My Team Sucks; Or So They Say

61 replies to this topic

#1 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

I have noticed a bit of a trend lately. I drop into a pug, nobody talks. We go ahead, sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. My overall trend seems to be fairly even, although it gets streakish sometimes. However, when we lose/are going to lose,

"My team sucks."
"You're all dumb."
"I had a lousy team."

or even

"My team is a bunch of **** and ****** and they should all just **** themselves"

I think you all can get the picture. What I wonder is: what is the point of telling everyone this? Bear in mind, this is in 'all' chat. It boggles my mind to see this type of statement. Sure, I can understand a little venting on occasion, but seriously? I see this nearly every time we end up losing (pugs only).

These people didn't try to help. They didn't communicate. And it's even worse if they have a lousy build. How much more hypocritical can you get?

It serves no logical purpose. You don't offer anything constructive. Why did we suck? If we really do suck, how will we know what mistake we made if you don't tell us? The only possible reason I can think of is to try and make excuses for their loss. Like

"Oh, I'm a totally l33t player, just that the other 7 players on my team are all noobs."

What are you even making excuses for? There's no rep meter or anything staring over your shoulder and rating your performance. Not to mention the effect it has on your existing teammates. I'm not one to grief, but people like this make me not even want to bother. If you're so skilled that you can always blame the rest of the team for a loss, go ahead and win without me. You don't need my help, such as it is. In fact, if I do anything, I'll probably make things worse, so why bother?

I understand that there are lousy pug teams, and you may feel like they were responsible for your loss. However, this is no reason to go ahead and toss insults just because we don't meet your expected level of competence. At the very least, tell us why we made the mistake. But insults are not going to do even a smidgen of good, and are probably going to make things worse.

What do the rest of you think?

TL,DR: In my experience, people often insult their own team when losing in a pug. Is this at all justifiable? There doesn't seem to be any logical reason for it.

#2 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

Personally, I prefer to insinuate that my teammates during a loss are of some religion/race/culture that is inferior to my own.

#3 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

Posted Image

#4 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

Sometimes people are just voicing thier frustration which is reason enough to say something like that in public chat. I do sometimes. Quite frankly its true. Sometimes your team does suck and the game allows you to verify that by having you watch thier perspective after you die. Most of the time I minimize the screen and read the forums as its often painful to watch some players play poorly. You could say that instead of doing that I could give constructive criticism which I do on occasion. But most of the time I say nothing because it feels to much like work and I already have a job. That and I think its probably a waste of effort anyways. You can run a good build and be a really good player but you still need team mates who can hit a target and pilot a mech with some level of skill and judgement. I accept that... with frustration.

#5 von Pilsner

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

View PostScurry, on 17 March 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

"My team sucks."
"You're all dumb."
"I had a lousy team."

or even

"My team is a bunch of **** and ****** and they should all just **** themselves"

It is best when the person dies first and spends the whole match complaining and berating their team only to see that they were at the bottom of the scoreboard when the match finally ends... :)

#6 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

It's amusing sometimes when people complain the team sucks, and I end up on the top of the scoreboard piloting a Commando while their RVN-3L is #6.

>.>

But seriously, sometimes teams really ARE terribad. And other times they're so good that you can cap all the points by yourself in Conquest only to return to the battlefield to see the entire enemy team wiped by 7 mechs with 0 losses.

While most of the time people who say this kind of 'my team is bad' crap seem to require ego stroking at a constant basis, sometimes it really is true.

Justifying with the exception and ignoring the rule, however, is just plain dishonest.

#7 peve

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

It is pointless to whine about it. I would have to do it way too often. Most of the time when my team loses, I am the best player in the game.

I have tried to compensate by building crappy mechs, but it wont help.

I was the best player even with stock Raven 3L, a Dragon with 3mg + 2ERLL, and an atlas with Standard 360 engine.

#8 T Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

It's frustrating for us all that there is no integrated voice-com. There is no time to communicate efficiently in a FPS simulation/game.

You can't release a multiplayer game without integrating some sort of voice communication in 2013. It doesn't work. Everyone has it, except MWO.

When **** hits the fan, it's mostly because ppl lose each other in hectic combat and thus end up being mauled by the enemy team. I don't think there are many bad players out there, I think it all comes down to miscommunication.

