Quit It With The Gg At Match End..

66 replies to this topic

#41 INSEkT L0GIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

When steamrolled, GG means Ghastly ********, or something similar.

#42 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostCrockdaddyAoD, on 13 March 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Actually I usually believe in being a gracious winner and loser. I say GG most games regardless the outcome. Sorry you feel so sad and angry.

He just mad cuz he bad, its not even about the GGs

#43 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I would also like to point out that I am almost always on the crap end of the stick when it comes to lopsided matches, I would hazard a guess that I have a vastly lower W/L rating than just about anyone in this game, but I still try to be a good sport about getting my teeth kicked in.

Edit: I will further comment (whether you want me to or not, lol) that in my professional life I am *frequently* in rather horrific situations and I have learned to take the extreme reactions of people with a kind of studied acceptance. You can not survive as a paramedic for 15 years (in a major city and then in Iraq and Asscrackistan as a military contractor) without developing a very thick skin. That may make it easier for me to shrug off the mockery as opposed to others.

Edited by Tickdoff Tank, 13 March 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#44 Allister Rathe

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationEast Bay, California

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Don't get mad a video games bro. It's just not worth it. If you think someone is being an asshat saying GG at the end of a steamroll, fine, let him be an asshat. What possible impact does it have on your life or gaming experience?

Sometimes you get rolled. Sometimes people are jerks. It's part of playing a multiplayer game on the internet, so no sense getting all riled up about it. Your energy can be spent in much more constructive ways.

Edited by Allister Rathe, 13 March 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#45 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 13 March 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

It is hard to determine intent with such a short written statement. "GG" could be used mockingly, or sincerely. I suggest that you take "GG" as a show of good sportsmanship, the failure to do so seems (to me, at least) to be a projection of your own personality and they way you would use "GG" to mock instead of as the token of respect that others may mean it.

Care to explain the attitude then of all the posters in this thread who mockingly said GG to OP or made fun of him? The fact that he's seeing it not as a sportsman like way makes him deserving of humility? Maybe OP is right, and the posters thrown all hope that GG is sincere out the window.

But what Noth said, I think it's just over used. If it was used a little less freely, i think it would still have some sort of meaning.
However, I did play a game last night where it was me against another, i downed him, i died 10 seconds later from a surprise attack and everyone in the game were talking. At the end of the match someone said "that was a really nice friendly game..."
it kind of made me wonder about his view on most MWO games. It's not every game you see someone say that, so even though people are saying GG, when people go out of their way to make a point like that, GG isn't doing much, and most of the games seem or feel to be quite hostile...
I dunno, just an observation though.

#46 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

View PostTyler Durden, on 13 March 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

You nailed it. I guess the OP wants us to tell him he sucks at the end of a perceived bad match. Nothing else will suffice. :/

This is silly. If after a stomp a winning team member says "GG" I would like to ask them "what made it a good game for you?" If they could answer that question with specific elements of the match that were good then I could appreciate that and I would suggest the winner then says whatever that answer is instead of "GG". After a stomp "GG" seems insincere because it expresses no fact and its a ritualized expression that does not actually comment on the reality of events as they occurred. I would simply ask those that comment "GG" what they get out of it for the effort? - what effort you ask? EXACTLY.

#47 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

No, the OP is actually right.

While it's not the end of the world, it is quite annoying. I don't think GG means what people think it means. It means "good game," and in a one-sided steamroll, that's not what you would call a good game, you'd say it's uneven, or a poor match-up, but not a good game. It equates to an NBA all stars team mercilessly beating a junior school basketball team, which is not a good game.

#48 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostINSEkT L0GIC, on 13 March 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

When steamrolled, GG means Ghastly ********, or something similar.

I am dying to know what follows "Ghastly".

#49 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostEJT, on 13 March 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Exactly.

For example, my three year old plays soccer. After every game the kids line up and give high fives and say good game. There was no hard fought anything. No close game. No real scoring at all to be honest. Hell, you're lucky if they kick the ball at all, and it's a bonafide miracle if they kick it in the right direction. Still, we teach them to say good game.

Sorry if you didn't play soccer as a kid. But it's never too late to learn!

Was everyone who played soccer and had to shake hands at the end hyped up and smiles on their faces? Granted, that happens. But, I played baseball for 4 years in my teens and you could tell when people just did not want to. Their shoulders are slumped, instead of shaking they just hang their hand out and slap yours, players say "good game" every time they shake or high five, but there's players that think it wasn't and don't say anything, their faces are blank, as they pass you they don't look at you when they make contact. Those people I remember, and I wonder if they remember me, as my team had a glowing look on their faces for totally walloping them, i tried to express a look of sincerity on my face that I respected them for playing with us, win or lose. I don't need to rub it in their faces "-HYA!! WE WONNNNNNN WE WOOON .. GOOD GAAAME, LOOOOOOSEEEEERS" :P :D :D

You can say GG, but like the point of this thread is that it's not being meant in the way that it should be. I think we should preserve that, at least.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 13 March 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#50 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostMoromillas, on 13 March 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

No, the OP is actually right.

While it's not the end of the world, it is quite annoying. I don't think GG means what people think it means. It means "good game," and in a one-sided steamroll, that's not what you would call a good game, you'd say it's uneven, or a poor match-up, but not a good game. It equates to an NBA all stars team mercilessly beating a junior school basketball team, which is not a good game.

Yet the NBA players and the Junior team would still line up, shake hands and say "Good Game"

edit: for a response to the post above me

You can say GG, but like the point of this thread is, it's not being meant in the way that it should be. I think we should preserve that, at least.

