ON1-K Orion Battlemech Fan Art (Quick Sketch)

23 replies to this topic

#1 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

Just a quick sketch of the Orion with a custom paintjob for Polish community. When I find some time, I will finnish it.

Posted Image

#2 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

That doesn't look to bad. Could have some color, other than red, but it looks rather nice.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

I like it. I might prefer the cockpit slightly more offset, and the forearms bulkier, but it is very nicely done.

I still haven't messed with a ON-1, though I have designed a Clan ORION IIIC

#4 Agent Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 437 posts
  • Locationbottom left of canaduh

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Maybe the best version Ive seen. I never like the original with the idea of the arm coming right out of the missile pod. Where does the shoulder mechanism go? How does the ammo feed into it?
At least here it looks like they dont collide with each other.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostAgent Cooper, on 22 July 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

Maybe the best version Ive seen. I never like the original with the idea of the arm coming right out of the missile pod. Where does the shoulder mechanism go? How does the ammo feed into it?

very good point!. One of my old gripes with battletech was that it appeared that the art department felt all you needed for a missile rack was a flat surface to draw a bunch of little circles on, and bang! Missile rack! Reloads? Who cares?!?!?!?

#6 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Awesome work! You got the mech looking balanced and you stayed true to the original layout (which never had a SRM on the left arm) I would love to see this in game.

#7 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

Thanks guys!

View PostSteel Raven, on 22 July 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

Awesome work! You got the mech looking balanced and you stayed true to the original layout (which never had a SRM on the left arm) I would love to see this in game.
I would also like this one in game. Star League 'Mechs are very unique. I wish there was a Mechwarrior game taking place in this era. Maybe a roleplaying one?

View PostAgent Cooper, on 22 July 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

Same thought here! I was looking at the official arts and was like "Nope, let me try doing it other way".

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 July 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

I like it. I might prefer the cockpit slightly more offset, and the forearms bulkier, but it is very nicely done.

I still haven't messed with a ON-1, though I have designed a Clan ORION IIIC
I saw almost every drawing you made. I wish I had such great talent. I will think about the cockpit, but forearms will be this size, since there are only medium lasers in them.

View PostBrenden, on 22 July 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

That doesn't look to bad. Could have some color, other than red, but it looks rather nice.
Yeah, it was a quick paintjob just to propose the color scheme. When I clean up this drawing and add more details, I will prepare better colors.

EDIT: BTW. A little bonus (but it's still the same, uncleaned version):
Posted Image

Edited by Czechu NS, 23 July 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#8 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,631 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

If'n I miss my guess. . . there's a slight off caliber chance that we may see this beauty soon. Hopes! Not a bad picture.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Please don't take the comment as a criticism, or me trying to tell you what to do. Just my "critique" as a fellow battletech artsy guy. The disconnect between the written description/art and the actual reference sheets always bugged me. Only reason I favor bulkier forearms is (and I don't mean the big honkers like mine has) is my personal taste for engineering aesthetics. Just seems like they would need room for cooling jacket, shock absorbers and such. *Shrugs*

Some of those differences between written/art/ reference sheets is one of the things that makes me want to make a non-Canon, fan built TRO, so that maybe things like the differences can be addressed (similar to how I made a fictional 4S Banshee to explain the 3025/3050 discrepancies.

Regardless it looks great!

#10 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

@Bishop Steiner
It's ok, I just thought that it wouldn't be necessary to make them bigger... But today I was thinking about it and I have an idea! Maybe the forearms won't be bulkier, but I will change them a little so they would look more realistic/practical/functional/etc. Thanks for every comment and for visiting my thread(s)!

PS: I do respect honest criticism and such. I'm beginner at drawing things so every idea, every advice will be considered by me.

#11 The Master 1955

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSWF

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

nicely done

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Well, if this is rookie work, you have a bright future ahead my friend. Your eye for detail is excellent, but more important, and much harder to learn or teach is your sense of scale, depth and proportion.

As long as you always are open to feedback, you will certainly go places. (I have severely modified several of my designs based on feedback from here). You don't always have to agree with it, or follow (I ain't fattening up my Marauder, IDC what some folk think, it was always a lean mech. But I certainly was willing to change some features of it), but give it an honest ear. Your talent will do the rest. I can't wait to see the "finished" version.

Cheers!

#13 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Have you posted anywhere else? The forum won't let me save anything to disk for reference.

#14 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 July 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

Well, if this is rookie work, you have a bright future ahead my friend. Your eye for detail is excellent, but more important, and much harder to learn or teach is your sense of scale, depth and proportion.

As long as you always are open to feedback, you will certainly go places. (I have severely modified several of my designs based on feedback from here). You don't always have to agree with it, or follow (I ain't fattening up my Marauder, IDC what some folk think, it was always a lean mech. But I certainly was willing to change some features of it), but give it an honest ear. Your talent will do the rest. I can't wait to see the "finished" version.

Cheers!

Oh my, thank you! I promise I will do my best!

View PostSteel Raven, on 23 July 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

Have you posted anywhere else? The forum won't let me save anything to disk for reference.

Here you go Steel Raven, the full size of the second image, because on the first one the main color messed up the drawing lines: http://i.imgur.com/MtVr6.jpg

Let me know if that doesn't work.
EDIT: I wasn't watching you on DA earlier??? Fixed!

Edited by Czechu NS, 23 July 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#15 BrokenDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMiddlesex(UK)

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:36 AM

Czechu NZ. Very nice Orion!
Bishop Steiner. Well said!

#16 Cobweb

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Nicely done!

#17 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

OK, I've made some changes. Arms are now better, I think (I hope) and some other minor improvements (legs).
Posted Image

#18 XTRMNTR2K

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

It's beautiful... yet it looks like an Orion.

Damn, I didn't think this was possible. Well done!

#19 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostCzechu NS, on 23 July 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Here you go Steel Raven, the full size of the second image, because on the first one the main color messed up the drawing lines: http://i.imgur.com/MtVr6.jpg

Let me know if that doesn't work.
EDIT: I wasn't watching you on DA earlier??? Fixed!

Much thanks, this gives me a few idea for the next time I draw a Orion

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostCzechu NS, on 24 July 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

OK, I've made some changes. Arms are now better, I think (I hope) and some other minor improvements (legs).
Posted Image

I like that a lot. You added a look of bulk and substance without going overboard. Yet it looks like if the pilot had to smack you, it would cause damage, where the original arms looked a little too dainty for an Age of War design (IMO). That is smoking good. Do you have a B&W Line art version? HanaYuriko and I are starting to compile a fan TRO and I would love to have a version of that represented (with all art credit to you), but all the designs are going to follow th basic TRO line art form.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users