Using A Pretty Baby Or 9M

18 replies to this topic

#1 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

Not looking for specific builds, just curious how someone should go about planning a design for one of these. I can make any AWS-8 series fairly well in MechLab to figure out my next Awesome but I get stumped on these two.

#2 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

If you go Pretty Baby, you should go with speed. 400 XL is my suggestion, but some people prefer 380 or so with more firepower.

9M is a bit similar, but can't go up to 400 engine rating, so it's more of a hard-hitter.

#3 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPerth

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hey Mate i Know what your saying lol... When i first started playing about 2 months ago I did the noob mistake of buying MC and then buying the biggest hero mech you could get before even getting to know the intricates of the game lol (Was just so lucky i got the Ilya too which saved face a little)

Been trying figure out the best build for my PB I tried a LRM Boat with 3 LRM15's and 3 MLasers then i thought it does less of a job than a Cat.

I think i have settled for a Jack of all and master of none..
now sporting LRM20 3 Mlasers and 2 SRM6's and doing Ok - kind of a support role with a little suprise for those annoying fast guys that sprint toward you thinking "Yay free LRM Boat kill" so wish i can see there face when i unleash the SRMS at point blank hehehe (I dont let them on to the srms until they are too close to miss) once LRMS are out I join the fray and attack damged mechs from flanking posi.

It seems to work for me... But if I knew all about hard points etc.. I would not have purchased the PB.

JYI I might throw a 400 xl when i get cb's to splash around cos more speed is what i crave in the PB

#4 Cifrer

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Uh, you know once they target you they can see what weapons you have...at least if they're bright enough to pay attention

#5 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

For my Pretty Baby, I go with a LL, 2 ML, 3 SRM4+Artemis on mine with 400XL and everything else on DHS.

My 9M is gathering dust at the moment because my 8Q with 5 Large Pulse Lasers + Coolant Flush is way more fun. :P

Edited by Elizander, 19 March 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#6 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

was stumped too with the 9m, until i came up with this concept;

put some missiles in the torso and arm, put a laser in the head, and 3 ppc on the big energy hardpoints (i don't use lasers because lasers barely scratch my awesome, so why would i scratch back, no - hard hitting PPC and ER PPC)

standard engine 300
if my torsos are stripped i can still zombie it with my head medlas and my CT missiles.

Edited by Mazzyplz, 19 March 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#7 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPerth

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

View PostElizander, on 19 March 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

For my Pretty Baby, I go with a LL, 2 ML, 3 SRM4+Artemis on mine with 400XL and everything else on DHS.

My 9M is gathering dust at the moment because my 8Q with 5 Large Pulse Lasers + Coolant Flush is way more fun. :P

9m is mah next purchase then... 8 ll's that indeed sounds like a hoot! PEW PEW PEW

View PostCifrer, on 19 March 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Uh, you know once they target you they can see what weapons you have...at least if they're bright enough to pay attention

Yeah youd think that thats why i shake my head and load up the SRM's when thye just stand there pew pewing for my head lol

#8 kardam

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

400xl 3 pulse meds 3 srm6. Wins 1v1 with anyone, problems on alpine and desert though (hard to get close to the enemy without getting pummeled from long range)

#9 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

Interesting, after reading a couple of topics, I may have figured out how to get started. While I know the 400XL is usually chosen for the PB and the 385XL for 9M, I think differently when first reading these:

This topic explains how Darwins Dog picked his Cicada engine, anything higher than a 300XL gave him less tonnage for equipment than a Jenner/Raven.

This topic Phaesphoros expands the chart to all current Mechs.

Note the 9M/PB line in Phaesphoros' chart, it crosses the CTF line about 75kph, that is about a 370XL (74.9 kph) or 375XL (75.9 kph). So anything above one of these engines and you supposedly have less tonnage for equipment than a CTF running the same speed. That may have chosen my engine size for me.

(Strange note, I see the 370XL to 375XL is a 2 ton jump plus 1 more for HS but the 380XL has the same tonnage as a 375XL.)

#10 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

If you don't have the PB already, then there is no reason to get it. 9M is a better brawling chassis, with lots of energy options and good speed. PB is more of a "all over the place" mech in terms of hardpoints. It can be made a good all range mech with PPC, LL and LRM's but as a brawler it's inferior to 9M.

It's only advantage is more speed and extra 5kph which aren't worth 30$ over 9M.

Edited by Tahribator, 20 March 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#11 kardam

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

you forgot to mention additional heatsink engine slot and 30% cbills boost, for me it's worth it :P

#12 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Neither of these mechs make for good brawlers in the sense of filling the role the way an atlas or stalker would. Neither has the firepower or the resilience to hold up under fire. The 9M is best suited to direct fire support roles. It's fast and agile, and it can carry 2-3 heavy energy weapons easily. Where it suffers is up close. Nothing you do on the chassis will make it a real offensive powerhouse. Not enough missile tubes, not enough space to boat them...

