Dev Can You Show Or Explain How The Raven Hitbox Was Fixed

49 replies to this topic

#21 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostTennex, on 19 March 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

its not the hitbox. its the ECM and sSRMs.

have you ever been whooped by a raven with no ECM.

i must have missed the part where ravens get a damage buff through ecm usage...

View PostRozav, on 19 March 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

the Stalker legged me which ultimately won him the match.

thats how all the other lights and chicas feel...welcome to the club ^^

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 20 March 2013 - 02:25 AM.

#22 BlackAbbot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationSecret UrbanMech Production Facility

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

I thought the legs were the only hitbox on the Raven that previously wasn't broken. It's where I've always aimed because it's the only part that has ever consistently registered hits. At least this explains why trying to centre mass them still doesn't do squat, but I'm sure with the broken LRM tweaks that we'll now get enough QQ from legged Ravens to ensure that the actual broken hitboxes are never fixed.

#23 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

I've wrecked plenty of people in my 4X...

View Postdaemur, on 19 March 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

The change was made to the Raven leg hitbox and resulted in the box not being drawn so tightly to the actual legs of the mech due to their small size. As for the Raven overall they are still small and fast lights which remain difficult to hit, though two ac20's to the face and you can be pretty sure you got one.

Cheers,
daemur

I am not liking the new hitboxes, almost every death I have had in since the change has been due to getting both legs destroyed.

#24 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

View Postxhrit, on 20 March 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

I am not liking the new hitboxes, almost every death I have had in since the change has been due to getting both legs destroyed.

"Paper is OP, scissors is balanced" said the stone :huh:

Above picture of the hitzones is very helpfull. I always wondered why the body seems so tough. Now I know why: the damage is very likely to be distributed among 3 mech parts, because they are so close together and hitting exactly the center with every shot is practically impossible (for me, anyway).

#25 Harmin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSussex, UK

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostDarkrook, on 19 March 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

I haven't noticed any difference on ravens taken hits. The patch notes said they tweaked the hitboxes.Can we have some type of numbers or test that was conducted that show this. Was in a game and didnt see the raven take any srm or laser dmg, and was 100m to 200m away. I haven't tried any ac5/10 or gauss yet.

I don't want some guy coming in here saying i have no problem hitting them, i can careless, i just want to see some numbers the Devs have for us :huh:

I drove a mastered 3L yesterday for a few maps after the patch and it definitely was much less of the typical care free running around experience. I'd say that they are easier to hit now.

-Armin

#26 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

View PostDenolven, on 20 March 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

"Paper is OP, scissors is balanced" said the stone :)

Above picture of the hitzones is very helpfull. I always wondered why the body seems so tough. Now I know why: the damage is very likely to be distributed among 3 mech parts, because they are so close together and hitting exactly the center with every shot is practically impossible (for me, anyway).

That is the thing though. No one was complaining about the legs pre-patch, they were complaining about the torso.

Ravens are easy to kill now because their leg hit boxes are twice as big as they should be, not because their torso hitboxes were fixed.

Edited by xhrit, 20 March 2013 - 04:53 AM.

#27 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

The folks complaining about the torsos on the raven were basically just fools though.

Having large side torsos actually made the raven easier to kill since its side torsos have less armor than the CT.

And no, no one with any brains strips the leg armor in a light mech.

But making the legs hittable is certainly an improvement, given how wonky they were before.

#28 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostRoland, on 20 March 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

The folks complaining about the torsos on the raven were basically just fools though.

Having large side torsos actually made the raven easier to kill since its side torsos have less armor than the CT.

And no, no one with any brains strips the leg armor in a light mech.

But making the legs hittable is certainly an improvement, given how wonky they were before.

Are you saying I dont have brains?

#29 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:53 AM

View PostRoland, on 20 March 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

No, because the LT, CT and RT are so close together at the nose it makes it very hard to repeatedly hit just one section. The result is that damage is spread over two or three of the torso sections and it takes longer to wear the mech down. There is a similar, though not as dramatic, affect with the Stalker.

#30 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostRocketDog, on 20 March 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

No, because the LT, CT and RT are so close together at the nose it makes it very hard to repeatedly hit just one section. The result is that damage is spread over two or three of the torso sections and it takes longer to wear the mech down. There is a similar, though not as dramatic, affect with the Stalker.

That's the thing, it really wasn't hard to hit a raven's side torso repeatedly, because their side torsos were huge.

#31 Galenit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

Most death with my raven was to sidetorsodamage and blowing the internals and engine in the sidetorsos.
I though about changing to a normal engine, but with the changes its not needed anymore....

#32 Damon Howe

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

I run a raven with an AC20. best record was 5 kills 3 assists and over 500 damage.

