonuses there ever less reason to go for turbo cap.

XP farming is stupid, don't people want the money more? I know I sure do.

If it is being done to quickly end River City Night, the capper will only find his reward the same map repeated next map. Where is TDM? Where is true base attack/defend mode?

Edited by Spheroid, 13 March 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#2 Star Colonel Mustard Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

I do it because it's easier to kill people when they come lumbering in one at a time. And because 75% of pugs are too stupid to turn their mechs around and defend.

#3 Congzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 13 March 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

Where is true base attack/defend mode?

You already have it, I guess you better start defending your base.

#4 Jasen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

In other news: Understanding objective based game-modes and playing defense is on the decline.

#5 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostAstroniomix, on 13 March 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

I do it because it's easier to kill people when they come lumbering in one at a time. And because 75% of pugs are too stupid to turn their mechs around and defend.

Yes after watching everyone mill around literally bumping into each other in base even if you run off and GIVE a damn direction, no one turns. So the team that didn't waste two minutes derping around just goes and stands in the base, and your teams just watches.

...drives me nuts, its not like there is ANY damn place on that map you can't move an atlas to intercept. Its just stupid play

#6 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

If your team is practically all heavies and assaults, you really should expect a more mobile team to primarily go for the capture because only a silly person would order a 400 ton team to fight straight up against a 600+ ton team.

#7 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Capping is a legitimate tactics. If it can bring a few enemy mechs from the front, that can steer a match towards victory.

#8 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Why is this being done? With the new savior and other bonuses there ever less reason to go for turbo cap.

If it is being done to quickly end River City Night, the capper will only find his reward the same map repeated next map. Where is TDM? Where is true base attack/defend mode?

One obnoxious habit is of people rushing straight off of base in a direction with the idea they know they're going to run straight into the enemy. Expecting it. Not doing anything but a full rush charge. Even if 2 or 3 people on the other team smarten up to work around that (going through the park instead of going "upper city")...

Anyway, I digress.

#9 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostCongzilla, on 13 March 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

You already have it, I guess you better start defending your base.

That is really not what Battletech was ever about. Where in the boardgame would you have two equally valuable targets on the same mapsheet?

One side defended a target and the other was the attacker. The planetary militia would defending some high value target against attack or they themselves would chase a lance back to a dropship to destroy it before it lifted offworld. If you were playing an open mapsheet it was merely an abstraction of two forces intercepting each other before coming to a populated area.

Edited by Spheroid, 13 March 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#10 InMidnightClad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 143 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles CA. USA

I like to run with a group of 4 fast lights.

Run in for the cap once the enemy makes it to about mid map.

At this point a handful of mechs will turn around and run outnumbered back to defend where they are promptly wolfpacked to death by a well coordinated team of lights. Leaving the other enemies to either turn around and follow them into the killing field or continue to advance on our base and be out capped.

#11 BlackWidow

• 1,182 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

View PostJasen, on 13 March 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

In other news: Understanding objective based game-modes and playing defense is on the decline.

F'ing love this.

#12 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostJasen, on 13 March 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Defense is pretty much a false economy in most pug games. Even if you leave a couple mechs back, your front line is now fighting short so the defense end just gets to deal with being WAY outnumbered.

......and trying to get pugs to actually stop and SIT somewhere is like herding cats, hence all of the "LRM IS OVERPOWERED!!11!!!!" post.

When EVERY damn map in the game has numerous places where LRM can't get to you and you pull them in.

.....nope to much patience NOT FUN.....but then WHY AM I LOSING!

#13 WolvesX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

If you leave our base without cover, you deserve to lose.

Edited by WolvesX, 13 March 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#14 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostBlue Boutique, on 13 March 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Capping is a legitimate tactics. If it can bring a few enemy mechs from the front, that can steer a match towards victory.

But if they complete the cap it is not a case of distraction. Only one mech need remain to finish an nearly complete cap. Why so much turbo cap instead of beating the remaining team to death more reward?

#15 Rigiroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 350 posts
  • LocationValhala

I cap when the enemy team hopelessly outweighs me.

#16 FrDrake

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

I did it when leveling my spiders, I chose assault and forced the cap, alot. Those bad spider variants are so hard to get xp in that it was worth it to me to try for the cap xp + win just so I could get out of those deathtraps.

#17 Rylant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Honestly, I don't see fast capping too often as being a problem; it happens sometimes, but most of the time the matches are filled with standard fights which most people play the game for. River City is a map which is particularly bad for fast caps because of the layout. If one team goes upper and the other team goes lower, a lot of times there is nothing you can do about a fast cap game because by the time you realize that the other team went the other way, it's too late.

#18 I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Summary of OP: I know its "strategic" to defend one's base or resources, but I dont wanna!! Id rather rush off, leave my base undefended, and then cry on the forums about how badly that ended for me. It's all your fault community!!! Not mine!! I'm pro!

#19 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostSteemship, on 13 March 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

I cap when the enemy team hopelessly outweighs me.

Or Alpine, if I'm near the base and there are three of them left, I'm capping it off, I can't be bothered to go hunt everyone down.

#20 NitroDev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationMom's Basement

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

I'm no good at tic tac toe or checkers either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users