15 replies to this topic

#1 Cool will never die but you will

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIn a Cockpit

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

I looked on the forums but couldn't find anything regarding Physical Attacks(if there is a thread link it to me plz)

will there be any Charging, DFA's, Kicking or Punching?

what about Physical weapons like Hatchets or Swords..

#2 Darklord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationChicago Battletech Center

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

they said in the FAQ there won't be physical attacks

DL

#3 torgian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

Although it'd be cool, I think itd be hard to implement correctly. Hopefully DFAs will make it in though :)

#4 Cool will never die but you will

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIn a Cockpit

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

View PostDarklord, on 06 November 2011 - 06:40 PM, said:

they said in the FAQ there won't be physical attacks

DL

ok thnx,

thats a real shame though, even simple charging of a DFA would be cool

#5 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Melee is a huge system. Charging, knocking down, etc.. are by products of the physics engine. These will mostly likely make the cut. Full on hand-to-hand combat is a beast. It's part of the books, part of Solaris and something we are considering post launch, but only IF we can make it work and look amazing.

#6 Lorebot

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 06 November 2011 - 06:50 PM, said:

Melee is a huge system. Charging, knocking down, etc.. are by products of the physics engine. These will mostly likely make the cut. Full on hand-to-hand combat is a beast. It's part of the books, part of Solaris and something we are considering post launch, but only IF we can make it work and look amazing.

I know you guys will make it work spectacularly and I'm more than willing to wait for it. Just promise me a Hatchetman sometime before you introduce the clans. We're gonna need that melee edge to overcome their superior firepower :)

#7 Darklord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationChicago Battletech Center

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

So we'll see atleast collsion damage.So we'll aleast have and option when we
lose all our weapons

DL

#8 fearfactory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

I would love to be able to pilot an Assassin, get into point blank range with *insert 'Mech here*, and punch it right in the face.

#9 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

This is probably some of the best news I've heard regarding physicals. Charging is a great way for the small, light mechs to deal a huge amount of damage to the heavier classes.

#10 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Posted Image

That is all.

#11 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

Posted Image

That is all. [2]

#12 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

Industry Mechs? Yes please!

Do I want to cut an Atlas in have with my super-heated plasma chainsaw? Of course I do.

#13 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

View PostZakatak, on 06 November 2011 - 08:03 PM, said:

Industry Mechs? Yes please!

Do I want to cut an Atlas in have with my super-heated plasma chainsaw? Of course I do.

My friends and I made a zombie apocalypse campaign using Demo mechs as a springboard for zombies. And yes, chainsaws are completely necessary.

#14 Kell Aset

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

Please do try your best to somehow put melee combat in game, not saying that I want to see mechs wrestle or fighting with bare hands but some close combat with melee wepons would be sweet already. There are so many mechs made for close melee combat in BT/MW universum it would be a waste to again overlook them :), this would be first I think? MW/BT game with that kind of combat.

And btw. OP here are two topics about melee combat:

http://mwomercs.com/...-combat-thread/

http://mwomercs.com/...8146#entry18146

Edited by Kell Aset, 06 November 2011 - 08:21 PM.

#15 Chembot

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

Melee, Melee, MELEE!
This aspect will make the game great..
As a former QA tester for the (now defunct) Krome Studios in Australia, melee in Mechwarrior was something I always thought about while working on the non related, yet similar titles there. The melee idea is as follows; Dual mouse support..
By hitting a hotkey in game, the player switches from regular joystick or mouse mode to dual mouse mode. Left mouse for left arm, right mouse for right arm. Left click fires the arm mounted weapon, right click opens/closes the hand (if the mech has one). The light mech arms respond to mouse movements quicker than heavy and assault mechs (for animation and speed purposes). So when it comes to punching, the player has to track the enemy mech and pull, then push their mouse to initiate a punch etc. Open and closing the fist option can be used for pulling out light posts, trees as clubs, or picking up objectives.. or inititating a mech sized 'Pimp Slap'! (then damages the hand actuator for being open)
The idea may sound complex, but if done right, would add an awesome piece of functionality to the game the others weren't even close to doing.
I'm sure you Piranha devs are good enough to do it!

#16 Lorebot

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

View PostChembot, on 06 November 2011 - 10:01 PM, said:

Melee, Melee, MELEE!
This aspect will make the game great..
As a former QA tester for the (now defunct) Krome Studios in Australia, melee in Mechwarrior was something I always thought about while working on the non related, yet similar titles there. The melee idea is as follows; Dual mouse support..
By hitting a hotkey in game, the player switches from regular joystick or mouse mode to dual mouse mode. Left mouse for left arm, right mouse for right arm. Left click fires the arm mounted weapon, right click opens/closes the hand (if the mech has one). The light mech arms respond to mouse movements quicker than heavy and assault mechs (for animation and speed purposes). So when it comes to punching, the player has to track the enemy mech and pull, then push their mouse to initiate a punch etc. Open and closing the fist option can be used for pulling out light posts, trees as clubs, or picking up objectives.. or inititating a mech sized 'Pimp Slap'! (then damages the hand actuator for being open)
The idea may sound complex, but if done right, would add an awesome piece of functionality to the game the others weren't even close to doing.
I'm sure you Piranha devs are good enough to do it!

Your idea sounds cool, but there are far too many limitations for the players involved.

1. it means needing 2 mice hooked up at the same time which is complicated and unusual for most operating systems

2. it means a players need to own 2 mice

3. it means taking your hand off the movement controls for your mech and turn yourself into a sitting duck which is clearly not something you want to do when you're standing next to a giant robot.

4. it takes time to move your hand from a ready position on one controller (ie. your keyboard or the throttle or joystick it's already on) to a ready position on the mouse you want to use and then back when you're finished, time that can get you shot or killed. The only fast way to move your hand from a mouse to a keyboard and be sure if it's placement is to take your eyes off the screen and actually look where your hand is being placed, not something you want to do in a combat situation

I love the idea, but it's got to many holes to be used on a game like Mechwarrior.

Edited by Lorebot, 06 November 2011 - 10:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users