Yeah, I can whoop people with a raven with no ECM.

#33 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostAdrienne Vorton, on 20 March 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

thats how all the other lights and chicas feel...welcome to the club ^^

In fairness, I don't think he was complaining as such

View PostBlackAbbot, on 20 March 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

I thought the legs were the only hitbox on the Raven that previously wasn't broken. It's where I've always aimed because it's the only part that has ever consistently registered hits. At least this explains why trying to centre mass them still doesn't do squat, but I'm sure with the broken LRM tweaks that we'll now get enough QQ from legged Ravens to ensure that the actual broken hitboxes are never fixed.

If you follow the link at the bottom of my post and compare the light mechs, the Raven's leg hitboxes were somewhat spindlier than other lights' when the hitbox hugged the graphics. The normalisation is resonable. Inconsistent hitreg is, as I pointed out on the previous page a bug not exclusive to the Raven.

View Postxhrit, on 20 March 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

The fixed LRM/SRM leg damage glitch this patch, that'll be a big part of why, especially with how high the Raven legs go on the torso.

View PostDenolven, on 20 March 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

You don't want to hit the Centre Torso though, the Side Torso is weaker and will kill the Raven just as fast because you cannot run one without an XL. If you really want to Core one, then aim for the crotch (i.e. the large box the legs are attached to).

View PostRocketDog, on 20 March 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

And what happens to Stalkers? They loose their side torsos. Fast. This is why you never see one running an XL, despite the hilarious levels of firepower it would permit. The Commando and Spider also have very prominent side torsos from the front, infact.

Posted Image

(Note that you can actually hit the frontal Side Torso of the Raven from the rear)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those are all, although the Stalker has it worse by far in a deliberate attempt to limit XL engines and ergo firepower, fairly similar. Prominent Side Torsos mean that, yes, if you spray a laser across the entire front of the mech you'll split damage across all three locations (the same as on any mech, as it happens). However it also gives an easily targetable Side Torso kill point, which will demolish half their armament in the case of the Stalker, and get you a kill in the case of a Raven or Catapult running an XL. Sure, the Cockpit will get the kill faster, but it's a lot smaller.

Posted Image

With the Jenner, however, the Side Torsos are minuscule, and concealed by the arms in the lateral aspect. This means to get an engine destruction kill, you more or less have to burn through the most heavily armoured part of the mech. It's also better to aim for the left of a Raven, since his side torso there is less protected by the smaller missile/shield arm than the guns of the right arm (barring the 4X).

Note that CT armour tends to be ~ 30% higher than ST armour, assuming approximately the same level of front-rear split on both. On 35 ton light mechs this approximates to between 5 and 10 armour difference, in general. That's one or two more MLAS hits keeping it all on target to destroy the CT. An easily targetable weakpoint is not an advantage. And before anyone starts, no I'm not QQing about my poor easily targetable XL, it's fine as is. Jenner could maybe do with a bigger ST box for the sake of consistency with the other Lights though.

Now, there is a bug reported repeatedly (and sadly usually with more foot-stamping than useful information) that irrespective of target chassis causes damage to not be recorded, or to be recorded on the wrong section. This is most obvious when a frontal hit affects rear armour. This is a Generic Hitreg Bug. I've seen absolutely no evidence that what people experience with the Raven is anything other than this Generic Hitreg Bug. Someone just attributed it to the Raven's hitbox at some point, and it got repeated until people just assume that if they see it on a Raven it's because of the 'wonky hitboxes' because 'everyone knows they're wonky'. This happens fairly often with the target of a community's ire, which the 3L certainly is (for certain legitimate non-hitbox related reasons). The problem is then exacerbated by the sadly large number of players who will jump on the most convenient excuse to explain away every death rather than accept that it was failure on their part or a simply better opponent.

It's worth noting on that point that those hitbox diagrams above were experimentally determined (hence why they're not what you see in the mechlab). At no point in the OP of the thread those are from was there any mention of difficulty ascertaining reliable hitbox borders for the Raven.

TLD:DR - It's a generic Hitreg issue, not hitbox-specific. Large side torsos are not advantageous.

Source thread for Hitbox Images.

Edited by Gaan Cathal, 20 March 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#34 Specterr

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 53 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

I'd say 70% of my deaths since yesterday's patch has come from double legging, pre-patch maybe one in twenty. The Raven is the only mech I drive so I don't know how these numbers compare to other lights though.

I think the combination of proper missile damage registering and the larger hit boxes makes it super easy to leg them now, it will be interesting to see if this scales back slightly with the missile splash nerf coming next patch.