I guess it come down to this: You can look at the "gg" as an expression of superiority over your team, a mocking statement meant to rub in your loss, or you can accept it as a show of good sportsmanship, even you if was not offered as such. In an on-line game where you can not see the opposing players expressions and body language the interpretation of the "gg" is up to you. I suggest that you either take it as an appreciation for the preceding match, or ignore it. But getting upset over it shows as much about yourself as it does about the person offering it.

Edited by Tickdoff Tank, 13 March 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#51 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Honestly, after all my years of online gaming, it's pure force of habit to GG unless it really wasn't a good game. It really is like the handshake--a show of respect for the effort and dedication, whatever happened.

I'll still GG, and I'll still mean it, and if you don't like it, don't read it.

#52 LittleGrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

OP have you played much team sport? I played field hockey for around 8 years, just because it's a 4-nil score doesn't mean it wasn't a close game. A disallowed goal, a fluke shot, these things can determine a game that is otherwise tooth and nails.

The same thing applies here in MWO, a mech with a almost cored CT may fall back behind teammates and as a team loses more mech's it becomes harder and harder to kill anything. The winning team in a 8-0 steamroll might have 4+ mechs in the red(I know I have been at times) but you wouldn't know cos they fell back behind healthy mechs.

GG.

#53 White Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hard to tell whether people are being sarcastic or not over text chat.

If it's close then gg should be fine.

lopsided games...maybe its best not to say anything at all

#54 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

gotta love when a man who preaches " use the ultimate cheese builds" gets his *** handed to him and the other team is polite enuff to say GG that it would offend him....
dont make me meme you..
get off our collective lawns and bridges with this BS

#55 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 13 March 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Yet the NBA players and the Junior team would still line up, shake hands and say "Good Game"

That doesn't mean it was a good game. It is a habit and basically a ritual. You say it even if you don't mean it. And on an online game you can't see the reactions of the players, thus you lose all unspoken meaning, thus extra effort you put in such as saying more than GG means a crap ton more than just saying just GG because of habit.

Edited by Noth, 13 March 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#56 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 13 March 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Probably yeah, but I doubt any of them would actually think it was a good game more than an uneven match-up.

Also seriously doubt people would cram for front row seats to this "good game."

#57 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'm kind of torn. I've been using it more often, as I am a fan of sportsmanship, whether I win or lose, but I also played in SC2, where gg was usually said by the loser first, as a sign of respect. If the winner said it before the loser, it was just them indicating that they wanted the match to end.

At the same time, I think the OP might miss that, even though it may seem incencere, the point of good sportsmanship is you follow it. In the case of handshakes, the losing team might not think it was worth it, but they shake hands all the same, for the sake of tradition and sportsmanship, regardless of how automatic it is or not.

The point is that it's said, over not saying anything at all. That's the whole idea of sportsmanship; to facilitate a polite exchange between players.

I think we need to develop our own end game saying to perhaps alleviate this percieved snobbery, as I see the sentiment often. Perhaps "thanks for the game," or "I raise my glass to you" or MOAR dakka!" I dunno. I still think we as a community should create our own end game sportsmanship saying.

#58 CheezPanther

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 March 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Care to explain the attitude then of all the posters in this thread who mockingly said GG to OP or made fun of him? The fact that he's seeing it not as a sportsman like way makes him deserving of humility? Maybe OP is right, and the posters thrown all hope that GG is sincere out the window.

But what Noth said, I think it's just over used. If it was used a little less freely, i think it would still have some sort of meaning.
However, I did play a game last night where it was me against another, i downed him, i died 10 seconds later from a surprise attack and everyone in the game were talking. At the end of the match someone said "that was a really nice friendly game..."
it kind of made me wonder about his view on most MWO games. It's not every game you see someone say that, so even though people are saying GG, when people go out of their way to make a point like that, GG isn't doing much, and most of the games seem or feel to be quite hostile...
I dunno, just an observation though.

I'd have to bet alot of them are obivous trolls. You know the kind.. Thier @sshats who would just have to go GG to be smug and rub it in..

If someone wants to offer sincere words then they can take the last few seconds of the game to say something more than GG.. That is if they arent too busy taking fire.. With alot of games being lopsided wins then there is the time before the last kill to offer up your sincerety.. I would take things said in the closing seconds way more sincere than after the last kill. Why becuase they took time to stop piloting and write something more than GG..

#59 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'm going to say GG whenever I want to. So, what are you going to do about it?

It's an aspect of sportsmanship. IF people are misusing the phrase/acronym to mock, it doesn't change what it is, nor how most of us seem to mean it.

Of course, this entire thread gives PGI all the more reason to include a /ignore chat mechanic of some kind, which I dearly wish they would do.

#60 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostEJT, on 13 March 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Exactly.

For example, my three year old plays soccer. After every game the kids line up and give high fives and say good game. There was no hard fought anything. No close game. No real scoring at all to be honest. Hell, you're lucky if they kick the ball at all, and it's a bonafide miracle if they kick it in the right direction. Still, we teach them to say good game.

Sorry if you didn't play soccer as a kid. But it's never too late to learn!

Yeah, they also give them all trophies. Not to knock your kid or his enjoyment of the game, but I don't think kid's soccer is really the best example. I generally consider the attitude behind the way they do things to be detrimental to the emotional growth of the kids involved.

I don't get mad if someone says it, but I only consider it good sportsmanship if offered from the losing team or in response to same. Or if it was a well-fought game by both sides, regardless of outcome. If it was a complete roll, and coming from the winning side, I generally assume the player to be a douchebag. Maybe it's just a side-effect of the number of people that intentionally use it sarcastically, but that's how it comes off, whether you mean it that way or not.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users