Jagermech - Effective Builds

435 replies to this topic

#21 BGrey

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

I was having a hard time making a build that I found particularly interesting but then this...

JM6-A - unnamed

The utility of the machine guns is of course questionable and with the medium pulse lasers you are further restricting your range, for a bit more reach you might drop the MGs and ammo and downgrade the engine a bit to use 2xLL instead of the pulses.

Edited by BGrey, 20 March 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#22 Atlas32

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 106 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

View Postbantapoo, on 20 March 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

I like the versatility of the JM6-A:
- brawler: XL315, 11DHS, Endo, max armor except 33/60 legs, 4x Artemis SRM6 +5t ammo, 2xLL
- weapon platform: XL300, 10 DHS, Endo, max armor except 33/60 legs, 2xUAC5+6t ammo, 4xSSRM+2t ammo, 2xML
- Missile fun: XL300, 10 DHS, Endo, max armor except 41/60 legs, 2xLRM15 + 6t ammo, 2xSSRM+1t, 2xLL

Brawlers and XL engines don't mix...You need to be able to soak up damage or avoid it.

#23 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

Its hard to tell, if my builds are any good what with LRMs everywhere.

For whatever its worth I present them here:

Flakpanzer

Bofors

Shilka

The main thing that I already love about the Jagermech, despite everything else going on right now in the game, is the fact that I really can fire from some clever places. I especially love playing really old maps like Forest Colony & Frozen City because by now I know all the places I can't fire from with my hip shooting mechs (CTF-4X, CPLT-K2). With the Jager's high mounted ballistics I can dig in and fire from places that I previously avoided.

#24 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

I threw together a pair of AC5s with large lasers. I chose the JM6-S because even though I'm not using 2 of my energy mounts at the moment I feel it will be easier to experiment with making the most out of using 2 pairs of medium lasers along side 2 ballistic weapons rather than the DD's 3 ballistic slots along side only 2 energy mounts.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f3d84d1ccb18ced

On a side note, I'm running out of STD250 engines. I seem to use them in everything short of my assaults.

#25 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 20 March 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

I've been finding success with dual lbx 10
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4917959ae12962f

I am a HUGE proponent of the LBX auto cannons because shotguns. Even so when I say the machine guns I knew what I had to do. I had to take them out and use that extra ton per arm on AC10s.

I also down sized the engine but it's 1 in the morning and I'm both loaded and tired so I can't, for the life of me, say why except I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

#26 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostCarnifexMaximus, on 20 March 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

With the Jager's high mounted ballistics I can dig in and fire from places that I previously avoided.

I've noticed this fighting Jagermechs. They're arguably more threatening than an Ilya or Gausskitty or whatever because it's very easy for them to get a clear shot on you.

#27 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostRaso, on 20 March 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

I am a HUGE proponent of the LBX auto cannons because shotguns. Even so when I say the machine guns I knew what I had to do. I had to take them out and use that extra ton per arm on AC10s.

I also down sized the engine but it's 1 in the morning and I'm both loaded and tired so I can't, for the life of me, say why except I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time.

if you're going to take the machine guns off, drop two mlas and upgrade to a uac5 and ac/20, or use that tonnage for more ammo or ams

Edited by Battlecruiser, 20 March 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#28 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 20 March 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

if you're going to take the machine guns off, drop two mlas and upgrade to a uac5 and ac/20, or use that tonnage for more ammo or ams

IDK I'm not really a huge fan of mixing ballistics with that extreme of a range difference. I'm also a fan of symmetry.

I also realized I never posted my variation for what ever reason....

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1fee042a9a4e0e3

Good thing I didn't copy anything else since I first copied the link!

Edited by Raso, 20 March 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#29 direpinnacle

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

I have to agree with Raso, and add my support for quad medium lasers: I'm usually a stalker pilot, and even with all the varied builds those things can handle, a set of 4 meduim lasers has a lot of utility and seems to get the most use in a typical battle. Both the lbx-10 and the AC10 builds have me very tempted.

#30 Azze

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostLT Satisfactory, on 20 March 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

you're wasting the 1 ton of CASE - it doesn't do anything for you with your XL.

Also, I've always been confused when I see ammo in the torso when you have room for it in legs. Rarely do anything but lights get legged. Also, you can stick on lbx10 ammo in your head since the guns will use that ammo first.

You're right. Just left the CASEs in from the stock loadout, thinking they would protect the ammo going off if my arm explodes. Guess i was wrong, will tune my build a bit

edit: Made few variations of the build

First is a variation with standard engine but with small lasers and slightly lower armor than the build i posted earlier
JM6-DD - STD250

Second is a standard engine variation with ferro armor and that way filling every single critical slot in the chasis.
JM6-DD - STD260 Ferro

Third is the XL engine variation without the CASEs. In this build the heatsinks can be swapped for extra ammo if needed
JM6-DD - XL280

Edited by Azze, 20 March 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#31 SnakeTheFox

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

These are the setups I run:

2x AC-20 / Support-
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2dd4db8094df376

4x SRM-6 + Artemis / Brawler-
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...920affff9e70a57

As someone who previously subsisted on Cataphracts and Hunchbacks, experiences in these exceed both by a wide margin.