#35 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 20 March 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

And what happens to Stalkers? They loose their side torsos. Fast. This is why you never see one running an XL, despite the hilarious levels of firepower it would permit. The Commando and Spider also have very prominent side torsos from the front, infact.

Stalkers are big and slow enough that (if off to one side) one can aim specifically for a side torso. In fact, with the Stalker this is a good idea because taking out a ST will remove half its firepower.

However, the Raven is so small and fast that aiming at the ST isn't really possible unless you happen to catch it standing still. With the Raven, even laser fire is very likely to be spread across CT, STs and arms. Better just to aim at the upper part of the legs.

#36 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 20 March 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

I
Posted Image

With the Jenner, however, the Side Torsos are minuscule, and concealed by the arms in the lateral aspect. This means to get an engine destruction kill, you more or less have to burn through the most heavily armoured part of the mech[size=4]. It's also better to aim for the left of a Raven, since his side torso there is less protected by the smaller missile/shield arm than the guns of the right arm (barring the 4X).

Note that CT armour tends to be ~ 30% higher than ST armour, assuming approximately the same level of front-rear split on both. On 35 ton light mechs this approximates to between 5 and 10 armour difference, in general. That's one or two more MLAS hits keeping it all on target to destroy the CT. An easily targetable weakpoint is not an advantage. And before anyone starts, no I'm not QQing about my poor easily targetable XL, it's fine as is. Jenner could maybe do with a bigger ST box for the sake of consistency with the other Lights though.

Source thread for Hitbox Images.

I don't know if you've ever piloted a Jenner? That thing is all CT in the upper torso when it comes to where it takes damage and just about all death is due to CT getting cored and the ST are almost never more than orange, most of the time still more yellow than orange. It's true CT the most heavily armored part, but still we're talking about a light mech here, the CT armor is still really thin. What you think might be a nerf by making the ST bigger by letting parts of CT be ST instead I think can only be a buff as I'd be able to spread out the damage more. So as a Jenner pilot I'm all for it! :)

#37 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

View PostRocketDog, on 20 March 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

However, the Raven is so small and fast that aiming at the ST isn't really possible unless you happen to catch it standing still. With the Raven, even laser fire is very likely to be spread across CT, STs and arms. Better just to aim at the upper part of the legs.

I think you're underestimating the potential, I loose more Ravens to side torso engine destruction than anything else, followed by double-legging, with centre torso engine loss a trailing third. From the side they're very easy to focus, and from the front just aim for the 6-pack/Ewar box.

View Postarmyof1, on 20 March 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

I don't know if you've ever piloted a Jenner? That thing is all CT in the upper torso when it comes to where it takes damage and just about all death is due to CT getting cored and the ST are almost never more than orange, most of the time still more yellow than orange. It's true CT the most heavily armored part, but still we're talking about a light mech here, the CT armor is still really thin. What you think might be a nerf by making the ST bigger by letting parts of CT be ST instead I think can only be a buff as I'd be able to spread out the damage more. So as a Jenner pilot I'm all for it! :)

I'm not saying it'd be a nerf, I'm saying it would be normalisation. Currently we have three light mechs with prominent side torsos and one without. Logically they should all be similar (to a degree) and it makes most sense to normalise the lowest frequency, ergo the Jenner. If anything I agree, it would be a slight benefit to the Jenner, in that you could take out their engine faster by aiming, but that would require actually aiming. I think maybe people are spoiled by the Jenner's hitboxes where they can just wave a gun in the right direction and get a Centre Torso hit.

Edited by Gaan Cathal, 20 March 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#38 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 20 March 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

[size=4]I'm not saying it'd be a nerf, I'm saying it would be normalisation. Currently we have three light mechs with prominent side torsos and one without. Logically they should all be similar (to a degree) and it makes most sense to normalise the lowest frequency, ergo the Jenner.

I'm just saying from my experience from Jenners, this normalisation would actually increase the survivability of Jenners, so it would simply be an improvement. If you think that's fine, well I won't argue! In general bigger side torsos and a smaller CT can be an advantage depending on how you use the mech. As we're talking about fast lights here you often have the choice of which side of your mech is facing your opponent when you're engaging, so if you vary your approach sometimes from the right, other times from the left you can effectively spread out the damage. What you should avoid is long periods of circling in the same direction around the enemy as you'd be offering up the same ST as a target.

#39 Byk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Interesting. I'd still like to see the side torsos toned down a bit. But before this patch I have noticed Ravens were extremely hard to leg. Their legs seemed "skinnier than their already skinny legs" and impossible to hit. Glad they finally fixed this.

#40 mekabuser

• Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

redacted bec Mek is stupid sometimes.

Edited by mekabuser, 20 March 2013 - 08:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users