PB is brawlier - but still not on par with the real big dogs. Again, it's too fragile and the hardpoints don't allow you to pack a punch the way you can on others in the class. PB is also a mech that is NOT well-suited to fire support roles. The stopping speed penalty is a huge hindrance and will get you chewed to pieces if you try to trade punches with other snipers. PB is a straight ahead striker/flanker. Play it that way and you'll do well with it. Try to shoehorn it into something it's not and it'll be a disappointment.

What's mentioned in this thread about engine size vs payload considerations is something I'd definitely take into account. The XL380 makes a great base for either mech - and you'll still run 85kph with that... And you'll have critical space there for heat sinks. Bigger than that and I think you start to hit a diminishing return to scale.

#13 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

As mentioned above both of these awesome variants excel at flanking and fire support. You can think of them as a hunchback or centurion on steroids and can play them similarly. With speed tweak you can go around 80-90 kph on these mechs allowing you to get to a forward position flanking the enemy. Their extra armor and weight will give you an advantage vs mediums, but they lack the firepower and armor to take on another assault. When combating a heavy mech you will need to do it on a case by case basis. Most Cataphracts you can kill one on one as long as they did not massively invest in firepower at the cost of speed.

The best use of this mech is at the start of the match to flank, harass and spot of lrms. Once the enemy is softened up by the main force you can then hit them hard and fast. Both of these mechs have fast spinning torsos and lasers so lights should not be a problem to drive off from your forward position, don't chase them though.

#14 Fomites

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

With the PB, I run fast, don't remember the actual engine, with 2 er ppc's and 2xsrm6 w/artemis, and almost 100% armor.

It just "feels" right to have a mix of sniping and close-in punch. I ran into a full-health commando stealing our base during a rush the other day, and was able to splash it in one lucky hit. With the speed tweak, I think I'm 86.7kph.

Edited by Fomites, 20 March 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#15 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostFomites, on 20 March 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

With the PB, I run fast, don't remember the actual engine, with 2 er ppc's and 2xsrm6 w/artemis, and almost 100% armor.

It just "feels" right to have a mix of sniping and close-in punch. I ran into a full-health commando stealing our base during a rush the other day, and was able to splash it in one lucky hit. With the speed tweak, I think I'm 86.7kph.

Yeah, I guess to clarify - I would DEFINITELY take some weapons on PB that have range to them. I carry 2 LLs on mine to give me something to apply damage with as I close to SRM range. That's certainly useful with the bigger maps in rotation now (and even on maps like caustic). I suppose I blew my point on that. If you get into a mode with PB where you think you're going to snipe effectively against other snipers, it's only going to happen if the other snipers flat out stink - or you're just not the focused target (which absolutely does happen). The 9M is just a lot better suited for that (and so are the 8Q, 8R and 8T for that matter).

#16 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Bottom line: 9M can pack more laser firepower. PB can pack more missile firepower.

They're both pretty good if used properly. I prefer the PB because I like to brawl and SRMs are better for brawling. And it has 2 SRMs on the arm so they can be aimed at some crazy angles.

That said, I don't run max size engines in either because like others have said there is a tradeoff between speed and firepower. I lean toward the firepower side.

#17 Fomites

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostBanky, on 20 March 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Yeah, I guess to clarify - I would DEFINITELY take some weapons on PB that have range to them. I carry 2 LLs on mine to give me something to apply damage with as I close to SRM range. That's certainly useful with the bigger maps in rotation now (and even on maps like caustic). I suppose I blew my point on that. If you get into a mode with PB where you think you're going to snipe effectively against other snipers, it's only going to happen if the other snipers flat out stink - or you're just not the focused target (which absolutely does happen). The 9M is just a lot better suited for that (and so are the 8Q, 8R and 8T for that matter).

Ah, I wasn't contradicting you. Those were all good points. I guess I should clarify that I'm still in the "keep it simple stupid" camp as a relative newbie, and the 2 x 2 long + short helps me focus. That said, I have had a decent bit of success with the PB...it was my gateway drug (I got the game when they launched PB) to bigger mechs, smaller mechs, and a growing stable :)

edit: i swapped the 2 erppc for 2 lpls and a tag...i had my first 835 round. I just set the tag to my lpls's and collect xp/credits from whatever other people are lrm'ing down as well. it's pretty damn sweet.

Edited by Fomites, 20 March 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#18 Mabru

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 23 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

I use my PB as a straight brawler, no they can't stay and duke it due to the XL fragility (giant torsos make this worse), but a PB moves at just under 90k with speed tweak. Unless you're focus fired down, a PB can be fearsome at short range. It's just getting that close that presents a challenge. With the 400xl speed and the twist on the PB you can stay in an Atlas' blind spot all day long.

I'm currently running 3xSRM6 with artemis, 3ML, and AMS for those times when I slip out of cover. My 9M is setup more as a long(er) range mech, less speed but better ranges.

#19 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

My 9M is my most successful mech in my bay. I even built my Trebuchet to mirror him. :rolleyes:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4b3b2ffada5677d

Just did nearly 1000 damage with him tonight in a match. Brutal weapon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users