Film Grain - Good Or Bad?

27 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like the film grain effect? (127 member(s) have cast votes)

Does the film grain effect make the visuals better or worse?

1. Better (2 votes [1.57%])

Percentage of vote: 1.57%

2. Worse (125 votes [98.43%])

Percentage of vote: 98.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

So my team got rolled today and the last surviving teammate went and powered down to avoid a pointless death. I don't blame him at all. However it let me really spend a minute or two really admiring the graphics and landscape, the shadow effects, even snowfall.

Without film grain I think the game would be gorgeous but with it... well, it just degrades everything. Like having the resolution turned down a notch or two. Film grain in night vision or thermal maybe but regular? I want to see all the pretty things they made. It turns cockpit shake from explosions to even movement into just a pixel blur.

I feel this is unfortunate. Am I alone? Anyone else think the game would look better in regular (non-vision mode) view without the film grain effect?

Edited by MischiefSC, 14 March 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#2 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Yes or No answers to a multiple choice question makes my head hurt.

#3 von Pilsner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

I wish I had a time machine so I could show you the old MWO film grain...

It was awful!!!

#4 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

I like the question and the answers to it. You might want to take a second look on it and either rephrase the question or change the answers. ;)

#5 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

I personally do not like the effect. I can see why it's in (to cover the rough edges in texture pop in and map/mech design). Still don't like it. I'm one of the few who would prefer a lower definition game overall that is clear and well designed within its limitations - pop in and partially complete/poorly implemented 'fancy graphics features', which usually take far more processing capability than they should, almost never make me go 'ooooooh ahhhhhhh'.

#6 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostMonky, on 14 March 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

I personally do not like the effect. I can see why it's in (to cover the rough edges in texture pop in and map/mech design). Still don't like it. I'm one of the few who would prefer a lower definition game overall that is clear and well designed within its limitations - pop in and partially complete/poorly implemented 'fancy graphics features', which usually take far more processing capability than they should, almost never make me go 'ooooooh ahhhhhhh'.

LOD pop-in is a real immersion (and gameplay) killer!!!

I used to play Cliffs of Dover (flight sim) and they could not fix draw distance issues to save their lives... ;)

#7 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Anything that obscures one's vision is bad.

#8 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

lol. Yeah, I fixed the 'yes/no' part.

The graphics can be amazing - just so freaking grainy. The volumetric smoke, the audio/visual of ACs firing on Cataphracts, LRM fire from A1s missile pods, it's all incredible - just that the film grain is part of why nobody actually ever sees it. May as well just use thermal. That's not going to change with nerfing thermal. Regular visuals are so degraded by any amount of distance and it all seems so pixilated you may as well just use a vision mode.

Let us enjoy the pretty game!

#9 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

It doesn't look as grainy as it used to be back in closed beta, (in fact I can't notice it) but you can still have depth of field... (which bugged me even more than the film-grain)
For the record, I don't like both film grain or depth of field.
My post-processing slider is set to low to disable the depth of field, and I've applied that fix that you're not supposed to do to my engine folder. It makes the game a lot clearer. the DOF and film grain is like wiping sandy vaseline in your eye. lol maybe not that extreme, but it does bug me.

If we really want to talk about visuals that look bad, it's that damned HDR lighting effect that turns your screen black from something bright. Torso mounted PPC's in your founders catapult while zoomed in? NOPE. Fire once on forest colony and your blind for a few seconds.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 14 March 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#10 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 14 March 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

So my team got rolled today and the last surviving teammate went and powered down to avoid a pointless death. I don't blame him at all. However it let me really spend a minute or two really admiring the graphics and landscape, the shadow effects, even snowfall.

Without film grain I think the game would be gorgeous but with it... well, it just degrades everything. Like having the resolution turned down a notch or two. Film grain in night vision or thermal maybe but regular? I want to see all the pretty things they made. It turns cockpit shake from explosions to even movement into just a pixel blur.

I feel this is unfortunate. Am I alone? Anyone else think the game would look better in regular (non-vision mode) view without the film grain effect?

http://mwomercs.com/...film-grain-fix/

It works perfectly :blink:

#11 Zero Neutral

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've disabled the film grain to improve visibility.

#12 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Unless you're actively trying to ruin your eyes there's no advantage to having the film grain. Just use the guide mentioned above and remove that crap, it doesn't even make sense why it's there in the first place to make everything a blurry mess.

#13 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

But... if you do that.... don't ninjas come for you in your sleep for modding your game? I've heard stories.

Ninjas.

#14 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Ive complained about the games blurryness since closed beta. Although I think ive gotten used to it... I think the visibility can still be much better. Looks like this poll has some interesting results... PGI?

#15 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

I think they should go all the way in the other direction (from what you are suggesting): ... damn it, youtube disabled the &vintage=1911 thing... here, have this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ&vintage=1911

#16 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

It's funny how the entire community is so united against stupid post-processing effects like film grain, that NO ONE has voted in favor of it, EVEN FOR THE LULZ.

#17 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

It looks better without, and I've disabled mine because of it. For anyone who says turning it off shouldn't be an option because it might provide a competitive edge: too late, dumbass.

#18 liku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostRoland, on 14 March 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

It's funny how the entire community is so united against stupid post-processing effects like film grain, that NO ONE has voted in favor of it, EVEN FOR THE LULZ.

I like that sentence: my vote was like the 17 th ;-)

#19 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

They simulated how I see in real-life.

Posted Image

#20 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Too many game developers (especially artist and writers, though the writer thing doesn't apply here) wish that they were working on Big Hollywood Movies instead video games, which is a huge barrier to video games becoming their own sort of separate art form.

I don't know if any of PGI's artists fall into that category, but there is enough of it going on that it has become the style or fashion that people look to as a standard.

Did books try to copy classical epics? No, and they became their own art form. Did theater try to copy books? Do movies only do things done in theater? No, no, and no. Games need to stop copying movies.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users