Paper Doll Damage Grading Images

17 replies to this topic

#1 Scop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

The arrival of Testing Grounds gives us the chance to fiddle around and make discoveries. Something I've been curious to look at is the paperdoll and improve my ability to interpret it while methodically chipping away at a target, take some screenshots, and share some findings with my fellow mechwarriors.

I took the trial DRG-1C with its reliable, incremental AC/2 into Testing Grounds, loaded up my graphics program in another window, and started whittling on my targets. I took a screenshot after firing each shell, rinsed, and repeated, then started cropping, organizing, and captioning.

Posted Image

Here you can see me wearing off a Jenner's arm one shot at a time, accompanied by the fraction and percentage of its armor and internals. This wasn't bad, but the jumps in color were a bit much. Seeking something finer, I set out to whittle down an Atlas's center torso, with its 94 points of armor.

Posted Image

In truth, I found this one too big to be really useful, and the progression from yellow to orange is nearly too fine for me to discern from frame to frame. (Believe you me, it took forever to capture all those shots.)

So, I moved on to the rear side-torsos on an Atlas, with 20 points of armor (cleanly dividing by the AC/2's damage), and turned it into an animated gif and gradient.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are good and straightforward. As to the specific color, I did the best I could with my eyedropper tool to deal with antialiasing and the HUD's transparency.

So next time you're looking at a paperdoll, yours or someone you're trying to core, hopefully this will give you a good idea of just how tattered it is. Watch it shade from yellow to goldenrod to orange and on, and pick your shots accordingly. Thanks for reading!

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

I figured this out at some point, but this is very useful for newbies.

#3 SquawkHawk

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Nice work Scop, appreciate the time you have put in.
The GIF is a clever touch.

#4 Gregore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

still sucks for colorblind haha

#5 Scop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostGregore, on 14 March 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

still sucks for colorblind haha

I believe you. Alas that I can't do something for it.

#6 Logan Bones

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

Nice work Scop

#7 LennStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

For colorblind or accountant People - which I'm both -I wish they would impolement like it wasin MW3(?) where you could choose to have a bar-based doll. For every armor part there was a small vertical bar that would Show with 1 Color difference the damageod this armor (or internal)

Granted, it was small and such took time to get used to and even then it took a bit longer to get your overall dmg, but it was a clear showing of your Status.

#8 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostLennStar, on 01 January 2014 - 02:13 AM, said:

For colorblind or accountant People - which I'm both -I wish they would impolement like it wasin MW3(?) where you could choose to have a bar-based doll. For every armor part there was a small vertical bar that would Show with 1 Color difference the damageod this armor (or internal)

Granted, it was small and such took time to get used to and even then it took a bit longer to get your overall dmg, but it was a clear showing of your Status.

Don't you mean MW2 ? Sure and they will make and MC only module out of it.
But yeah... Used that version all the time in the past.. Along with Enhanced Imaging !!

#9 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

Do I have your permission to paste this in my sig?

#10 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

View PostShinVector, on 02 January 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Don't you mean MW2 ?

It was in MW3 too. You had the 'real' image that graded towards scarlet, the paper doll, and the HTAL graph.

#11 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:26 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 03 January 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

It was in MW3 too. You had the 'real' image that graded towards scarlet, the paper doll, and the HTAL graph.

Sort being sarcastic to a a certain game we play.. Made by the certain company that starts with P.
Other than this... I keep wondering... At the start of a match why don't they indicate where we and the rest our team mates are spawning at on that silly map while we wait for everyone to load ?.. Hiaz... ;)

#12 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:31 AM

View PostShinVector, on 03 January 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

Sort being sarcastic to a a certain game we play.. Made by the certain company that starts with P.
Other than this... I keep wondering... At the start of a match why don't they indicate where we and the rest our team mates are spawning at on that silly map while we wait for everyone to load ?.. Hiaz... ;)

I got that, which is why I only quoted the part of your post that needed answering.

And, they do. You are sorted into lances, and they all start in different places on each map/game mode. There aren't that many variations to remember.

#13 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:37 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 03 January 2014 - 06:31 AM, said:

I got that, which is why I only quoted the part of your post that needed answering.

And, they do. You are sorted into lances, and they all start in different places on each map/game mode. There aren't that many variations to remember.

I you don't get what I mean... Remember that mini map we always see that the start of a match.. That is just a mini...
They could do stuff little like what I just mention to make it.. A little bit more useful... Yet they don't.. Just a plain mini that shows nothing but the map...

It relates too The HTAL system... They could have put that thing that existed since MW2... But they don't....

Ok enough ranting... Simply put this.. 'Launched' game is still missing.. A lot of polish... But I guess they will just put the blame on DX11 and UI2.0... ;)

Edited by ShinVector, 03 January 2014 - 06:38 AM.

#14 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

Would it not be wonderful for them to put a tiny %## on each location? Heck I found MW2's paper doll at least more informative.

In the middle of a fire fight I don't have the time to spend determining if that LT covering my Gauss rifle is Tangerine or Sunburst Orange or whatever. I just need to know how much is left quickly and accurately, not consult a BeautyTone Colour Wheel.

(Sarcasm aside)

This is fantastic work but if they had taken the time to code the little detail into the paperdoll we'd find it useful in game and not have to have a member of the community donate their time to help us all. Thank you for clarifying something that should have already been clarified for us!

#15 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostShinVector, on 03 January 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

I you don't get what I mean... Remember that mini map we always see that the start of a match.. That is just a mini...
They could do stuff little like what I just mention to make it.. A little bit more useful... Yet they don't.. Just a plain mini that shows nothing but the map...

It relates too The HTAL system... They could have put that thing that existed since MW2... But they don't....

Ok enough ranting... Simply put this.. 'Launched' game is still missing.. A lot of polish... But I guess they will just put the blame on DX11 and UI2.0... :D

Yeah, you're right. I don't get what you mean. Shall we agree to disagree on whatever it is we don't agree on? Okay cool.

#16 Myomes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Id press Like but currently the vote thing is having an issue.

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 03 January 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

whoever didn't use the HTAL graph was a casual. Its the clearest, most concise and easy to follow in the heat of battle readout there is.

#17 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

In the 31st Century, graphs and accurate damage readouts are so, like Star League era. Totally. Like. :P

#18 Scop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostHammerhai, on 03 January 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

Do I have your permission to paste this in my sig?

Do you mean some of the images? Sure, permission granted. ;) Crediting with a link would be appreciated if it's feasible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users