244 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

The HPG Network, or Forums, as some like to call them, are essential to us in many ways.
We rely on organization of various forms of Feedback and ideas to allow for easy flow of this information to help us make the game better.

Similarly, the forums are very much the home of this Community in many ways. In recognition of such, I am opening up this discussion floor for ideas for how to change the forum structure to make it more intuitive and useful for you, the MechWarriors.

So, what sub-forum(s) would you like to see?

#2 Glowhollow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

maybe you should start with a "solved" Forum, or better, a sub forum, where closed threads will be saved...

I mean - for example, if a dev or an Admin has read an thread already it should be put in the category "under review" or something like that.

So we got a feedback, which thematic is interesting...

Maybe you also do some "Ranking" for Threads - that means - if a post or thread is total "off-topic" or "troll-only" - you give them 1 star of 5.

Threads, where is talking seriously and game-relevant give them 5 stars...

#3 Grandmaster Ramrod

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationComfortable Leather Chair

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Not exactly a sub-forum, nor does it warrant a whole new thread, but I was wondering if it would be possible to sort your stats by column. Wins, losses, accuracy etc. Ok, so it's nothing like a sub-forum.

No idea if this is even possible, the sum total of of my webpage design skills is

Just thought it would be nice to see at a glance which weapons I perform well with and which ones need improvement for example. But yeah, stick this one on the back burner, not exactly a priority task..

Cheers!

#4 Dorado

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern U.S.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

A DevTracker is sorely needed in my opinion. These forums move way too fast to read through hours of rage and troll every time somebody has a complaint about a new change. Right now many of us are using this thread, which is insufficient if you don't check it regularly. A proper one would be greatly appreciated.

#5 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

Two things.
  • The idea of the "hot topic heatsink" is a nice one, but there are alot of people opening threads about topics already contained in there day by day.

Suggestion: Have the user see a notice, if he is posting a thread in GD, something like: "Are you posting about a hot topic? Check out our dev-monitored subforum of popular interests!"
  • As its been discussed before, the most popular forum section is by far the GD. For this reason community run events (player leagues, streams of playoffs) get advertised in GD, only to be moved off to the "Fan Video/Audio" section a full page worth of scrolling below in the main forum page. This has been reason of many aggravations amongst organized groups. See poll for popular opinion on this.

This Section has a total of a whooping 76 threads, most were moved here, you can clearly see its failing to do its purpose being so far away and unpopular, where as the streams of such games often have 150+ viewers, more than the official streams, in short, the interest pulled would warrant a better place for it.

Suggestion:
    1, Keep the "Fan Video/Audio" section for just that, an archive of video, streams and audio podcasts.
    2, Create a new section under MWO universe section named "Community events" and have player run leagues featured there, along with their respective streams. The line between the two sections will be one is schedule team and event based, the older section is individual, spontaneous based section.

#6 Whaleman

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm preety sure, this is not the right topic to post this, but I couldn't find a bug report page, and I think, this one os important. So the bug I would like to report: On tourmaline desert, if you walk a mech atop of the ddropship wreckage, and you try to drop down, where there is an engine, or something like that next to a small cliffside, you can get stuck in the air, and not even jummppacks can get you out.

#7 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

I would love to see a subforum for each mech. That would greatly simplify searches and reduce duplication of threads immensely. Furthermore, it would be an excellent, easily accessible resource to people planning builds. Thanks you.

#8 INSEkT L0GIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

When I search for an issue to reply to, rather than starting a new one, the threads seem to show up in search in random order.

This leads to more necroing of topics than necessary.

The search results should show when the topic was started & when the last reply was made to it.

Edited by INSEkT L0GIC, 30 March 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#9 Hawkwings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 376 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

On that note, the forum search needs to be more functional. What happened to the old, good, forum search tool that we had in closed beta?

Also, any chance of getting the closed beta forums opened up again for reading? I know there's some stuff in there that I would like to read again or rescue.

#10 Edward Scissorhands

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

I would like to be able to like or dislike topics/titles displayed in the forum

#11 OMEGA-CHI

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

I would like to be able to dim my panel lights when driving my mech in a night scenario.

DFA

- 22nd Skye Rangers, House Steiner

#12 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostDFA, on 03 April 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

I would like to be able to dim my panel lights when driving my mech in a night scenario.

DFA

- 22nd Skye Rangers, House Steiner

Little off topic, but you can! With period by default. The real problem is that unlike the weapon groups, it doesn't save. So people like us who want to see more of the outside world have to press it every game, when clearly its a preference option that doesn't change every match.

#13 grayson marik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

Well, I'd like to see something like a "whats new" Page when i open the forums. So instead of scrolling down the pages, This way Information form all the forums would be better right ad hand when entering the forums.

Such a page should list all topics that got unread posts. And one should be able to select which forums to include in this news page.

As for the move and lock policy in GD, I'd like to have them stay at GD until they either: got no new answers for a week --> move them to the subforum that fits best.
Or if they are older than 4 weeks. If they even after 4 weeks get new replies, they will continue so in the subforums.

#14 Druidika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Seems like all the Hot Topic Heatsink threads are gone.

#15 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Have you guys thought about these changes from the perspective of a new player?

When I come to forums when playing a game the first thing I look for is general discussion.

And it now looks like a jumble of a mess when I look at it, even as a seasoned player I don't have any idea where I should go to post.

Seems poorly thought out if you are trying to draw in new players.

#16 Ser Barristan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWesteros

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'm slightly concerned that some of the new sub forums are redundant. A specific example being that the Gameplay section has Mech and Loadout subforums when there already is a set of mech forums in the Guide section. Granted the Gameplay forum might be intended for more mech balance discussions but I wager it will be more likely you will find the same topics being covered in both parts of the forum.

#17 benth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 23 April 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Have you guys thought about these changes from the perspective of a new player?

When I come to forums when playing a game the first thing I look for is general discussion.

And it now looks like a jumble of a mess when I look at it, even as a seasoned player I don't have any idea where I should go to post.

Seems poorly thought out if you are trying to draw in new players.

This isn't meant to draw in new players. It's meant to dismantle forumrage and criticism. It'll probably work.

They decided to burn down the forest instead of having to deal with their customers.

#18 Sizuha

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Change the forums back. The new setup has no general discussion and is a wall of subforums.

#19 von Pilsner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

View Postbenth, on 23 April 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

This isn't meant to draw in new players. It's meant to dismantle forumrage and criticism. It'll probably work.

They decided to burn down the forest instead of having to deal with their customers.

I hope it's not true (although that was the first thing to cross my mind as well), so I formally request a 'General Discussion' forum. ;)

View PostNiko Snow, on 21 March 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

So, what sub-forum(s) would you like to see?

#20 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostThontor, on 23 April 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

I would love to see a return of the recent topics list that we had in closed beta... This will be especially useful with the demise of the "one stop shop" aka "General Discussion" forum

And an expanded popular topics list... The one on the front page doesn't cut it.

Generally just a list of links to the topics most recently posted in. So I don't have to click each sub-forum to see the new topics within.

This is my big problem, there is no way to easily navigate this place now.

It was...workable? On my mobile phone before, but now it looks really bad.

Once again I ask...did you take into account the new player experience coming to these jumbled forums?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users