• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 13 March 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

GG is a show of good sportsmanship.

There's a difference between saying something and actually meaning it. Context is everything.

For instance, sometimes IRL people say "sorry" but actually mean the opposite. The same is true for a lot of people who say "gg" after an 8:0 rickroll. Some of them are genuinely showing good sportsmanship but a lot of them are just being asshats. This is especially true when they add in stuff like "close one" or "thought you guys had us." It's just rubbing salt in the wound.

Edited by FupDup, 13 March 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#22 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

What is an acceptable comment at the end of a lopsided match?

If even the mildest "gg" comment is considered rude, how can anyone express any sort of sportsmanship?

#23 Haegir

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

TL;DR QQ

#24 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

I kind of agree with OP.
Saying GG for an 8-0 win? =\ c'mon. No it wasn't.

I like to think GG is sportsman like to say when it was good for both teams, and not just the one that did the steamrolling?
While it IS a game, it's interaction with people and I like to keep the peace and respect between players.

When people say GG from the winning 8-0 team, i tend to say "meh" or "not really". I think people just say GG when it's 8-0 because they like to feel some how superior to or overruling other people, much like how many people have been saying GG to OP in this thread, knowing/hoping that it'll get on his nerves even more, completely ignoring the point of the thread and disrespecting the OP.

Anyways... it bugs me too, but you can't change how some people are naturally born insensitive or disrespectful. It takes a hard punch to make a big dent.

#25 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Alot of the matches I've been in since Elo have been 8-0 to 8-2 but also been incredibly close. Mechs on the winning team walking around like cored zombies held together with string and a bit of luck. The only time I don't say GG is if it's a true steamroll because I know it will upset the other team, but I will say GG to an individual who fought their *** off.

#26 Helbourne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

You mean to tell me GG does not mean "giggity giggity" :o

:D :P :D

#27 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 13 March 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

If even the mildest "gg" comment is considered rude, how can anyone express any sort of sportsmanship?

How about something that isn't made up of only two letters? The fact that it takes almost no effort to say "gg" is one of the reason it can come off rude.

#28 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 March 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

I kind of agree with OP.
Saying GG for an 8-0 win? =\ c'mon. No it wasn't.

I like to think GG is sportsman like to say when it was good for both teams, and not just the one that did the steamrolling?
While it IS a game, it's interaction with people and I like to keep the peace and respect between players.

When people say GG from the winning 8-0 team, i tend to say "meh" or "not really". I think people just say GG when it's 8-0 because they like to feel some how superior to or overruling other people, much like how many people have been saying GG to OP in this thread, knowing/hoping that it'll get on his nerves even more, completely ignoring the point of the thread and disrespecting the OP.

Anyways... it bugs me too, but you can't change how some people are naturally born insensitive or disrespectful. It takes a hard punch to make a big dent.

It is hard to determine intent with such a short written statement. "GG" could be used mockingly, or sincerely. I suggest that you take "GG" as a show of good sportsmanship, the failure to do so seems (to me, at least) to be a projection of your own personality and they way you would use "GG" to mock instead of as the token of respect that others may mean it.

#29 JeepStuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostDavers, on 13 March 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

In most sports, even if it is a rout, you shake your opponent's hand after the match. You give the other team respect for taking the field, win or lose. It's called 'sportsmanship'.

Exactly.

For example, my three year old plays soccer. After every game the kids line up and give high fives and say good game. There was no hard fought anything. No close game. No real scoring at all to be honest. Hell, you're lucky if they kick the ball at all, and it's a bonafide miracle if they kick it in the right direction. Still, we teach them to say good game.

Sorry if you didn't play soccer as a kid. But it's never too late to learn!

#30 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

View PostNoth, on 13 March 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

How about something that isn't made up of only two letters? The fact that it takes almost no effort to say "gg" is one of the reason it can come off rude.

That is a fair point, but in the age of texting and short-hand abbreviations I say you should accept the "gg" for what it *may* be rather than ascribe a meaning to it out of a possible sense of frustration.

Edit: I have also felt that a "gg" was meant in a mocking tone in several matches, but I have also said gg in several games that I felt were hard fought even though the scoreboard showed a rout. I truly do try to take any coment as good sportsmanship unless it is pretty obvious that they are being jerks. And I agree that "gg close" is usually used to mock.

Edited by Tickdoff Tank, 13 March 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#31 Particle Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

How about you just get over your ******** and learn some sportsmanship and act like an adult?

nah! just come cry about it on the forums!

#32 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Agreed, something a little more sincere like good fight, or even type out good game. or if you had a good duel with someone say it in chat..
But I think Tickdoff Tank is talking about extremes, if an 8-0 win is rude to say gg, then is a 8-1 better? 8-2? when is it not considered rude? My answer is basically when it's obvious that it was actually a good game. People from either side has said GG when it was a 8-3 win.. so who knows. I guess if I feel like the team I'm on tried hard, and the other team pulled some awesome strategy, I even say GG if the other team wins with 8-0. Honestly they killed us efficiently and did a good job of it, but I can't help think about "is it really when i'm on a team potentially with all pugs, and they have a 4 man?" If that suspicion was removed, I think it'd be a lot better since either side is a little more fairly balanced.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 13 March 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#33 Tyler Durden

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

You nailed it. I guess the OP wants us to tell him he sucks at the end of a perceived bad match. Nothing else will suffice. :/

#34 CheezPanther

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Thats hard to say.. The reality of it is that IRL u can see the opponents face and can tell if words of sportsmanship are warrented.. And then u can usually have an idea what to say lookin at them.