Edited by T Hawk, 17 March 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#9 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

Many inexperienced players dont realize when they are in a bad position and often die without knowing why, An experienced player reconizes a bad situation and gets out of it before they get pasted, or they simply do not get into the bad situation to start with.

#10 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

View Postvon Pilsner, on 17 March 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

It is best when the person dies first and spends the whole match complaining and berating their team only to see that they were at the bottom of the scoreboard when the match finally ends... :)

Yeah, we all know the first person to die is always the worst player and the last person to die is always the best player.

#11 Jay Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 209 posts
  • LocationJumpship in the Periphery

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

Posted Image

Edited by Jay Kerensky, 17 March 2013 - 03:49 AM.

#12 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

View PostSoulscour, on 17 March 2013 - 03:09 AM, said:

Sometimes people are just voicing thier frustration which is reason enough to say something like that in public chat. I do sometimes. Quite frankly its true. Sometimes your team does suck and the game allows you to verify that by having you watch thier perspective after you die. Most of the time I minimize the screen and read the forums as its often painful to watch some players play poorly. You could say that instead of doing that I could give constructive criticism which I do on occasion. But most of the time I say nothing because it feels to much like work and I already have a job. That and I think its probably a waste of effort anyways. You can run a good build and be a really good player but you still need team mates who can hit a target and pilot a mech with some level of skill and judgement. I accept that... with frustration.

I do sympathise with your experiences. It is true that your team will sometimes be awful. I did suggest giving constructive criticism, but I also understand that some do not want to bother, and so remain silent. I'm perfectly okay with that. What I'm not okay with is throwing insults, which is often utterly pointless.

#13 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

you are aware of course that what you call a bad build, someone else might be able to do really well with right?

#14 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:04 AM

One of the big draws of multiplayer games like this is that you can blame your team for losses. That takes a lot of the stress out of competing for some people, enabling casual play that 1v1 games like starcraft struggle with. The downside of this is that many people take it too far and start vocalizing it. Nothing good comes from that, but it's part of the package.

#15 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

So much truh in one post OP!

I love this!

#16 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

I just want people to be more aggressive... I can't count the number of times where I can push the entire front line, flank and slaughter 2 or 3 enemy... my team has followed we hit them, and then they pull back as soon as the enemy does. Seriously you push the advantage, lost one too many games where a fresh ddc would bail on my stalker, or catapult...

Then you get the nice long elo searches... that go for a good 1/2min or longer, and you end up as a filler to average out a low ELO team... of course I'm not going to be impressed. I gave up constructive criticism long ago when I realized people would still fire lrm's under 180m no matter what you say. And when half the team does <100dmg in perfectly legit builds, I question how good my team always is at the end...

#17 Sifright

• 2,218 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, High Wycombe

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostTeralitha, on 17 March 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

Many inexperienced players dont realize when they are in a bad position and often die without knowing why, An experienced player reconizes a bad situation and gets out of it before they get pasted, or they simply do not get into the bad situation to start with.

Man this isn't completely true.

if you have a team that pushes in and finds its self in a bad position if half of you run the hell away and the other half stay and fight both sides of that team 100% caused the loss. Scattering the moment combat starts happens way to damn often and its the primary reason why losses are so one sided one team scatters at combat the other doesnt the team that scatters gets slaughtered.
unless you have voice comms to coordinate a retreat scattering ensures the other team annihilates you.

Better to stick through a bad situation and try and out pilot the other side than to scatter and ensure that who ever is in a slow mech gets pounded to scrap with the enemy getting no damage in return.

#18 mike29tw

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

View Postvon Pilsner, on 17 March 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

It's even better when the team proceed to eliminate every opposing mech after he complains how much his team sucks... :rolleyes:

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

I only had one game out of 910 where someone trash talked. I guess it is nice to play during non-American hours. Perhaps warriors in USA are more of trash talkers.

Edited by El Bandito, 17 March 2013 - 04:38 AM.

#20 Moonsavage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAylesbury, UK

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

Yeah some guy (named after a flying maneuver) drops into the game and straightaway says
"I hope my team aren't a bunch of scrubs like last game"
Then walks off alone into the enemy and is the second person in the team to die, and with a massive 56 damage.

I really really despise the word "scrubs", it belongs in American Football / Baseball and because of some hateful world of warcraft podcasters it made it's way into online gaming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users