#32 bantapoo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

I'm tending more more toward ac10, instead of the jamming nightmare of uac5s
my latest JM6-A build has been 2xac10, 2xml, 2xssrm2

Edited by bantapoo, 21 March 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#33 theDeimos

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

Heres mine:

Meet "Chuck":
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f495617f9628f72

Yes he does run a little hot, nothing about it thats not manageable though. I had nothing smaller than a XL300 available, I might change it for a 280 one time to squeeze in more stuff.
The Armor is... bearable. He's not too tough but he doesnt go down instantly either (cept when a large volley of buggy lurms hits his back).
Chuck is very versatile. You can annoy with the ac2s at all ranges and up close hes just brutal. (dakkadakkadakkaBOOMdakkadakkaZRRRRPPdakkadakkaBOOM)

I found boating 2 ac20s or 4 ac2/5s to be too situational. This build is just perfect for me.

Edited by theDeimos, 21 March 2013 - 12:29 AM.

#34 PapajIGC

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

Successful builds are limited to the following:
  • Anything a Catapult can do (with the exception of Splatcat) only with a faster, albeit XL, engine.
  • Anything a Cataphract can do only with a smaller engine (still typically an XL) and minus a weapon or two.

#35 bantapoo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

my regret is fitting dual gauss is too limiting due to tonnage..so apart 2xac20 you're forced to use ac10 or uac5 for effective damage, and still be able to fit short range defense weapons.
In general, I think that the ballistic weapons weight too heavily compared to missiles which do more damage for less weight.
I expect ac5 to weight 5 tons not 8, and ac10 10 tons not 12. that would make autocannons more useful for the low tonnage mechs.
Would be nice to have those changes without waiting for clan weapons..

Edited by bantapoo, 21 March 2013 - 12:46 AM.

#36 theDeimos

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:56 AM

View PostPapajIGC, on 21 March 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

Successful builds are limited to the following:
  • Anything a Catapult can do (with the exception of Splatcat) only with a faster, albeit XL, engine.
  • Anything a Cataphract can do only with a smaller engine (still typically an XL) and minus a weapon or two.

None of those can copy my build. Only Ilya could do that without XL and he would be slow as ****

#37 Vagabond HT

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 81 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

I have two Build that has been doing me well, well when i am not being headshoted by the bugged LRM/srm splash.

The AC 20 Vagabond

And the Orginal build

The Ultra vagabond.

Both builds i have yet to overheat at all on any map. I took the Hunchback aproach to piloting them almost because of how i set out the armour. And on the AC 20 vagabond i have only ran out of ammo once, Due to a few misses on Alpine. Also both build would benifit from zoom. No coolent flush needed the DHS keep the mech cool

#38 PapajIGC

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:03 AM

View PosttheDeimos, on 21 March 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

None of those can copy my build. Only Ilya could do that without XL and he would be slow as ****

ILYA MUROMETS

Well for one, CASE with an XL is useless. It'll merely stop excess ammo explosion damage from going to the center torso, and if an explosion happens in that sweet, sweet XL'd side torso, kiss that Jager goodbye anyway. Two, going 82kph doesn't do you any good with armor values like that. Sure, you can reach an engagement faster or potentially escape that D-DC who looks to be bearing down on you, but one well placed volley into either arm or leg and you're out half your weapons or half your legs and more than likely most of your center torso internals because of the damage transfer from the ammo explosions. Also, those large and sexy Jager side torsos with an XL is begging to be killed, especially with armor values like that. At least when the Iyla closes into an engagement it can survive longer and walk out of it more than likely in better shape than that Jager.

My point wasn't to say there can't be decent builds outside of what I personally set my limit too. But, I stand by my statement that the most successful builds will be non-Splatcat CPLT featuring XL engines for added mobility or mini-CTF builds that have already been proven deadly effective months ago. AKA your Mini-Mets (Gauss Jager), 20-Jager (faster 20-Cat), etc. My motto, anything a non-A1 can do Jagers can do better, anything Phracts can do Jagers can do with 5 less tons of stuff.

Edited by PapajIGC, 21 March 2013 - 02:09 AM.

#39 Igor Pawich

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

I'm going to try a dual AC10 + 4 SSRM build... Lacks backup weapons, but it's possible to swap the TAG for 1 ML or 2 SL

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...acc1067cb6735e8

#40 theDeimos

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:13 AM

View PostPapajIGC, on 21 March 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

ILYA MUROMETS

Well for one, CASE with an XL is useless. It'll merely stop excess ammo explosion damage from going to the center torso, and if an explosion happens in that sweet, sweet XL'd side torso, kiss that Jager goodbye anyway. Two, going 82kph doesn't do you any good with armor values like that. Sure, you can reach an engagement faster or potentially escape that D-DC who looks to be bearing down on you, but one well placed volley into either arm or leg and you're out half your weapons or half your legs and more than likely most of your center torso internals because of the damage transfer from the ammo explosions. Also, those large and sexy Jager side torsos with an XL is begging to be killed, especially with armor values like that. At least when the Iyla closes into an engagement it can survive longer and walk out of it more than likely in better shape than that Jager.

My point wasn't to say there can't be decent builds outside of what I personally set my limit too. But, I stand by my statement that the most successful builds will be non-Splatcat CPLT featuring XL engines for added mobility or mini-CTF builds that have already been proven deadly effective months ago.

1.: Thanks for the tip. I misinterpreted the function of case.
2.: I said I'm considering installing a smaller engine, but atm i have nothing smaller than 300xl. More armor would be nice.

And then I still have 2dhs and a med laser more ;D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users