When i'm on a team and we ridiculously roflstompr cause we had an unbalanced match (ie we got 3 or more 3L's and some a1's, 4 D-DC's, ... etc... ) then I feel sorry for them cause i knew they didnt really stand a chance.. I'll acutally apologize for the MM giving them such a crap battle.

Sometimes silence is better than anything at all.. Part of it is knowing when not to say anything at all. I've had coaches that would remind us after we waffle the other team to just shake thier hands and head back to the locker room.. to save the celebrating for back there..

#35 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 13 March 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

Op, you know that sometimes the scoreboard doesnt accurately depict the diffuculty of the game played right?

View PostDavers, on 13 March 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

In most sports, even if it is a rout, you shake your opponent's hand after the match. You give the other team respect for taking the field, win or lose. It's called 'sportsmanship'.

This. I've been apart of games where I've won 8-0 and nearly dead, as are my teammates. The game could have gone one way or the other, but we got one key mech down before they got one of ours. Then the domino effect happens as our team can focus fire alot more for each enemy that goes down.

This actually happens quite frequently. But players seem to only focus on what they are doing and what the end score is. There's so much more going on than that. Of course thats when you become a true Vet, is when you can discern what is going on and have the situational awareness to see whats coming and whats happening.

As far as saying 'GG'. Its a term used since the old days of the late '90s. Some of us older guys are still around, get used to it.

#36 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Well, you ARE trying to get it in before everyone disconnects...

#37 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 March 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Agreed, something a little more sincere like good fight, or even type out good game. or if you had a good duel with someone say it in chat..
But I think Tickdoff Tank is talking about extremes, if an 8-0 win is rude to say gg, then is a 8-1 better? 8-2? when is it not considered rude? My answer is basically when it's obvious that it was actually a good game. People from either side has said GG when it was a 8-3 win.. so who knows.

Honestly, my main issue with gg is that it is just flat out over used. It has lost all meaning to me, thus is not sincere to me ever.

#38 ragingmunkyz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostCheezPanther, on 13 March 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

You just dont go up to someone who's left dying after a huge slaughter of a massacre (100's dead to u losing only like 5) and kneel down and tell him good fight before he dies.. YOU JUST DONT.. Why because it wasent even close..

But it wasn't a fight, and no one is dying, its a video game. The operative word there being "game," it is always good sportsmanship to say something like good game after any game, be it a landslide victory or hotly contested one. I have no idea where you grew up or what sports you played, but I played a lot of them, and we always said good game, win or lose, no matter how close it was. In fact I kind of get the impression you never played sports, or if you did, I think you were a poor sport. If someone beat my team and then just walked off the field without a word or a second look, I'd take that much more personally.

I think you're missing the intended purpose of "gg." It's not a comment on how good the game actually was or was not, it's more a way of remind both sides that it really was just a game, and a way to show mutual respect for each others efforts, regardless of the outcome.

You're taking things too literally, too personally, and too seriously. To everyone reading this thread, please keep saying good game no matter what.

Edit:

View PostCheezPanther, on 13 March 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

just shake thier hands and head back to the locker room.. to save the celebrating for back there..

"gg" is the video game equivalent of a handshake. If you're taking it as a celebration, well...

Edited by ragingmunkyz, 13 March 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#39 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

View PostCheezPanther, on 13 March 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Because most matches are 8-0 8-1 8-2.. AND these are not good games... If your team steamrolls then just walk away.. If u wanna say GG say it to your team only..

I dont care if its just something u always have to say.. IT's not sportsman ship if it's just something u feel obligated to say outta habit.. Because then u get the bad habit of saying it when you shouldnt..

You just dont go up to someone who's left dying after a huge slaughter of a massacre (100's dead to u losing only like 5) and kneel down and tell him good fight before he dies.. YOU JUST DONT.. Why because it wasent even close..

IF less than half your team is left standing as you are victorious then it was a hard fought match and indeed a good match. Otherwise you pretty much just stomped the other team and saying GG is like grinding your boot in thier face..

Saying good game to an opponent in a closely contested match is good.. But when u totally beat the snot out of them you just dont say anything.. You dont.. Why because it was not good in the slightest for them.. They already feel frustrated and bad no need to make them feel worse by letting them know you had a good or great game..

I'm just tired of hearing it after my team gets slaughterd for many dumb reasons, most often of which is the matchmaker screwing us over

TL:DR If u really feel the need to keep saying it.. just congratulate your team only on the 8-0 8-1 8-2 matches then.. Praise the other team of a hard fought battle when it was indeed a close one..

Actually I usually believe in being a gracious winner and loser. I say GG most games regardless the outcome. Sorry you feel so sad and angry.

#40 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 442 posts

What's wrong with trying to be a good sport?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users